GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom SUB Install is complete!!!! MANY PICS

wargasm594

Ready to race!
Hello all,

Originally I was going to go with a JL stealth box but ended up going with the Simplicity in Sound guys per Jason's recommendation :thumbup:

I didn't care how big the box was, my requirements were that this thing THUMP and that I can still get to my spare tire.

All I can say is SiS is friggin amazing. I have never had the privilege to ever deal with an install shop of this integrity and caliber.

The SUB & AMP combo is insane. The output is truly amazing and the fact there isn't one ounce of distortion or a single rattle no matter how high you crank it is truly phenomenal

I couldn't be happier!

My YELP Review
http://www.yelp.com/biz/simplicity-in-sound-milpitas#hrid:qvW3JU8w70Z5qWRxuaHl7A

SiS Webpage
http://www.simplicity.elitecaraudio.org/

Copy & Paste from Bing's Install log
For anyone who has followed our build logs, you are probably used to seeing all inclusive SQ projects where we replace everything. The truth is, we are usually quite busy with these types of builds that we hardly have time for smaller projects.

This car however, was an exception. It was referred to us by a long time friend in the industry, and we just happened to have a lil extra time to squeeze him in.

this marks only the second time Simplicity In Sound has performed a subwoofer add on build...some of you may remember the last one :):

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...9756-adding-subwoofer-system-lexus-is350.html

this time, with joey's talent, we took it a step further. :)

The car is a brand spanking new 2013 Volkswagen Golf Tdi, the customer has had pretty poor experiences previously with local audio shops and was a bit hesitant at taking another shot at it. but with the help of our friend, he handed us the keys and laid down these goals:

1. On a reasonable budget, obtain the maximum amount of music bass possible

2. retain full access to spare tire

3. retain the ability to fold down the backseat to pass long items through

thats it...basically as you can imagine, this dictated a side enclosure, and we played around with various designs, and ended going with a single 10" sub, the by now trusted audiomobile elite 2210.

lets get started.

first, we had to figure out a fuse holder for him, so Joey fabricated one from metal that bolts to OEM mounting spots and houses a single MAXI fuse holder

I was responsible for the wiring and amp rack, while joey took care of the sub enclosure, since most of the wiring is tucked under the factory jute and out of sight, i can only take pics of where it enters the channel and where it exists by the back seat.

I also installed a remote bass knob in one of his knock out panels infront of the shifter, but neither of us remembered to take a picture of it lol, but its basically like this one i did previously:

we removed the driver side foam storage bin, and i installed two rivet nuts on the floor:

and then i made a simple carpted board to act as the amp rack and bolted it in place:

i then installed a single arc audio KS300.2 amp and a customer supplied Audiocontrol LC2i on the board and wired it all up. the LC2i wasnt really needed for the dynaudio system but he had it anyway and it provided a remote bass port:

so that was my job done :) onto the bass part!

So as mentioned earlier, the customer wanted as much bass as possible, but we were still limited by where the spare tire sat. but in the end, Joey managed to build a very cool PORTED enclosure of 1.5 cubic foot tuned at 38HZ, plotted on bassbox pro.

to make it blend in better, it features a combination of vinyl and carpet with cool shaped front grille piece and a smaller trim panel with a raised vinyl logo.

it should be stated that the projected started as a simple carpeted side enclosure that evolved to what you see hear all due to Joey's enthusiasm and dedication. He kept the customer involved at every step and when it came to what kind of logo he wanted on the front trim piece, he gave us a Battle Axe image to use, a personal touch to the design. it is a simple press fit piece so we also made him a blank one that he can swap out later if he feels like it.

the front of the box has a TON of detail work that really shows of Joey's ability. so here is the final result:

pop off the grille, which is press fit AND held on by magnets, and you get a closer look at the Audiomobile elite2210 and the slot port:

So, lets take a quick look at the build process of the box, keeping mind its joey's work so we may be skipping several steps at a time hahhahaha

first, the area was taped off:

then fiberglass was laid down, the mold popped out, trimmed and attached to various MDF pieces (yall will just have to take my word for it :D)

this is the inside of the port:

and mold cloth pulled between the mdf frame and the fiberglass back mold:

once that was resined, cured and reinforced, joey got to work on the front baffle, with drawings of where all the trim pieces will go:

when that was done, the area was tapped off again so the edges can be blended to precisely match the curvature of the oem carpet:

at the same time, two big rivet nuts were installed into the floor to which the subbox will bolt:

this is the entire back portion of the box sans the front baffle:

and the front baffle attached with the trim pieces secured. filler was then applied in between to form the press fit walls that go around the trim panels:

when thats all sanded and the trim piece routed and prepped, it looks like this:

mocking up the battle axe logo:

and vinyl being applied to the grille piece, after this, grille mesh was secured to it, forming the removable grille

when all the pieces were upholstered, and the subbox bolted in place, this is what it looks like before the sub, grille and factory floor panels went back on

so thats it...i have to say, when we were discussing a big ole PORTED box for a side enclosure of a Golf, i was skeptical on how it can look, but really, what joey came up with both provides a TON of output AND it looks clean...pretty cool feat if you ask me.

I only got to listen to the car briefly before i had to leave, but i have to say its a shocking amout of output for a single 10 off of 700 watts RMS (keeping in mind i am an SQ head haha)...

I will let joey give his impression on the car and how the sub sounded ported. :)

cheers,

Bing

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
I guess I cant yell and scream at them now....................... damnit, they did a really nice job. I hope you are enjoying it. They are really proud of your enclosure. They are getting a lot of kudos from our industry group online.

See not all audio shops are rip offs........ :) you just gotta know which ones are the ones to go to. :)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
That looks like a quite a amazing custom box! My only complaint would be that it is slightly on the bigger side!

wargasm594

Ready to race!
That looks like a quite a amazing custom box! My only complaint would be that it is slightly on the bigger side!

It was weird at first I was like I need small box - but when I was standing there explaining what I want I said F it I'll kick myself in the ass if this thing doesn't slam. Basically said as long as I can get to my spare knock yourself out with the box size lol....

GreezyChef

Ready to race!
It was weird at first I was like I need small box - but when I was standing there explaining what I want I said F it I'll kick myself in the ass if this thing doesn't slam. Basically said as long as I can get to my spare knock yourself out with the box size lol....

dude dont sweat the size. it looks amazing. wish i could hear it.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Looks better than OEM would be, nice, professional craftsmanship.

BrockB22

I know this is SUPER old but I am trying to install a Stealthbox and amp into my GTI. I also have the Dynaudio sound system and I noticed above that they stated "the LC2i wasn't necessary because it had the Dynaudio sound system."

That contradicts almost everything I have seen stated on the forums due to the "rolling off" of the bass with increased volume. I would like to hope this is correct because it will save me money and time. Does anyone have an answer?

And more importantly, can anyone link me to a post w/ pictures of a step by step install of a Mono amp and sub? Like I need pictures of how and which wires to tap and what location. I have seen some say to tap at the factory amp under the seat and others say at the rear back speakers. HELP.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
The Dynaudio system is coded for line level outputs to the factory amplifier. Technically you could piggyback RCA ends off the HU before the amplifier and connect directly to your aftermarket amp. I’ll see if I still have the wiring diagram on my computer or not.

EDIT: It has been a while since I used the factory deck, but I could have sworn the bass rolloff wasn’t as bad when the radio was coded for Dynaudio mode. Either that or I set the amp to max out BEFORE the rolloff, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
You can use the LC2i with the Dynaudio setup. I've done this in my buddy's '13 GTI. Don't worry about the bass rolloff.