GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY How to replace the PCV valves assembly on your 2.0T TSI engine

Shoefly

I've got a 2012 with 32k miles with a bad PCV. Will be changing it myself tonight. Last item on the list is to clear any DTC codes.

I know I can get it scanned at Autozone for free, but how do I go about clearing if it's throwing a PCV code still?

Also--dealer wanted to charge me over $760 to replace this (including a $75 oil change) :eek:

Last edited:
I've got a 2012 with 32k miles with a bad PVC. Will be changing it myself tonight. Last item on the list is to clear any DTC codes.

I know I can get it scanned at Autozone for free, but how do I go about clearing if it's throwing a PVC code still?

Also--dealer wanted to charge me over $760 to replace this (including a $75 oil change) :eek:

You can try to find someone local to you with a Vagcom to help.

Shoefly

You can try to find someone local to you with a Vagcom to help.

Any harm in not clearing them?

Also, has anyone had engine damage as a result of this? I realized my PCV was bad after hearing grinding engine noise mid-turn, followed by the low-pressure oil light. Had been hearing a similar noise the last few days when turning. Worried about future problems as a result. Dealer doesn't seem concerned, says there's no way to tell.

Last edited:
Any harm in not clearing them?

Also, has anyone had engine damage as a result of this? I realized my PCV was bad after hearing grinding engine noise mid-turn, followed by the low-pressure oil light. Had been hearing a similar noise the last few days when turning. Worried about future problems as a result. Dealer doesn't seem concerned, says there's no way to tell.

The only damage you can expect would be blowing out the rear main seal. You would know this as you would have an oil leak. You should have the codes cleared as this will help you determine if future issues pop up.

Shoefly

The only damage you can expect would be blowing out the rear main seal. You would know this as you would have an oil leak. You should have the codes cleared as this will help you determine if future issues pop up.

Great, thanks.

Literally *just* changed the PCV. Took maybe 15 minutes tops. All seems to run fine now and didn't hear any air leaks.

Also-- does the TSI engine usually sound so clicky? I guess I've never had it running with the hood up, but it was surprisingly noisy.

Jeff43

Ready to race!
**EDIT** I believe I found the rear breather hose here:

https://deutscheautoparts.com/pcv-tub-2-0-t-tsi-06j103213d.html

Thanks for the great DIY...

Could you repost the link to the rear breather tube the previous one in the thread just goes to the AC version of the valve.

I just had a smoke test done and my pcv valve and rear hose to intake pipe were leaking so I'd like to purchase both at the same time...

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jeff43

Ready to race!
Just ordered the pcv valve and breather tube. Thanks again Paul for the great DIY and pricing on the parts.

Jeff

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Quick question everyone. I'm about to replace my PCV valve and both hoses; along with my Intake Manifold; have several issues all tied together, to include a leaking rear main seal due to over-pressure...

Anyway, I was looking over the DIY (Really helpful, thanks!) from Deutsche Auto Parts and I am just curious how to get the rear hose off of the intake pipe? It looks like you just squeeze, but mine isn't coming off so I just wanted to confirm before I break something...

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
Thank you for a great helpful thread
Quick question.
After replacing a PCV valve how would you test it to make sure its working correctly?

Last edited:

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
anyone know if you have to remove the whole pcv to replace the pcv breather hose at the rear?

Mine just went bad jason, replacing the damn thing hopefully monday. Hope chiraq isnt too bad