GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1st gear lag almost caused an accident?

zVp

Go Kart Champion
If Sprint Booster doesn't fix it, that's fine. But no matter what anyone says, there is a very serious issue with this car, which I'd say has safety implications.

For example, when waiting to make a left turn at an intersection, I see an opening. I press the gas and nothing happens. By the time the car starts moving, I now have a greater chance of being T-boned by oncoming traffic because the damn thing wouldn't move when I wanted it to.

This does not happen on other cars I've driven.

Yup, my parents Civics and my old Corolla (yep, Corolla) doesn't have this problem.

I drive in manual mode to prevent most of this, but sometimes here and there it'll pop up again. It happens way more often in D mode, I find.

Mckidd

Passed Driver's Ed
Huh?

You don't drive a manual by full releasing the clutch and then pressing the throttle pedal.
You press the throttle pedal slightly bringing the revs up as you release the clutch pedal and you learn the bite point to meet the two perfectly.

If you did this and brought the revs up enough (but not too much) before the clutch is disengaged i dont see how it can be that much of an issue.
A manual car has no dead space because you don't operate the pedals independently of each other. If you are slowing down and want to keep it in second you slip the clutch bring the revs up and accelerate on with at the higher revs.

If letting the clutch out fully when in first gear without any throttle and the car doesnt stall and cut out then the car must have some anti-stall system.

Find a MT GTI and try it. The ECU is programmed to allow you to creep along in 1st with the clutch completely engaged and zero throttle input. Ideally in any manual transmission car you would get the clutch completely engaged with the least amount of throttle to minimize the amount of clutch wear.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Nah. Thats not a good way to drive. You shouldnt start a take off with a manual from 750 rpm. Thats the problem people are seeing if thats how they are driving. Thats ridiculous. No wonder people feel it bogging down.

You need to bring the rpm up at least 1300 rpm and if you do this properly it is only for minimal time and has no problem on the clutch. The take off would be a lot smoother and faster

It'll creep along if you bring the clutch up slowly enough. Normal speed clutch pedal release would stall it if there is no throttle applied.
Ill see if i can drive one later

Shifty6

Ready to race!
I think what guys are talking about is how the throttle by wire works. I have this occassionaly. It can be frustrating.

The guy letting the clutch out with no gas....he said it CAN be done. That is not necessarily how he drives it regularly. The Audi S4 is very similar. I have wondered if it is programed that way to help keep the engine from stalling.

I think very few of these scenarios are from a loss of traction. They seem to describe the throttle lag, not necesarily turbo lag.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
I see what you are saying, but explain how there is throttle lag when you are taking off and bring the rpm up whilst engaging the clutch.
What happens?? Your rpm is at, say, 1400 as you engage the clutch. Is there a delayed response in the system that drops the rpm down to say 800 and then it has to build again or does it keep building from 1400 as expected?
Is it a delayed response to bring up the rpm before engaging the clutch? Which would mess up your whole drive style and catch you out at times I suspect.

Demer

Passed Driver's Ed
I barely drive in D but when I do I get a ton of lag when I hit it at 40mph. To the point its scary sometimes. I m stage 1 btw. S and M drive fine.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
ive gotten use to it. im almost always in the 2-2.5k range, so no need to downshift if i wanna get into a tight spot or pass an asshole up.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I too occasionally find it annoying.

But...
1. It has nothing to do with ESP, XDS, traction control, etc.
2. It is not helped with a tune.

The work around is to learn to feather your throttle at take off. Once I figured that out it is no longer a problem. I drive stick.

BackToVWs

Ready to race!
Anyone doubting this is an issue, or it's a "learn to drive" issue, you can EASILY replicate this problem.

Go in first gear up fo 20 mph or so, and quickly brake all the way to say, 5 mph. rolling, with the clutch depressed

You never need to have your foot on the clutch. Just suddenly, step hard on the gas the moment you slow down to mph, maybe have the wheel turnbed a bit (If you really want to replicate what happened to me).

there will be massive lag if your tcs is on.

This issue has nothing to do with learning how to drive, unless you all are suggesting I constantly keep the car at 1700rpm, slipping and wearing the clutch all the time?

NTT5418

Ready to race!
Anyone doubting this is an issue, or it's a "learn to drive" issue, you can EASILY replicate this problem.

Go in first gear up fo 20 mph or so, and quickly brake all the way to say, 5 mph. rolling, with the clutch depressed

You never need to have your foot on the clutch. Just suddenly, step hard on the gas the moment you slow down to mph, maybe have the wheel turnbed a bit (If you really want to replicate what happened to me).

there will be massive lag if your tcs is on.

This issue has nothing to do with learning how to drive, unless you all are suggesting I constantly keep the car at 1700rpm, slipping and wearing the clutch all the time?

I agree with you...the people saying that it is a driver issue are wrong. Just went out and did what you said. Spot on. A good 3 second lag. Personally I don't think this is really acceptable on a performance car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
If you are expecting big pickup at a few mph down at 800 or 900 rpm you aren't gonna get it. These engines operate differently than normal aspirated engines as you know.
I still think some of it requires people to adapt their driving habits and style as well.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
I too occasionally find it annoying.

But...
1. It has nothing to do with ESP, XDS, traction control, etc.
2. It is not helped with a tune.

The work around is to learn to feather your throttle at take off. Once I figured that out it is no longer a problem. I drive stick.

I completely agree. :thumbsup:

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
I do not think this is an issue of:

1.) driver error
2.) any of the electronic nannies (TC, etc.)
3.) any type of turbo lag or any mechanical lag

From what I've read up on today, the electronic throttle is just extremely slow at sending the signal from the pedal to the ECU. This is why mechanical engineering is often better then electronic. Immediate response from immediate input. Of course, this is my opinion, but every time I am at low RPM (1000-2200) and I coast for a few seconds and then hammer it, nothing happens for a ridiculous time. I know the sprint booster thing helps but it isn't a permanent solution to a frankly dangerous problem. What we need is a new throttle system, one that sends the signal a shit- ton faster.

NTT5418

Ready to race!
If you are expecting big pickup at a few mph down at 800 or 900 rpm you aren't gonna get it. These engines operate differently than normal aspirated engines as you know.
I still think some of it requires people to adapt their driving habits and style as well.

I have found the lag issue is all over the rev band, and turning off the traction control doesn't do much. You are right in the fact that you can alter your driving style to midigate the lag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
I admit that something weird is definitely going on.
Electrical signals though are faster than mechanical systems. That seems weird there is an idea that there is a delay in electrical signals. Need to study drive by wire more I guess.
Sometimes I think the car has a thought process - as you are slowing down it expects you will continue slowing down and relaxes and you give it some gas, it says "wtf I thought you were slowing. Shit, now I have to reconfigure things to speed up. Hang on a second". and there is a delay
Other times I find the car might know that I wanted to speed up and it reacts fine. Damn cars and making me say such stupid things