GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

| [ Aftermarket Clutch??? - Golf R ] |

R79

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone running an aftermarket clutch on their R?

I have mixed feelings about the stock clutch on my car. There's a mixture of some of the issues people have been experiencing ( from chatter accelerating from Neutral - 1st, to a low pitch sound During shifts from 1-2,2-3,3-4 ). Dealing with the dealership just to be told "it's normal, drive it some more" ..etc is frustrating.

So, I've been thinking about getting a new aftermarket Clutch/Flywheel (for street use mainly) and see how it goes. I haven't seen many reviews here or on vortex so hopefully someone could provide some comments/suggestions on potential solutions for the Golf R.

Thanks in Advance!

ThatJohnGuy

pppffftttt
I am having issues with mine from 2nd-3rd.... I am just going to beat the shit out of it till someone comes up with something. Let us know what you find!

R79

Passed Driver's Ed
Not all R's ( i would guess its still in the minority, but enough reports to hopefully bring some awareness to the situation) Some people have had their Clutch/Flywheels replaced under warranty. Others Clutch Master Cylinder replaced, and various other troubleshooting attempts. Many people notice the potential problems because of shifting (under load) issues.

I'm going to track down a dealer willing to take a look for me. Overall, performance seems "OK" but i think something still isn't working 100%.

R79

Passed Driver's Ed
I have heard good things about the southbend endurance clutches.

Yep, they're one of the only companies I can find that people have used (on GTI's mainly). Have you had any experience (first hand, or test drive.. etc) with the Stage III Endurance system in particular?

Thanks! :)

tekyguy

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep, they're one of the only companies I can find that people have used (on GTI's mainly). Have you had any experience (first hand, or test drive.. etc) with the Stage III Endurance system in particular?

Thanks! :)

I have not, but the guys at HS Tuning have installed a load of them and do have that first hand experience. Shoot them an email or give them a call.

tekyguy

Passed Driver's Ed
By the way, I'm just happy my stock clutch holds the power of my R at Stage II+. All GTI K04's need a clutch!

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
i have the stage 2 daily silent design and no issues so far.

tekyguy

Passed Driver's Ed
I now have an HS Tuning prototype clutch in my stage 3 R. The clutch disc is organic. I'm not sure what all the parts are but the clutch is pretty awesome. It fully engages at about half pedal and when you shift quickly it really grips very fast. The pedal feels similar to a southbend stage 2 in terms of stiffness. It uses the original flywheel which I personally think is great. I had a single mass flywheel in the car for about 1,000 miles and the chatter and gear whine was really getting old and making my nice golf R feel not so nice. For a race car I would go single mass but for a daily driven track car I much prefer the dual mass. No noise. Totally like stock with this clutch. No problem holding stage 3 power either. I've even launched the car a few times at 4,000 rpm with incredible grip from this clutch. I highly recommend it. This clutch fully engages at about half pedal but still allows for very smooth engagement and modulation. It really does feel OEM!

JoeVeeDubber

Ready to race!
I now have an HS Tuning prototype clutch in my stage 3 R. The clutch disc is organic. I'm not sure what all the parts are but the clutch is pretty awesome. It fully engages at about half pedal and when you shift quickly it really grips very fast. The pedal feels similar to a southbend stage 2 in terms of stiffness. It uses the original flywheel which I personally think is great. I had a single mass flywheel in the car for about 1,000 miles and the chatter and gear whine was really getting old and making my nice golf R feel not so nice. For a race car I would go single mass but for a daily driven track car I much prefer the dual mass. No noise. Totally like stock with this clutch. No problem holding stage 3 power either. I've even launched the car a few times at 4,000 rpm with incredible grip from this clutch. I highly recommend it. This clutch fully engages at about half pedal but still allows for very smooth engagement and modulation. It really does feel OEM!

Until you try a launch with Launch Control, you don't know what this car is capable of with boost on launch. Too bad I don't think APR will ever put LC in their tunes.

Tecni

Ready to race!
2013 R here with APR stage 2+ w/ OEM clutch and no slippage issues.