GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R vs Luxury Sports Sedan

jolerski

I was wondering if any of you were weighing between the choice of the Golf R and an entry level 40K to 50K sports sedan, and decided to go with the R, and necessarily because of the price.

I am kicking around that choice now. I enjoy driving and do not need butt massagers or something that automatically turns on rain wipers, or such nonsense.

Honestly, nothing else delivers what the R does, not at any price. Maybe the S3 will, but that's at least a year out.

In my 50's and beginning to feel a bit old to be tooling around in a Golf, which to all the world but an informed few will think is a cheap econocar. I suppose who gives a fig what idiots and haters think, but it actually does matter sometimes.

So for those who faced this choice, what pushed you over to the R?

Eric1285

Ready to race!
I bought the R exactly because it doesn't look expensive. Could have gone with more badge snobbery in the same price range, or bought my mom's 2011 535xi. Chose to stay with the R cause my boss drives a Honda Fit and it'd look silly for me to be rolling around in a car that's obviously 3x more expensive.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I suppose you haven't driven a used m3 or had ppl call your car a yaris...

nimda

Ready to race!
I choose the R because it isn't about looking the fastest anymore. I wanted to have a nice auto without feeling like I had to treat it like a museum. The car has much to offer in bad weather commuting. If I want to be showy I just ride the Ducati.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I suppose who gives a fig what idiots and haters think, but it actually does matter sometimes.

Buy the R. For those people that do matter; just take them for a drive, and they'll change their opinion :thumbsup:

crazyaRms

Ready to race!
Buy the R. For those people that do matter; just take them for a drive, and they'll change their opinion :thumbsup:

^^THIS. So true. My dad was so skeptical when I bought this car. He drives a Carrera S and was blown away by how fast my stock R was. Solid buy in my opinion.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I recently drove a 335i, IS 350 and MB C300 at a Lexus Drive event. The luxury sports cars offer a lot, that's for sure. Lots of grip, plenty of power and great interiors and features (Though the IS and C300 weren't available in manual!). But I was constantly wondering how the R would compare in a test like that.

On the one hand, you get much better practicality and it's a lighter, more 'tossable' car. I think what it comes down to is whether you would be okay with a car based upon an economy car. For instance, many golf/GTI/R drivers report having creaky interiors (I, personally, have not). The seating position is also clearly designed around a commuter.

Another thing to think about is how much of these deficiencies can be made up with light aftermarket modifications such as an under-body brace. In my GTI, that provided a pretty large step-up in overall refinement.

McQueen77

Banned
for the price of the R, there are quite a few cars i'd get before the R. i cant hang with dropping mid to high 30k range after tax etc. for a k04 AWD golf. not gonna happen. slightly used CPO 335i any day over the R.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
for the price of the R, there are quite a few cars i'd get before the R. i cant hang with dropping mid to high 30k range after tax etc. for a k04 AWD golf. not gonna happen. slightly used CPO 335i any day over the R.

If you want a sedan/coupe, sure. But some people wanted hatches.

Redryan98

Passed Driver's Ed
I was wondering if any of you were weighing between the choice of the Golf R and an entry level 40K to 50K sports sedan, and decided to go with the R, and necessarily because of the price.

I am kicking around that choice now. I enjoy driving and do not need butt massagers or something that automatically turns on rain wipers, or such nonsense.

Honestly, nothing else delivers what the R does, not at any price. Maybe the S3 will, but that's at least a year out.

In my 50's and beginning to feel a bit old to be tooling around in a Golf, which to all the world but an informed few will think is a cheap econocar. I suppose who gives a fig what idiots and haters think, but it actually does matter sometimes.

So for those who faced this choice, what pushed you over to the R?

No lie this was my favorite feature in my older 330ci, really the only things I gave up when going to my GTI.

It all depends on what you want/need out of a car. I completely understand where your coming from. That said, I'd take a slightly used BMW or Audi if I had the choice.

Don't get me wrong the R and GTI are wonderful cars, but its apparent they are based off a sub $20k compact and than "modded" from the factory to become what they are. (No surprise) you can tell the difference in quality, ergonomics, and engineering between something that started off as a $20k car and something that started off as a $40-50k car. To me the added quality and engineering would be worth it.

Of course there are downsides too, and if you need the practicality of a hatch none of the 4 door sedans will do. I've just noticed a few areas where the quality could be better and for that reason I'll be going back to a BMW/Audi product when my time with the GTI is over. You just need to drive all of the alternatives and see if its right for you.

Figo1

Passed Driver's Ed
If you want a sedan/coupe, sure. But some people wanted hatches.

Exactly. I had a 335i and I cannot tell you how much fun I am having in my R just at stage 1. Even though the 335i was a tad bit faster, the comfort, drive, and interior of the R i LOVVVEEEE alot better. BMW interior is so boring and plain to me not to mention it felt more stiff as a daily driver. I also wanted a brand new 335i not the 2009 I had...and brand new they are upwards 45k+ easily. So, my decision was obviously an R at 32k. Year later I still enjoy my R like it was the 1st day...the 335i i enjoyed for a month and I was already tired of it.

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
My wife has a A4 2009 which is the same price tag as an R brand new. Most sedans have that squishy steering feeling that I hate. The 325 we use to have felt alot stiffer but we had too many problems with the car and everything was an arm and a leg to fix.

I've had my R for almost 9 months now and I enjoy it even more with Stage 1 on it . I love the interior and seats of the R compare to my wife's Audi or her old 325. The only thing i'm missing a damn sunroof it would be perfect but I couldn't shell out the extra 2k since I already reached passed my limit to begin with. :)

Randum

Go Kart Champion
To previous posts, who cares what someone else drives compared to what you get - I remember a co-worker felt she "had to get a sedan" because of our boss's pressure to do so....

Its a big expense, find something you like, drive it. Just follow this logic:

Afford it? Yes, then ask yourself, is it fun to drive? Yes? BUY IT AND DRIVE IT!!!