GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 2+(K04) Impressions

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
After reading through Allset’s thread yesterday I was inspired to create this thread. First, I just want to be clear with everyone, I had nowhere near the problems he had going on since he was stage 2. I didn’t reach out to Unitronic because of any problems I was having, I wanted to run a tune designed for methanol injection. Even though I knew my car wasn’t running 100% I wasn’t convinced or had any reason to believe it had anything to do with software. So I emailed John@UNI after talking to U-20t who runs the same meth kit on his big turbo build. Let me just tell you John and the overall customer service I received from UNI sealed the deal for me.

Just think about your experiences with whatever tuner you have and compare them to this:

1. When I walked into my dealer’s shop he tells me that UNI had called him to discuss my situation. I was shocked right there, and so was he because he flashes all the big 3 companies, then while I was waiting I received an email from John making sure everything was ok. I was very impressed.

2. After my switch I ran some logs and emailed them to John. He personally called me on a Saturday and went over my logs line by line with me. How many technical directors of whoever your tuner is has personally called you to go over your logs? He knows his shit, he isn’t just a salesman running shit on you. For me personally I learned something, and I was impressed even more.

3. The willingness to work with the hardware you want to run. Some tuners will not tune for methanol, which is understandable to me. But Uni gave me a base K04 file, I ran a bunch of logs and sent it to them and they are in the process of writing me a custom map to suit my needs and hardware the best.

The bottom line is my car runs better now that I am with Uni. The car also feels faster and I’m not even tuned for the meth yet. I can’t wait for that!!

I only started having issues when I went K04 in January. My issues with my old tune seemed to be pretty common in the K04 threads:

1. Overboosting – Just to be clear I didn’t have the severe oscillation issues some people were experiencing, but requested was always lower than actual boost, and I’m not talking about by 20 or 50 mbar either.

2. CF – On a 93 oct map I would pull up to 6 degrees of timing at times. This even with methanol!!!! This was not a constant issue, some of my logs looked good, some not so good.

3. Misfires – I used to get misfires intermittently under load, but always used to get them in neutral when I rev up to around 3000rpm. Again nowhere near as severe as Paul, but enough to know it shouldn’t be happening. I tried platinum plugs and iridium plugs as well as oem plugs. I also have r8 coil packs.

So again I will say these issue were minor. The car was still quick imo. But I wanted to run a aggressive map with my Aquamist HFS-4 methanol injection system. I didn’t feel comfortable advancing timing further when I couldn’t even get my 93 map not to pull timing even with methanol. After switching to Uni all of these issues are gone. I don’t misfire. I don’t pull timing even though the Uni file runs more timing and I don’t overboost at all. Since the switch the car is running like it should. The power is smooth and I have to say faster, even without the methanol integrated in the tune yet.

Just to be clear I payed full price for Unitronic’s software. I was not influenced in any way to create this thread aside from what Paul posted yesterday. Unitronic and John deserve the attention. They are a pleasure to deal with and the results speak for themselves.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Yes the custom map they are writing for me will require meth at all times. You don't have to go that route though. Their stage 2+ software only requires pump fuel

Cant wait to see what its like with the meth tuned in, its going to fly.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Once you're tuned for meth there's no going back, I put it back into pump mode yesterday and it was just boring. Have fun:thumbsup:

dave80

Go Kart Champion
Good to hear they are tweaking your tune for meth. If only Uni had map switching option I would be switching over.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Good to hear they are tweaking your tune for meth. If only Uni had map switching option I would be switching over.

I hear you Dave. I never switched programs though. Only for NYS inspections. Right now I have an AWE downpipe so I don't need to worry about it

allset

Go Kart Champion
i plan on doing the same, not as aggressive as matt. But enough to take advange of 240-280 cc/m though the far IC hose bung and Post TB bung. UNI will custom tune to advance enough to squeeze some more power.