GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Mystery

MrRitt

I have a perplexing clutch issue with 2013 GLI( same as GTI). Bought the car with 28K on it...had run over a curb and damaged the bottom of tranny where engine mount connects. Pulled tranny, welded it up, re-tapped the engine mount and installed.

Started it for a test run and it would not go into first...oops forgot to bleed clutch. Did the clutch bleed and the car performed perfectly...for two days.

Stopped at a light and would not go into first again...barely dragging, could put it into first and then start it. Carefully dove it home with the clutch disengaging 90%. Read that sometimes a bubble can show up in the system after bleeding...maybe beyond the bleed valve in the slave. Re-bled system...took it to dealer buddy, they re-bled system...no dice, still will not fully disengage.

No o-ring leaks, no throw out noise, no drips out of trans to indicate slave problem, clutch still fully engages, so slipping...just will not fully disengage. So, I did the last resort before having to pull tranny...AGAIN. Changed the clutch master and still same problem. What the @&$ could it be...linkage bent.

I am afraid to pull the trans and not be able to physically see a problem. Feels like the pressure plate and clutch are still good. Could a slave randomly go out at 28k and not leak...? Could there be an air bubble in the slave cylinder...did not bench bleed it on reinstall, because it was already functioning,

Any insight would be much appreciated...want to have the problem identified before moving forward.