Can you drive stick?

• Yes

Votes: 627 91.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 8.6%

• Total voters

McQueen77

Banned
Here is straight-forward, simple poll and is not meant to spark any more played-out Manual vs. DSG discussion.

Considered an essential rite of passage and essential skill by some and a pointless waste of time and archaic technology by others, the question is can you or can you not drive a car with a manual transmission? Just curious. Don't be shy.

Vote away. If you feel so inclined, share with us when you learned, who taught you or if you don't know how, provide some insight into that as well. This isn't a poll about what you choose to drive or your personal preference, nor is it to discuss the merits of either transmission - just whether or not you can or not. Inquiring minds on the GolfMk6 forum want to know. :thumbsup:

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
Learned on customers cars when I was a detailer. Learned on a c6 that was in for a full 3 step exterior wax

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
Yes I can. Learned on a truck, than got my first car....1980something chevette, straight up manual baby:thumbup:.(obviously years ago) I have driven both tho and now have a DSG. I explained why in another thread.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I would have included the option, " I kinda learned once or twice - but stalled out like crazy/FAILED, then decided auto or DSG, etc, was easier/better for me", lol...

as well as maybe a, "long time stick driver, not an issue doing it, but have crazy traffic or a medical condition that prevents me from driving stick" - but I fear many would choose this as a way out! HAHA...

evi1dub

Passed Driver's Ed
stick its all I have ever owned. I use to help my neighbor clean his car on Saturday mornings he had a 1988 Porsche Carrera Targa he looked over one day while cleaning the car and asked if I wanted to learn how to drive it I looked over to him with a grin asked you serious. Well lets just say I think he needed tires after that.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Learned when I was 13, drove it until I was 21, had an Auto Civic, now DSG!!!

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
Learned when I was 15 in my parents MK4 TDI that eventually got ahnded down to me. Was fairly easy learning at the time because the clutch was very heavy in that car. Odd thing was when I bought my MK6 GTI, I was stalling for the first week I had it because the clutch was very light and the electric gas pedal has that 1 second delay everyone hates lol. Go figure

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
I first learned how to drive a stick from a friends dad. He had a Honda CRV and if I remember correctly it was only a 4 gear manual. I then later learned how to drive a 6 speed GLI from the same friend when his dad had bought him that car. In fact it's because of that GLI that I now love VW's :)

Last edited:
My friend taught me stick on an old POS fiero. Got the movement down but never went into traffic since the car wasn't registered. Hadn't touched it again until another friend taught me on his Audi since I was planning on purchasing an 02 RSX Type-S. Got through it ok but wasn't great.

I live on Long Island and picked up my first stick car, the aforementioned RSX Type-S in New Jersey and had to drive it home, in traffic. I stalled a LOT but by the time I got home, I figured it out. Went on to compete in autox and drag events and even won some races :). Didn't touch a stick again until my 05 S2000 in 2010, which to date is the absolute BEST manual transmission I have ever had the pleasure of driving.

McQueen77

Banned
Nice, keep it coming guys! So far 100% yes but these are the usual suspects. I wanna hear from everybody and am gonna keep bumping this bastard until I do. Especially the guys on here who are in highschool and early 20s.. Come on kids.. Don't be askeeerd. Its anonymous so you can vote that way if you'd like. Aint no one gonna say nothin' mean.

Aridi03

Ready to race!
LOL people who see ''can you drive stick'' as a title won't bother to enter this thread :p

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
Nice, keep it coming guys! So far 100% yes but these are the usual suspects. I wanna hear from everybody and am gonna keep bumping this bastard until I do. Especially the guys on here who are in highschool and early 20s.. Come on kids.. Don't be askeeerd. Its anonymous so you can vote that way if you'd like. Aint no one gonna say nothin' mean.

lol i'm only 20 just turned 20 September 8th haha. I wouldn't say i'm great at driving a stick but I definately can if need be. I eventually want to have some kind of car with a manual transmission, i'll try and save up after I finish school and maybe buy myself a used m3 that would be lovely :)

mikent256

Ready to race!
Driving a manual is over rated. Most people are terrible at it, and others like it because it lets them slam into gears, which isn't good for it anyhow. However, the automatic transmission lacks the refinement relating to performance and also tuning to truly adapt to your driving desires without being programmed to seek the tallest gear for mpg.

Enter the dsg. A perfect fix and a prefect example that proper engineering and implementation can out perform human-flawed manual transmission driving.

I will say this, since driving a manual is more difficult, it makes people pay more attention and fire that reason, people should at least learn their first car with one.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Driving a manual is over rated. Most people are terrible at it, and others like it because it lets them slam into gears, which isn't good for it anyhow.

I don't know too many people who are terrible at it or slam into gears, etc... I do know people who have DSG that holds revs for too long and that's scary, however.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I learned on a 1987 Porsche 944 - that was tough, lol... stalled out a bunch of times on a saturday morning. 4 hours later, I basically "had it". Still takes time to get used to though.