GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Technical Understanding: Intakes: Stock vs. Drop In vs. Aftermarket

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, interesting. I do mostly city driving where I just scoot around - that is where the Carbonio shows good gains for me. DSG in city traffic shifts early which is great for relaxed, effortless commuting.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I love good discussion :D

Turn8

Ready to race!
you are going from stock to APR tune + carbonio, or you already have the tune and are getting the intake? dyno with tune and intake doesn't say much unless its dyno with stage 1 and stock airbox vs. stage 1 w/carbonio. i'm in to see logs.

Correct, I already have a stage 1 tune with the stock intake. So, I'll be comparing the stage 1 tune with the stock intake vs. stage 1 tune with APR/Carbonio intake.

Mike

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Different car, different conditions, different location, etc. etc. etc.

McQueen77

Banned
Correct, I already have a stage 1 tune with the stock intake. So, I'll be comparing the stage 1 tune with the stock intake vs. stage 1 tune with APR/Carbonio intake.

Mike

cool

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Buy a pflo and test it. Bet it is same or better at high rpm than carbonio.

Bender1

Banned
Incorrect. If you use a single vehicle for all runs or logs that vehicle with that specific tune funtions as a CONTROL. You will still have a small sample size as obviously n=1.

I would not say test an AWE CCBI intake with a GIAC tune against a Carbonio with an APR tune. But you could definately test both intakes on the same car with the same tune. I would recommend though only comparing Intakes such as Carbonio and Neuspeed that keep the MAF in the stock location using an APR tune.

I picked up a Carbonio today at PureMS. Looks like I made a good choice.

I think this is a valid argument. Perhaps the better way to do this comparison is WITHIN a given tune.

So you would have
Stock w intake X, Y, Z
APR w intake X, Y, Z
GIAC w intake X, Y, Z
Unitronic w intake X, Y, Z
Etc.

just thinking that would give people really the best actionable data...

That said, we are talking sample sizes that we can't get at.

Apexeater

Ready to race!
Thanks again, I think there is some great info in there. We need more people willing to do this kind of testing. How about a IC comparison next :)

I would like to continue the conversation Bender started though. To me there is a potential flaw in the testing methodology (for anyone who is not K04). The problem I see is the difference in air demands between the stock IHI turbo and your KO4. You have shown very nicely the aftermarket intakes flow better with the increased demands but with a stock turbo the flow is going to be less and the difference will be less pronounced. Isn't a K04 moving more air thus making the lack of movement the stock box can provide a bigger problem?

The reason I ask is I want to know (and I think a large number of people) the advantages between one brand and another may not be a big a deal until we jump into the big boy pool with a K04.

I think the difference in tunes to be a small matter when compared to the above issue.

Please feel free to poke holes in my theory.

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
Thanks again, I think there is some great info in there. We need more people willing to do this kind of testing. How about a IC comparison next :)

I would like to continue the conversation Bender started though. To me there is a potential flaw in the testing methodology (for anyone who is not K04). The problem I see is the difference in air demands between the stock IHI turbo and your KO4. You have shown very nicely the aftermarket intakes flow better with the increased demands but with a stock turbo the flow is going to be less and the difference will be less pronounced. Isn't a K04 moving more air thus making the lack of movement the stock box can provide a bigger problem?

The reason I ask is I want to know (and I think a large number of people) the advantages between one brand and another may not be a big a deal until we jump into the big boy pool with a K04.

I think the difference in tunes to be a small matter when compared to the above issue.

So you want to be a brand that isn't the best because it's not that far behind unless you're running a K04? Why not just buy the best from the beginning?

Bender1

Banned

Missing my point. My point is more that many tuners may tune to their products (as they should). As a result, using one tune with other products is not necessarily indicative of anything to do with said product, but rather with said tune.

Apexeater

Ready to race!
So you want to be a brand that isn't the best because it's not that far behind unless you're running a K04? Why not just buy the best from the beginning?

I guess I am trying to say that what is best for a K04 may not be the best for a stock turbo and the differences shown here may not out weigh other value judgments such as sound or appearance.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a valuable tool that Grambles has done for us. I am just trying to understand where the value lies for us who are not K04.

Apexeater

Ready to race!
Missing my point. My point is more that many tuners may tune to their products (as they should). As a result, using one tune with other products is not necessarily indicative of anything to do with said product, but rather with said tune.

I see your point but you think that is a bigger factor than volume of air moved between a K04 and a IHI?