GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Shifting Harder After APR Stage 1

saxman42

Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a used 2010 GTI DSG with 68k miles and got an APR Stage 1 tune a couple of days later. I've noticed it now shifts a little bit harder when shifting manually. It still shifts perfectly smooth in Drive or Sport, though. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a used 2010 GTI DSG with 68k miles and got an APR Stage 1 tune a couple of days later. I've noticed it now shifts a little bit harder when shifting manually. It still shifts perfectly smooth in Drive or Sport, though. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks!

There is an entire (massive) thread dedicated to this, the APR Stage 1 V2.0 announcement thread. It looks like APR is working on the issue, supposedly they are up to a version 2.4 beta.

So no, you're not the only one. It may adapt and improve or get worse with time, depending on which specific version of the tune you have, what your box codes are, etc. I think the last public release was V2.1.

Mine adapted and improved on the upshifts to being mostly flawless, but there are still problems with overshooting the revs and delayed clutch engagement on no-load downshifts. Some people had much worse issues.

saxman42

There is an entire (massive) thread dedicated to this, the APR Stage 1 V2.0 announcement thread. It looks like APR is working on the issue, supposedly they are up to a version 2.4 beta.

So no, you're not the only one. It may adapt and improve or get worse with time, depending on which specific version of the tune you have, what your box codes are, etc. I think the last public release was V2.1.

Mine adapted and improved on the upshifts to being mostly flawless, but there are still problems with overshooting the revs and delayed clutch engagement on no-load downshifts. Some people had much worse issues.

Oh. Sorry to start a new thread. I searched the forums a bit and didn't find anything. Should I just get into the habit of using manual shifting constantly for a couple of weeks to speed up the process so it can learn faster, or will that have no affect?

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
Oh. Sorry to start a new thread. I searched the forums a bit and didn't find anything. Should I just get into the habit of using manual shifting constantly for a couple of weeks to speed up the process so it can learn faster, or will that have no affect?

The more you use a specific mode, the more that mode will adapt. But for me, it's harshest in manual mode. I have been sticking with D for now, it's not too bad.

Also, give that release thread a sub. Some good info gets posted there every now and then, and you'll know when the next update gets released.

saxman42

The more you use a specific mode, the more that mode will adapt. But for me, it's harshest in manual mode. I have been sticking with D for now, it's not too bad.

Also, give that release thread a sub. Some good info gets posted there every now and then, and you'll know when the next update gets released.

I'll try driving in manual more frequently for a while and see if that helps. I wish there was a mode between D and S. I like the D is low rpm and super smooth when I'm just casually driving in traffic and I like the S will push it hard when I put my foot down, but I wish there was a sport mode that would push it without running it up to redline every time.

I'll definitely keep an eye on that thread. Thanks for the tips.

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
I'll try driving in manual more frequently for a while and see if that helps. I wish there was a mode between D and S. I like the D is low rpm and super smooth when I'm just casually driving in traffic and I like the S will push it hard when I put my foot down, but I wish there was a sport mode that would push it without running it up to redline every time.

I'll definitely keep an eye on that thread. Thanks for the tips.

Lol yeah stock S mode is way too nuts. Get a DSG tune and it will fix that!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Funny you mention that, it's actually on sale this month. -$100

There are still better things to get for your car before the DSG tune, especially if you normally run in manual mode. For example, the Tyrolsport Deadset kit and front/rear sway bars will have a far more profound impact on the driving experience of your car than a DSG tune.

saxman42

Try doing a DSG re-adaptation with VCDS for the time being

I definitely plan on getting a VCDS setup or paying someone to change a bunch of things (no honk on lock, 5 blinks for tapping the turn signal, etc). I'll add this to the list of things to look into.

As far as tuning the DSG, I'm probably not going to do that. I doubt I'll put the money into any mods other than the DSG tune. I traded a newer more expensive car in for this one to save money, so it wouldn't make sense to throw it all back into mods. I'd like to get a newer Golf R someday. I'll plan on putting the cash into mods when that happens.