GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS Adjustable Short Shifter

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion

TheMKVI

Go Kart Champion
Care to elaborate?

I've gone from stock -> S3/42DD bushings -> DG and I regret wasting money on the S3/42DD combo.

There's nothing wrong with the shifter. It's certainly an improvement over stock. Right now I have the Diesel Geek with Tyrol Sport Bushings and it's only about average compared to most stock shifters I've had in other vehicles. Every single thread about shifters says "buy a DG. /thread."

Personally, I'd like something with:

A shorter FTB throw (Than the DG)
The same side-side throw (As the DG)
A counterweight (Like OEM)
A solid linkage connection (Like 42DD Bushings and DG)
Smoother (Than the DG)

Also, it might be worth exploring the earlier metal shifter cable bracket.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
I thought the front to back throw was fine, but with regards to VWs what else is there available, the overpriced VWR kit that still retains the rubber bushings, and also the TWM kit with the mixed reviews, but retaining the counter weight.

If anything I'll blame VW for continuing to use a crappy shifter design and probably wanting all of us to just get DSG instead by not improving their shifters.

TheMKVI

Go Kart Champion
I thought the front to back throw was fine, but with regards to VWs what else is there available, the overpriced VWR kit that still retains the rubber bushings, and also the TWM kit with the mixed reviews, but retaining the counter weight.

If anything I'll blame VW for continuing to use a crappy shifter design and probably wanting all of us to just get DSG instead by not improving their shifters.

Well there's the real problem. That, and it's my first car with a remote cable actuated shifter. Maybe losing the cables and going with solid linkage would be the only way I would be happy.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Well there's the real problem. That, and it's my first car with a remote cable actuated shifter. Maybe losing the cables and going with solid linkage would be the only way I would be happy.

I dont know, Hondas have been using cable shifters for quite a while and they are generally praised for having great shifters. Stock vs stock, many of the manual Hondas just felt better than VWs I've driven.

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
i built my short shifter this way:
HPA short Shifter 35% reduced (from stock)
42DD bushings
MK4 side to side 5% reduced (metal, stock mk6 are plastic)
Tyrol Sport Shifter Bracket Bushings

shifter feels great. better than the S3 shifter. and very sporty.
i have not yet checked out a DG first hand. but i am just sharing my setup based on TheMKVI. I agree its "DG /thread" all the time.

sprytdi

Ready to race!
I run the ECS STS and I'm fine with it, I like the ability to change the length of the shift throw and the weight or feel of the shift, however the ECS shifter gets more mechanical or "notchy" as you shorten the throw. When using a STS mechanism like the ECS or an oem Audi unit there are other modifications that need to be done that I feel are also necessary to really get the full benefit of a short throw shifter. Like replacing the rubber parts in the linkage bushings and bracket bushings, and the side to side lever needs some toying with, 42 draft designs takes care of the linkage bushings and s2s lever.

The sigma six and twm STS units replace everything, with the exception of the bracket bushings which can be purchased from tyrolsport. These STS mechanisms are top notch, the sigma being the superior option, the only downfall to these units is they can be problematic to dial in.

Either way, if done correctly, you will have a good STS that is drastically improved over stock.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
Anyone running this setup in their car? I'm looking at buying either the Diesel Geek Sigma 6 or the ECS option. I want to know if the ECS option effects aft or if it just shortens the throw. Any input is appreciated.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Drivetrain/Shifter/ES2207815/

I don't have the ECS option, but from what I gather, it simply reduces the front to back throw, while the DG does the front to back, and side to side.

I started with the HPA short shifter at 35%, very nice and smooth....but I felt the side to side was still a bit much, and since I had extra pocket money to spend, I got the DG. Unfortunately for me, upon proper set up, so I could access ALL the gears, I don't have any side to side reduction...shit happens I guess. :iono:

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
There's nothing wrong with the shifter. It's certainly an improvement over stock. Right now I have the Diesel Geek with Tyrol Sport Bushings and it's only about average compared to most stock shifters I've had in other vehicles. Every single thread about shifters says "buy a DG. /thread."

Personally, I'd like something with:

A shorter FTB throw (Than the DG)
The same side-side throw (As the DG)
A counterweight (Like OEM)
A solid linkage connection (Like 42DD Bushings and DG)
Smoother (Than the DG)

Also, it might be worth exploring the earlier metal shifter cable bracket.

The DG shifter is the absolute closest you will get to the feeling of a direct shifter (shifter mounted on the trans like T5 and Tremmec). I personally love the notchy/increased effort needed feeling of the DG without any counter weights or heavy ass knobs. The stock setup or any other setup is just too sloppy and has no feedback what so ever