GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Build-up at 26K Miles

DSG_Fart

Just went through this maintenance myself, yesterday. Car threw a couple of CEL codes, one was misfire upon cold start and also a bad intake manifold. Dealer said manifold is covered under warranty, but had misfires in cylinder 1 and 4 due to carbon build up and had to pay for the cleaning...car is almost at 41k

My local shop suggested an oil changed after the decarb, but the dealer said it's not needed. Who do I believe?

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Just went through this maintenance myself, yesterday. Car threw a couple of CEL codes, one was misfire upon cold start and also a bad intake manifold. Dealer said manifold is covered under warranty, but had misfires in cylinder 1 and 4 due to carbon build up and had to pay for the cleaning...car is almost at 41k

My local shop suggested an oil changed after the decarb, but the dealer said it's not needed. Who do I believe?

I would suggest you do the oil change for good measure. I know it's recommanded here on the forums just to make sure nothing fell through the valve while cleaning.

Gti207

Ready to race!
So I'm at 5600 miles and I am doing an oil change next weekend. I commute about 20 min to work and I usually take a longer spirited detor back home. Does this mean my car will have buildup early?

steemax

Go Kart Champion
So I'm at 5600 miles and I am doing an oil change next weekend. I commute about 20 min to work and I usually take a longer spirited detor back home. Does this mean my car will have buildup early?

I'd say it's way to early for you to be worrying about buildup. It seems no matter what we do it will happen sooner or later.

The only PROVEN method to slowing down the process is getting on it hard once in a while.

cobie56

Ready to race!
I'd say it's way to early for you to be worrying about buildup. It seems no matter what we do it will happen sooner or later.

The only PROVEN method to slowing down the process is getting on it hard once in a while.

How hard do u suggest? 1 hour dipping into the turbo once a month, a year? Three hours, 10 minutes? Curious. Def dont want to deal with the build up problem

steemax

Go Kart Champion
How hard do u suggest? 1 hour dipping into the turbo once a month, a year? Three hours, 10 minutes? Curious. Def dont want to deal with the build up problem

one Italian tune up a month should suffice.
Basically just hope on the highway and take your drive at a lower gear and keep RPMS around 4k the entire time.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
one Italian tune up a month should suffice.
Basically just hope on the highway and take your drive at a lower gear and keep RPMS around 4k the entire time.

Pretty much this. Just drive it at highway speeds in 3rd and 4th gear for about a half hour. Dat throttle response! :w00t:

Jaber

Modero
Pretty much this. Just drive it at highway speeds in 3rd and 4th gear for about a half hour. Dat throttle response! :w00t:

Word.

I did this on the gli and the tips were def darker.

-Sent from the superior interior

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399512301646.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399512301646.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 406

Rascal

Ready to race!

Yep. My work commute is now 1.7 miles daily. So, every other weekend or so I am on the highway giving it the beans. :D

cobie56

Ready to race!
Thnx for the info, guys, Ive only 398 miles on it now. Lol. How soon should i do this carbon build up preventative maintenance? (The italian tune up lol) Do i wait till i have a few thousand miles on it or is it best to start sooner? Thnx

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Thnx for the info, guys, Ive only 398 miles on it now. Lol. How soon should i do this carbon build up preventative maintenance? (The italian tune up lol) Do i wait till i have a few thousand miles on it or is it best to start sooner? Thnx

NO rush. Break it in. Get to know your car and in a low # thousand miles ensure you give it a bit of work to the keep the carbon build up slow. Keep it long enough and you will have to have it cleaned. By no means the end of the world. Cars need maintenance no matter. Have fun! :)

cobie56

Ready to race!
NO rush. Break it in. Get to know your car and in a low # thousand miles ensure you give it a bit of work to the keep the carbon build up slow. Keep it long enough and you will have to have it cleaned. By no means the end of the world. Cars need maintenance no matter. Have fun! :)

Thnx. And yes u r right. Cars need reg maintenance. That i know. Just hoping to delay as long as possible the carbon cleaning. It would not be so bad if it cost only a couple hundred bucks but at 800$ , which is an amt i see given on this forum.....jeeez. That is a bunch of money.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Thnx. And yes u r right. Cars need reg maintenance. That i know. Just hoping to delay as long as possible the carbon cleaning. It would not be so bad if it cost only a couple hundred bucks but at 800$ , which is an amt i see given on this forum.....jeeez. That is a bunch of money.

No question its a lot of $$. By the time you need it you should be able to find a good independent mech/shop to take care of you for less and than BAM....not needed again for a long time.

cobie56

Ready to race!
No question its a lot of $$. By the time you need it you should be able to find a good independent mech/shop to take care of you for less and than BAM....not needed again for a long time.

True. Ill have to look around. I do have a 7/70 warranty so it is the dealer for me for a while. Where in germany are u? I live in germany for a month each spring. In rastede near bremen

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
Anybody pop open the intake valves on a car that has had water/meth? I had my water/meth since about 20K km, and am now at 56K km. Wondering if I should get them cleaned to see how they are, unless there was a case study done already.