GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Skipped Gears

DELETE

Autocross Champion
No not redlining or paddling, first time was while in second, i floored the accelerator and shifted at about 4/5krpm from 2nd to 3rd gear by accident and instead it skipped into 6th and had hit a very high rev noise.....then about idk 4 months later driving down the road at about 3krpm, hit the accelerator to about 5k and shifted up i believe from 2nd or 3rd (cant remember) and again it skipped to 6th, then the last time which was about a month ago, driving and i accelerated a but aggressive and i went to shift from 3rd to 4th and it shot to 6th...everytime it has happened all i did was had a milisecond freakout click shifter back into "d"/drive and it would go back down to the right gear immediatley...id go back into manual mode and be fine for months until it randomly happens....also this never happens while in drive or sport mode, only sometimes in manual mode when i floor the accelerator, my original guess was early shifting while gears werent ready to switch but people have told me no so idk.....my friend who works at audi is gonna have me bring my car over to him so we can vagcom and see of any codes pop up and if not he thinks possibly the tcm might need an update/reset

Damn that’s unheard of for me. Scary. Good luck my dude. I’ll keep an eye out for the cause.

Phur

Autocross Champion
You said that the first time it had a high rev noise. Did it do that the other times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uberryan

Banned
Mechatronic Failures are very rare on MK6 GTI's at least here in the States. I mean its a fluke if you have one fail. Not to say this isn't the case, it is a possibility.

Lets hope not. DSG is still the Transmission to have on these cars. Performance wise anyway.

Keep us posted Please on this...

Jeff

Rare? Hah... I dunno about that. When I took my car in to have it checked out at the dealer, they were about ready to warranty my out of warranty DSG along with a CC and another GTI for the mech unit. All 2011 or recent. They found out my warranty had lapsed and gave me an estimate of $2200.

It might be rare to you, but check out the complaints for the NHTSA site on this model. Tons of problems with DSG false neutrals.

I have yet to rectify my issue, and I've flushed the fluid twice, level is perfect, reset has been done. Nothing left but the mech unit which is likely failing much like the MKVs and the MK7s. I'm praying for a recall or a better job opp so I can ditch this car as it's a money pit for repairs at this point.

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I thought the DSG's had an extended 10 year 100k mile warranty?

My car skipped gears if I red lined it then clicked a gear at the same time. I had the DSG flashed and had the automatic upshift removed. Have not had an issue since. I would first look into whether the DSG is still under warranty, and if not, to invest in a good quality DSG tune. I've had a few different ones and I like APR's the best. It really transforms the transmission in a positive way.

DELETE

Autocross Champion

My car skipped gears if I red lined it then clicked a gear at the same time. I had the DSG flashed and had the automatic upshift removed. Have not had an issue since. I would first look into whether the DSG is still under warranty, and if not, to invest in a good quality DSG tune. I've had a few different ones and I like APR's the best. It really transforms the transmission in a positive way.

That’s awesome. I’m awaiting COBB’s DSG tune. It’s in the works and I can’t wait to remove the torque restriction amongst other things.

Uberryan

Banned

On the MKV cars, yes. Not MK6.

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
Damn that’s unheard of for me. Scary. Good luck my dude. I’ll keep an eye out for the cause.

Yeah no one seems to know lol, this week ive purposely driven and shifted at about the same numbers as I spoke about here, same hard acceleration etc and nothing...it does everything just perfect....its really random when it has happened thats why it throws me off, it isnt a specific way or time that Triggers it....jsut when it does happen and Im obvipusly not expecting it, my heart sinks to the floor thinking something is about to explode :confused:

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Yeah no one seems to know lol, this week ive purposely driven and shifted at about the same numbers as I spoke about here, same hard acceleration etc and nothing...it does everything just perfect....its really random when it has happened thats why it throws me off, it isnt a specific way or time that Triggers it....jsut when it does happen and Im obvipusly not expecting it, my heart sinks to the floor thinking something is about to explode :confused:

We’ll take it easy and get her into the shop bro, don’t stress it just get her to the “doc”

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
This guy has my exact problem! altough sounds like its often for him luckily its only been 3x in a year that it has happened to me...im gonna go through these posts and see if anything thanks!

Maybe worth sending them a PM to see if they worked it out!

Phur

Autocross Champion
Is it possible that it is money shifting instead (shifting down a gear instead of up) causing the TCU to freak out and default to 6th gear to minimize the damage?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Different issue than OP but I know the audible click/clack sound when coming to a stop with the DSG is pretty common but mines been getting louder and louder past 6 months. Anyone experiencing this as well? Still drives like a dream though