GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The MFactory coilover review!

Tuuza

Ready to race!
So, at December in 2015 I found the post by MFactory, that they are looking for test drivers for their new coilovers for discounted price.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showth...overs+golf+mk6
(Specs included there)

PM'd them and got a chance to participate in the test. In early April 2016 I received the coilovers to my 2010 MK6 GTI.

First impression were very good, I have seen all kinds of coilovers from the budget solutions to the expensive one. And this set is clearly aiming to compete in the expensive side of the game.

Started to install them onto the car but my phone battery died, so I'll edit this post as soon as I get my car lifted up and get those photos for you.

But, about the install. Removed the OEM coilovers and links, nothing special. Adjusted the new coilover's body to minimum and for my purposes, had to lower the spring adjuster to minimum so I can get the desired drop.
Coilover went in just as excpected and no problems were noticed. Adjusted the links to the right lenght so they wont rub into anything. Left the camber plate to factory setting, and had allignment done afterwards.

Once everything was tightened and checked twice, got to a short test drive. After driving the OEM spec suspension, the difference is very clear.
Feels much much better, no excess movement in cornering etc.
The 'surface dampening' is smooth, but still I don't scrape even in hard cornerings

After a week, I headed to a "little" roadtrip, by little I mean from Finland, to Wörthersee lake, Austria. 2000km in one direction. :drool:
You could think that when lowered to maximum the ride would be awfull, very stiff and hard. So, I drove over 4000km in two weeks, the famous autobahns, mountain roads and everything between. Never bottomed the shocks or having my teeth falling off. The ride quality was better than expected. The 6-step shock adjusting really works and noticed the difference clearly when changing only one 'click' to softer setting. (Forget the 400-step damping control systems when you can do the same in more user-friendly way:mad0259:)

Accessing the adjustment in front is very easy, with the 2 adjusting keys provided it's done in seconds from engine bay. The rear is ofcourse abit different, you have to lift the car and remove the wheel.

Overall two thumbs up for the product, I could recommend to anyone looking for a good set of coilovers, check their post that I linked above for the specs of their coilovers. I'll edit this post as I gather the photos of them installed in my car.

Thanks.
I'll edit this post as I get new pictures etc. Feel free to ask for anything.

Last edited:

Tuuza

Ready to race!
Update 16.6.2016
Received revised lower mount, camber upper mount and shorter front springs.

sorry for the slow updating, the car is under surgery, with new body parts coming.

Last edited:

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Nice review, that drop looks pretty damn good too. :)

Checked over the MFactory thread on here, and all looks good! The warranty seems to be competitive too.

Last edited:

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
These look great and they're something I will look into when the time comes to replace my Koni's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Why 2 brackets for FSB link? Shock body can turn to align RSB link w/ single bracket. right? Another for back-up. If so, that is good idea!

Tuuza

Ready to race!
I could drop the front end abit more but the spring would get quite soft preload. Asked for shorter springs.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Wow those look good. And your review sounds promising.

Tuuza

Ready to race!
OK, back with the recent experiences with the coilovers :)

I have now 10 000 miles behind and not a single problem related to the coilovers.
Been very smooth drive and just what I excpected back then.
Got my car to the winterstorage today and lifted it up to check the coilovers.
Happily found out that there was no oil leaks, wearing or corrosion to be seen :)
Still would recommend to anyone looking for a new set of coilovers.

Thanks.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, basically I'm sold. Was watching u3b vids about how to tell when you need new struts, and then found this... Mfactory's LSD has been amazing for me at hundred less, and I think these will be 5 hundred less than the KW V2s with a lot better feature set, including painless ride height adjustment, and no need to purchase camber plate/kit! Do Want, but why only MK6 not on sale for $900? 5 & 7 get love...

MFactory

GolfMkV Sponsor
Yeah, basically I'm sold. Was watching u3b vids about how to tell when you need new struts, and then found this... Mfactory's LSD has been amazing for me at hundred less, and I think these will be 5 hundred less than the KW V2s with a lot better feature set, including painless ride height adjustment, and no need to purchase camber plate/kit! Do Want, but why only MK6 not on sale for $900? 5 & 7 get love...

All of the 2nd round mk6 kits were sold, hence why we only have the mk5 and mk7 kits left at the 2nd round pricing.

We will be starting a new pre-order on the production sets Dec/Jan. Although the discount won't be as great as the 1st/2nd Round Testers, it will still be a significant discount :)

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Oh ok. Gotcha. So It still isn't available for the general public then. Right, so waiting for the new list to go up! What to do with the Ground Control camber plates and KW V2s afterwards? Trade for wheels...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Thanks for the review. It caused me to pick up one of the available sets for the MKV. Just received them yesterday.

I have been running on Bilstien B8 struts/shocks with Eibach Sportline which I really like and have served me well at the track. Looking forward to the comparison. I also ordered them because of their lowering method as I am about to put flares on and go with wider wheels and tires.