GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 GTI Oil Drain Plug - Hex Key (Allen Key)

barische

Go Kart Champion
I changed the oil today, had to re-use the hex plug back on. I was thinking the washer on the original 19mm that i took from past oil change would come off but would not make it past the threads.

I put a copper washer on the hex plug and torqued it down. Filled it up with oil. Drove about 50 miles checked it three times no leaks yet. knock on wood.

I just ordered the 19mm original drain bolt and Magnetic plug from ECS which will install soon to be on the safe side. hex plug has about half threads of original 19mm. seems like i was able to get a good crush on the copper so its not leaking.

P

plac

hex plug has about half threads of original 19mm. seems like i was able to get a good crush on the copper so its not leaking.

the hex plug is the proper size. the long 19mm bolt is way too long. its not supposed to go in half an inch past the threads..

GTIwannagofast

Ready to race!
VW/Audi have actually issued a new updated drain plug (using a 10mm alum crush washer) to replace both the 18mm plugs and the 6mm hex plugs. Techs have been having issues with removing the 18mm plugs, and having the brand new 19mm plugs leaking after being torqued to spec. Newer pans designed for the 6mm hex were built with the 18mm bolt installed and the washer +paint sealed the oil. As soon as the bolt was unscrewed, the seal with lost and it would leak oil.

Basically if you crack the drain bolt loose and it leaks oil immediately, replace with the updated T45 torx bolt + crush washer. Most VW/Audi dealers stock it and know what it is. I'll try and post a picture and a PN tomorrow.

i recently did an oil change... removed the original black 18mm hex head bolt, and replaced it with the 19mm hex head bolt from VW. when i removed the 18mm bolt, as soon as it was cracked loose, oil started coming out. now this 19mm hex head (with the washer attached) as a small dribble coming from it. has it been confirmed that this 6mm hex key plug or the T45 plug with the round washers are sealing this type of leak?? anyone else experience this, and have another suggestion for fixing it??

GTIProject

Ready to race!
Check out my posts on the matter. The original 18mm hex plugs will seal when brand new due to the thick e-coating from the supplier. Once cracked loose the new style pans require the hex/torx plug with the round aluminum crush washer to seal it. The 19mm hex will leak since the washer does not seal on the head of the bolt and oil gets past the threads.

siliconcenturion

Go Kart Champion
Sorry for the bump.
GTIProject, did you ever get the P/N for the crush washer?
Also, does the torque change? (I have it written down as 22 ft lb / 30 Nm)
Thanks

boostedmk6

Go Kart Champion
Just a quick question:

I went to pick up a new crush washer for my original 18mm (standard socket) drain plug at the dealer and they only had the new 19mm (standard socket) plug with aluminum washer already installed (that doesn't come off).

Am I going to have any leaks?

Last edited:

lon888

Ready to race!
Went to the dealership a few days ago to get my 30,000 mile oil change and check-up. Apparently they sucked the oil out of my car because the parts list did not show a new drain plug or washer. I'm glad I'll do all of my oil changes after this - I don't like the idea of dirty oil being sucked out rather than draining out.

Nitron

Ready to race!
My 2012 came with the 6mm hex key plug. I tried swapping it out with ECS magnet plug/washer this weekend. Soon afterwards I noticed a dripping leak, even tightening to 22 ft lbs. I put the hex key plug back in without a washer and the leaking stopped. If the hex key plug continues to work, I'll just keep using that.

climhazzard

Well, sure enough out of paranoia I look under my car this morning and my drain plug has a very slow drip. I have a '12 GTI that originally had the Hex Key plug and I replaced it with the standard 19mm during the first oil change. I've done a few oil changes since and never had a leak up until now (around 11k miles), so maybe it isn't always immediate. The other variable is that typically my friend changes the oil and we use a new bolt each time, but the last change was done during the 10k mile service by the dealership. There was no drain plug listed on my invoice, so I'm guessing they just reused the one that was already on there. Luckily it was a very slow drip and didn't have any sort of noticeable effect on oil level (I typically check once a week).

I brought the car into the dealership this morning as I didn't want to keep driving around with it leaking, just in case it somehow worsened. Unfortunately the dealership didn't have the new Torx plug in stock that GTIProject mentioned, so they cut the old steel washer off the existing plug and used a round aluminum type (N-013-815-7), which seems to have sealed properly. After a quick Google, this part # looks like the aluminum washer GTIProject said should be used with the Torx plug.

GTIProject, would you be able to confirm this is the correct part number? Some of the other members in the thread had asked for it so I hope this helps.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Went to the dealership a few days ago to get my 30,000 mile oil change and check-up. Apparently they sucked the oil out of my car because the parts list did not show a new drain plug or washer. I'm glad I'll do all of my oil changes after this - I don't like the idea of dirty oil being sucked out rather than draining out.

Lol Merc has been sucking the oil out of their cars for years. If anything it does a better job of getting it all out.

I just changed the oil in the wifes GLI and it uses a T45 torx bit instead of the hex bit which I like a lot better. Will probably pick one up for my car.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
Well, sure enough out of paranoia I look under my car this morning and my drain plug has a very slow drip. I have a '12 GTI that originally had the Hex Key plug and I replaced it with the standard 19mm during the first oil change. I've done a few oil changes since and never had a leak up until now (around 11k miles), so maybe it isn't always immediate. The other variable is that typically my friend changes the oil and we use a new bolt each time, but the last change was done during the 10k mile service by the dealership. There was no drain plug listed on my invoice, so I'm guessing they just reused the one that was already on there. Luckily it was a very slow drip and didn't have any sort of noticeable effect on oil level (I typically check once a week).

I brought the car into the dealership this morning as I didn't want to keep driving around with it leaking, just in case it somehow worsened. Unfortunately the dealership didn't have the new Torx plug in stock that GTIProject mentioned, so they cut the old steel washer off the existing plug and used a round aluminum type (N-013-815-7), which seems to have sealed properly. After a quick Google, this part # looks like the aluminum washer GTIProject said should be used with the Torx plug.

GTIProject, would you be able to confirm this is the correct part number? Some of the other members in the thread had asked for it so I hope this helps.

a part number for the hex bolt would be great too. as far as i am understanding, you have to purchase the bolt + aluminum washer (N-013-815-7) right?

climhazzard

a part number for the hex bolt would be great too. as far as i am understanding, you have to purchase the bolt + aluminum washer (N-013-815-7) right?

Do you mean the hex key that comes from the factory? Unfortunately I have no idea what the part # for that is, but GTIProject (who I believe is an Audi tech) said the new bolt we should be using has a Torx head, and is N91 167 901. He posted more details on post #51 within this thread.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
Do you mean the hex key that comes from the factory? Unfortunately I have no idea what the part # for that is, but GTIProject (who I believe is an Audi tech) said the new bolt we should be using has a Torx head, and is N91 167 901. He posted more details on post #51 within this thread.

true. ill guess ill just ask the dealer for a standard aluminum round washer and see what they give me.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
I meant to post this the other day but I was changing the oil in my wifes GLI (same engine) and her car has a T42(?) Torx bit instead of the crappy allen. Just incase yall want to change to something a bit more robust just ask for a 2013 GLI drain plug.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II