GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Skipped Gears

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
Hey all... okay so this is going to be the 3rd time overall my DSG has skipped gears in the past 4/5months, and I have no idea why, i have skipped from 2nd to 6th in "Manual" 2x and 3rd to 5th/6th 1x....My car is at 67k miles, I want to go stage 2 soon before the end of the year but now I'm worried...safe to assume this is not normal? Any ideas what the issue can be? Or should i just go to the stealership and let them look at it?

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Hey all... okay so this is going to be the 3rd time overall my DSG has skipped gears in the past 4/5months, and I have no idea why, i have skipped from 2nd to 6th in "Manual" 2x and 3rd to 5th/6th 1x....My car is at 67k miles, I want to go stage 2 soon before the end of the year but now I'm worried...safe to assume this is not normal? Any ideas what the issue can be? Or should i just go to the stealership and let them look at it?
When was the last time u flushed ur transmission? Your 7k past the power train warranty. If u have a trusted mechanic I'd go there instead. It could be your mechatronics going bad.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I am no expert on these cars by no means, but since the DSG is controlled by a TCU I would think you could somehow try to reset it somehow. Seems like a glitch or something never heard of a DSG doing this.

Look up if there is a way to reset the TCU either through VAGCOM or just by pulling the battery cables for 30 min or so.

Again, I am not familiar with the technique or if it is even possible, but worth a try vs paying a mechanic.

I do hope its something simple. Maybe it is your fluid level or something? If you havent had the DSG serviced you know its due at 40k miles right? Maybe its low on fluid? Where was the service done at?

Please keep us posted on this issue....curious.

Good Luck..

Jeff

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
Sorry also forgot to mention this is during "spritied/agressive" driving/takeoff not during normal cruising....also car was purchased at 59k stock, brought it to VW right after, was up to date according to them and had water pump and clockspring replaced under recall

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Maybe Try doing the basic settings and defined test drive with VCDS and see how it goes, might be all that is needed! It does however sound to me a lot like a failing mechatronic unit, the three DSG cars I’ve owned all had issues, so much so i took the last one back (mechatronics failed) to the seller a week after purchase and swapped it for a manual, have you scanned for fault codes?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Maybe Try doing the basic settings and defined test drive with VCDS and see how it goes, might be all that is needed! It does however sound to me a lot like a failing mechatronic unit, the three DSG cars I’ve owned all had issues, so much so i took the last one back (mechatronics failed) to the seller a week after purchase and swapped it for a manual, have you scanned for fault codes?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)

Mechatronic Failures are very rare on MK6 GTI's at least here in the States. I mean its a fluke if you have one fail. Not to say this isn't the case, it is a possibility.

Lets hope not. DSG is still the Transmission to have on these cars. Performance wise anyway.

Keep us posted Please on this...

Jeff

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Mechatronic Failures are very rare on MK6 GTI's at least here in the States. I mean its a fluke if you have one fail. Not to say this isn't the case, it is a possibility.

Lets hope not. DSG is still the Transmission to have on these cars. Performance wise anyway.

Keep us posted Please on this...

Jeff

Yeah I really liked the DSG transmission and would probably have one again if it was very low mileage, I only mentioned it possibly being the mechatronics as the one that failed on me displayed similar symptoms but also would sometimes get stuck in gear until the car was turned off and started again, just a thought!

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
Im asking a buddy of mine who used to work for audi and had an mk6 gti as well to see if he can give me any ideas of the reason why or if hes dealt with it while working, but all in all probably will take it in to VW later on in the month and see what they say

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
Are you punching it and redlining? Then paddling?

No not redlining or paddling, first time was while in second, i floored the accelerator and shifted at about 4/5krpm from 2nd to 3rd gear by accident and instead it skipped into 6th and had hit a very high rev noise.....then about idk 4 months later driving down the road at about 3krpm, hit the accelerator to about 5k and shifted up i believe from 2nd or 3rd (cant remember) and again it skipped to 6th, then the last time which was about a month ago, driving and i accelerated a but aggressive and i went to shift from 3rd to 4th and it shot to 6th...everytime it has happened all i did was had a milisecond freakout click shifter back into "d"/drive and it would go back down to the right gear immediatley...id go back into manual mode and be fine for months until it randomly happens....also this never happens while in drive or sport mode, only sometimes in manual mode when i floor the accelerator, my original guess was early shifting while gears werent ready to switch but people have told me no so idk.....my friend who works at audi is gonna have me bring my car over to him so we can vagcom and see of any codes pop up and if not he thinks possibly the tcm might need an update/reset

a3scott20

Ready to race!
it might be the car does up shift automatically (yes in Manual mode) by DSG software protection when RPM is at rev limit and you up shift AGAIN (because you see RPM is high) at the same time. I met this many times haha

DELETE

Autocross Champion
it might be the car does up shift automatically (yes in Manual mode) by DSG software protection when RPM is at rev limit and you up shift AGAIN (because you see RPM is high) at the same time. I met this many times haha

My thoughts.