GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My modest build

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
I havent updated this in a long time; mostly because not much has changed over the winter.

A couple things did get thrown on however. First of which was a BFI alcantara shifter boot.

View attachment 57226

I finally ended up getting some track-specific tires for the upcoming season. Federal 595 RSRRs.

View attachment 57227

Will those delay the LSD? ;)

That shift-boot looks great :wub:

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Took the car out to Willow Springs last week and had a blast driving faster than ive ever been on a track since Nordschleife. Seriously that track is "the fastest track in the west."

WS2_2818_Mar3118_CaliPhoto.jpg

A couple of huge takeaways:

-Federal 595RSRR are just amazing track tires for the money. Didnt even come close to their limits of grip. In fact I was more limited in lateral grip by potential oil starvation than by tires
-The car desperately wants an LSD. Ive been putting it off for so long but within a year it will happen (possibly a new clutch too).
-My best time on the track was 1:49.73. The car had a MUCH better time in it but i was running conservatively and didnt have alot of clear track. Specifically on turns 2 and 8/9 there were 3 more seconds to be had there and more speed to carry into turn 1 with the latter.

WS2_2709_Mar3118_CaliPhoto.jpg

The last thing I want to mention is all the "talk" out there. Im not setting down and record times by any means but im just glad to be out there getting it and having fun. To me driving a VW daily and hitting some hard miles on the track is a MILLION times better than hard parking at some show only putting 20 miles on the car every two weeks. If there is any change I would prefer to see in this culture its more driving and less parking.

#trackyourdaily

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Love this build thread, such a cool car! :thumbsup:

My only input is: how does this car not have an LSD yet?? ;)

Seriously, it will completely change the way you drive your car.

Keep the updates coming.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Love this build thread, such a cool car! :thumbsup:

My only input is: how does this car not have an LSD yet?? ;)

Seriously, it will completely change the way you drive your car.

Keep the updates coming.

The big answer is that this is my daily. LSD is alot of money and shop time that is hard to sacrifice. Most of the mods on this I've done myself... LSD is a bit outside my scope.

That being said fear not... It will come

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
The big answer is that this is my daily. LSD is alot of money and shop time that is hard to sacrifice. Most of the mods on this I've done myself... LSD is a bit outside my scope.

same for me...hopefully one day...LSD lol

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
The last thing I want to mention is all the "talk" out there. Im not setting down and record times by any means but im just glad to be out there getting it and having fun. To me driving a VW daily and hitting some hard miles on the track is a MILLION times better than hard parking at some show only putting 20 miles on the car every two weeks. If there is any change I would prefer to see in this culture its more driving and less parking.

#trackyourdaily

I have not ventured into tracking yet, but absolutely love AutoX! Although I have no objection to the idea of a "show car", I totally agree that if you are not enjoying a car from driving it, you are not really doing it any justice.

Keeping the car clean and purdy is fine, but it shouldn't be just a parked showpiece :thumbup: Way to go!

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion

Let me be the first to say, props for tracking your daily. I agree completely that the VW community needs more driving and less parking/stancing. Tracking your daily driven car forces you to carefully analyze the cost, comfort, and reliability implications for each modification. :thumbsup:

Regarding the LSD, I completely agree that it's a big decision for those of us that daily our car. Both costs and logistics make it a challenge.
I'm like you in that I do nearly all of my own work, including clutch and rear main seal install, intake manifold removal for carbon cleaning, suspension, etc etc. I say nearly all my own work because there's always things like alignments, tire mounting/balancing, and then things like internal transaxle work.

When I finally decided to install an LSD, I went back and forth about installing it in the transmission myself. I was already planning on removal/re-installation of the trans to save on costs, and thought I could save some time by just doing it myself. At the end of the day, I didn't want to invest in specialty tools like bearing race pullers, etc. I ended up bringing the transmission to a reputable shop to do the LSD installation. Start to finish, it was a 3.5 day job. 1 day to remove the trans, 1.5 days for the shop to install the LSD, and 1 day to reinstall trans. (I have the exact work steps if you want them) Doing it this way allowed me to complete the install for $1500 (Peloquin LSD, fluid, bolts, install labor)

I will say this, that was some of the best money I've ever spent. :D

Last edited:

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
^^ lmao at comfortability and reliability. I daily and track my DD. My dd also doesn't have a back seat or anything behind the driver's seat really. It's lifted in the winter and hasn't *knocks on wood* left me stranded or broken down. You good.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
^^ lmao at comfortability and reliability. I daily and track my DD. My dd also doesn't have a back seat or anything behind the driver's seat really. It's lifted in the winter and hasn't *knocks on wood* left me stranded or broken down. You good.

*Clarification* Comfortable for the 3 and 5 year olds in the back seat. :laugh: