GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MASTER CLUTCH APPLICATION GUIDE - WHAT DO WE REALLY NEED?

A_Bowers

I've been on the Southbend Stage 3 disc for almost 5000 miles, and those 5k miles have not been easy miles. No drop clutch or heavy slippage but, hard on the throttle quick precise shifts and have had zero issues. The unit still has plenty of grab and grip but engagement has gotten much better. My OEM unit on my 2012 GTI with APR stage 2 slipped almost 800 miles after being flashed.

I'm 100% confident this clutch will hold stage 2 power levels all day long. The jury is still out on its ability to hold K04 power. I know some have reported it to hold the power, but the weak link at that is the pressure plate.

I'll try and keep my review thread (see signature) and this updated with info as power progresses on my car

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

A_Bowers

Allset runs the disk only on K04, I will put it to the test as well soon.

Yeah...he hasnt had any problems yet which is good. What my ultimate goal is with my build. I'm going to need a more substantial setup. :-/

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Dadasracecar

Ready to race!
I'll be having a SB stage 2 endurance silent clutch and steel smf along with a peloquin LSD installed at NGP on 1/25. I'll report back after the install.

2010 GTI 4dr autobahn, APR stg2, AWE tbe, ECS sways, Vogtland springs, SS lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HP+, Unibrace XB, tracked frequently.

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Hyde for letting me know about this thread.

So, I keep jumping back and forth between the FX350 and FX400 full face clutches. Not really sure which one I want. I kind of want something thats nice and grab like the FX400, but at the same time I want something that'll last a while like the 350. There is not a lot of traffic in my area but when I head back to the Philly area to visit my folks its just all stop and go.

Also I would like to go to K04 at sometime soon, so that may make me want to pick up the FX400 for the extra margin of holding strength.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Umm...this thread is full of win

:STICKY:

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
SB is now using Exedy in some of their kits. Exedy is good shit and should solve the issues they have had in the past as well as being higher quality. I have always planned on going with SB stage 3 endurance as my car will see the track both 1/4 mi and road tracks and gets a work out on the street. I also like this clutch because it should give a little stiffer pedal feel (which I think this car despratly needs) and handle whatever I end up doing turbo wise. It is a whole kit with LW steel flywheel which is lighter then stock but not too light that will make it loud and harder to deal with. Also this is what APR recommends and I trust them to recommend products because they have knowledge and expirence with those products.

fraydknot

Passed Driver's Ed
Well Thanks! For the PM Hyde

I will start this off by saying that I am an Aerospace Designer and my car nut friend is an Aerospace Engineer and we work together on various projects. He owns a Cobra GT500 Mustang that he has heavily modified and is producing over 800hp at the wheels. With that being said we feel stupid looking at the MKVI's self adjusting PP. LOL

I ordered the SB Stage 3 drop in disk, because I had the typical 5th gear slippage, even though I read what seemed to be a lot of failure due possibly to an incorrect PP adjustment reset.
We tore my car down (2012 MKVI 20,000 miles) and we just could not get ourselves to put it back together with the new disk. We both felt that the problem was the PP not the disk. The stock disk was still thicker that the replacement and there seemed to be very little wear on it. After spending hours trying to reset the adjustment ring on the stock PP we said F it. I found this tech video on how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3xm...e_gdata_player and I just could not get myself to want to reuse it as it did not seem like it could be "reset"
I am returning the drop in disk and I am having Jon at SB next day a cryo'd Stage 2 endurance full kit. It is a new design with an updated spring. I have read a lot of the failure threads and see where people that have had the failures have bastardized their next setup and then still blamed SB. I will be more than happy to share any problems that come up and eat my words if I am wrong. I bought my car on the last week of May 2012 and put on about 3700 miles per month, so I will find out quick how long it will last.

So put me in for a Cryo'd 2013 SB Stage 2 Endurance Silent, maybe add the year to it and see if SB has maybe turned it around.
I am Stage 1 and will go Stage 2 as soon as I break in this clutch that will be installed by weeks end.

Also, I called VW and asked if I could buy a new OEM PP and I was told that they needed my Vin# to make sure I got the correct one. His reason was because there are more than one for the MKVI. I declined to give my vin just in case I was going to be entered into the "who's been modded" list.