GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hesitation towards getting a stage 1 tune

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Is this because it was deemed an ECU remapping does not affect the mechatronics unit? - which in itself has its own software?
Or can this be associated with the ECU tune? From what i have read this is the most common problem to happen with DSG. Havent read of other issues with it.

2008s had a recall for the mechatronic unit. No issues since.

McQueen77

Banned
whatever you do, don't drive anything but a stock GTI because then you'll be done for. I stayed stock for a year until I drove one. Then you realize how underpowered the car is stock. Its 'peppy' stock, but Stage 1 fills in a huge gap while retaining everyday drivability. Ive been Stage 1 for like 6 months and haven't had any problems. Clutch is fine.

Remember this: just because the power is there, it doesn't mean you are using it all the time. Most of the time in daily driving, you'll never touch the potential of stage 1 but when you need to pass, merge, or just have some fun, its there. Its not like once you are flashed that there is this added strain on your engine all the time.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Remember this: just because the power is there, it doesn't mean you are using it all the time. Most of the time in daily driving, you'll never touch the potential of stage 1 but when you need to pass, merge, or just have some fun, its there. Its not like once you are flashed that there is this added strain on your engine all the time.

I agree whole heartedly with this. The major reason I tuned my car was for those time I NEED to pass someone or merge off a ramp.

Of course, I do enjoy it at other times.

But the real reason I got the tune was for occasional use.

Turn8

Ready to race!
If you can wait a few thousand miles, you'll probably see if anything is going to go wrong, with or without the tune. Waiting gives you time to do more research, to see if everything on the car functions like it should, and gives your mind a chance to get used to the power your stock GTI makes. That way you'll probably appreciate the tune all the more--to me it's really like getting a new better version of your car, so letting the new car excitement wear off before upgrading might be a good idea.

Agreed.

Mike

crb553

whatever you do, don't drive anything but a stock GTI because then you'll be done for. I stayed stock for a year until I drove one. Then you realize how underpowered the car is stock. Its 'peppy' stock, but Stage 1 fills in a huge gap while retaining everyday drivability. Ive been Stage 1 for like 6 months and haven't had any problems. Clutch is fine.

Well said!

99bajakid

Ready to race!
since u have mortgage and wife. DONT DO IT! stay stock! apr stage1 tune is only the start of the whole mod bug......

i'm all too familiar with the tuning bug.. trust me.

I have a 96 ranger that i bought stock, since then i did a 2001 explorer engine swap with a C4 trans, rear cage, widened front beams, himed radius arms.. blah blah blah. It's in my blood :(

I'm on the fence about it too.
But the issue is not that the tune will cause a problem - the tune is proven reliable and it is only software, so the only risk with that is the guy opening the ECU and the work on that.

Something may fail in the future regardless of tune or not tuned. Thats were they'll get you.
There may be recalls too that I would think can be denied.

Exactly, i'm not worried at all about the reliability of the APR tune.

ShrekSquatch

Ready to race!
Stop. Talking. Me. Into. Stage. 1. Please.

Trying to resist as long as possible...

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion

zVp

Go Kart Champion

DasAuto1295

Go Kart Champion
You guys are really killing me with this stuff... I HATE going to pass someone in a 40 or so and having to shift down like 2 gears.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
Quit being a sally and get it done. Nothing is going to blow up, the motor will be fine, and the dealer can't really do anything about it

I've been programmed since the car was at 1100 miles. I'd have gone straight from the dealer to get it done, but the TSI software wasn't out yet. I went and got it literally the morning it was available

mk6cruzen

Ready to race!
I had my 2012 tuned at 722 miles. Check to see if you have any mod friendly dealers.

Sent from my phone with typos

Retro1

Ready to race!
Wait for the sale for any of the big 4 with the upcoming Waterfest.

I've had my GIAC Stage 1 tune for over 6000 miles and have had no problems at all.

Just go with the dealer that looks the most professional/experienced to you. There's a reason GIAC/APR/Revo/Unitronic have dealers instead of making self-tuning applications/flashers... because they only want to hand out their flashing tools to experienced mechanics or associates that won't fuck up like a regular customer would.

I know you read that thread ... but that does not happen too often. Almost everyone here is tuned with GIAC/APR/Revo/Unitronic and 99% of them did not have problems in the process.

Last edited: