GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

quick question: Clunk on acceleration from a stop, and vibration on acceleration

herbiedriver

Ready to race!
So my GTI has (within the last week) started to have a vibration under acceleration, almost like the exhaust is hitting the firewall... and under certain circumstances, there is a clunk when I take off...

Would this be an indication of the dogbone insert finally breaking down? Or should I look at something else if I can get the car in the air this weekend?

Thanks!

Uberryan

Banned
How many miles, exhaust mods, and is it a DSG?

Sachz71

Mine doing the same , passenger side . When i take off .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

herbiedriver

Ready to race!
Still too cold to crawl under, but here are some specs:
6spd manual
3" downpipe, hi flow cat
72000 miles
Not traction control
the vibration is felt throughout the shifter and pedals

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Got an aftermarket intake? Vibrations in the pedals make me thing it could be the intake resting on the brake line, but I don't know why the shifter would be vibrating too. I'm not too confident that's what your issue is, but if you don't have the stock airbox it's worth checking out.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Got an aftermarket intake? Vibrations in the pedals make me thing it could be the intake resting on the brake line, but I don't know why the shifter would be vibrating too. I'm not too confident that's what your issue is, but if you don't have the stock airbox it's worth checking out.

This is true. Had this issue with my APR intake.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
So my GTI has (within the last week) started to have a vibration under acceleration, almost like the exhaust is hitting the firewall... and under certain circumstances, there is a clunk when I take off...

Would this be an indication of the dogbone insert finally breaking down? Or should I look at something else if I can get the car in the air this weekend?

Thanks!
Hey I wonder if this is the same noise I've been experiencing. I'm stage 2 cobb full tbe and after coming to a complete stop, if I slowly press throttle nothing happens. If I add slightly.more pressure if not punch it, I get a creaking, grinding noise in the middle of the undercarraige. Felt through the dsg shifter and very lightly in the pedals. I replaced the subframe stretch bolts with the full thread audi versions and it still does it. Sounds like it's coming from subframe or dogbone even. I just hope it's not tranny or clutch packs. Did you figure this out?? Also a side note, it only ever does it during initial acceleration. After it does it it doesn't happen again until I stop and hit throttle again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Hey I wonder if this is the same noise I've been experiencing. I'm stage 2 cobb full tbe and after coming to a complete stop, if I slowly press throttle nothing happens. If I add slightly.more pressure if not punch it, I get a creaking, grinding noise in the middle of the undercarraige. Felt through the dsg shifter and very lightly in the pedals. I replaced the subframe stretch bolts with the full thread audi versions and it still does it. Sounds like it's coming from subframe or dogbone even. I just hope it's not tranny or clutch packs. Did you figure this out?? Also a side note, it only ever does it during initial acceleration. After it does it it doesn't happen again until I stop and hit throttle again.

Pop your hood and check if its touching the lines or very close to them! Very common issue

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Hey! Check if what is touching what lines? It sounds more mechanical and grindy or creaking rather than two parts touching.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Hey! Check if what is touching what lines? It sounds more mechanical and grindy or creaking rather than two parts touching.

Look where your intake passes over the brake master cylinder. Theres brake lines there too, the intake can rub the lines causing vibration and grinding sounds to be transferred to the firewall and pedals. I also had a similar sound when my down pipe hanger broke and it was vibrating against the subframe.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Ahh. I wish it was that simple of a sound and I appreciate the help. It's definitely in the center of the car around the subframe or the dogbone mount. I feel it only with a launch or a hard accel after a complete stop. Never after or during driving.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Turns out it was the downpipe mount that was destroyed and making the vibrations and cranking noise so thank God it wasn't anything more than the $50 mount.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Look where your intake passes over the brake master cylinder. Theres brake lines there too, the intake can rub the lines causing vibration and grinding sounds to be transferred to the firewall and pedals. I also had a similar sound when my down pipe hanger broke and it was vibrating against the subframe.
This...Thank you Sir.