GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my exhaust pipe supposed to have an air leak?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
^^^
That'll do it

Don't over torque the nuts on the new clamp though! (torque should be ~30ft/lbs)

30ft/lbs!?!?! I definitely over torque all the exhaust clamp then lol. I always fear them popping off under hard acceleration... had it happen to me once at the drag strip on my old R32. Clamp came off where the downpipe met the stock headers.... and holy crap was that thing just insanely loud. I had to drive home for 2-3 hours with the exhaust that way.... with the windows open at night in the cold because the drone was just unbearable.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
30ft/lbs!?!?! I definitely over torque all the exhaust clamp then lol. I always fear them popping off under hard acceleration... had it happen to me once at the drag strip on my old R32. Clamp came off where the downpipe met the stock headers.... and holy crap was that thing just insanely loud. I had to drive home for 2-3 hours with the exhaust that way.... with the windows open at night in the cold because the drone was just unbearable.

The VW clamp doesn't take that much to seal. If you overtighten it actually, it WILL leak because the "ears" will bend on it & deform the clamp
Also:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=241505&postcount=3

Stronger band clamps, for aftermarket exhaust, are only 40-45ft/lbs btw/fwiw

terryna

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread