GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Tuning Accessport now Supports 2010-2014 Mk6 GTI!

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
Cobb has said its not advisable and other have pointed out that it is a 3" housing now and that cobb tuned for the larger housing.
that's a standard response from any tuner for liability reasons. i wouldn't be surprised that they had to create their own intake specifically for this reason, since they wouldn't want to say "use any aftermarket intake" and when shit breaks they're liable for recommending that.

what's most important is whether short term and long term fuel trims are within spec, with COBB's intake, and with other intakes that keep the stock housing (APR, Uni, ECS, IE, CTS, etc.)

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
that's a standard response from any tuner for liability reasons. i wouldn't be surprised that they had to create their own intake specifically for this reason, since they wouldn't want to say "use any aftermarket intake" and when shit breaks they're liable for recommending that.

what's most important is whether short term and long term fuel trims are within spec, with COBB's intake, and with other intakes that keep the stock housing (APR, Uni, ECS, IE, CTS, etc.)

See your not seeing the issue.

They changed the MAF size and only their tune accounts for the increased MAF housing size. So if your not using the larger 3" housing(aka their intake) its not working properly.

They didnt tune using the oem maf housing(like every other tuner) They built their intake with a larger housing and scaled their tune to work exclusively with that larger housing. (for 1+ and up) Stage 1 uses stock maf.

Its not just a simple we recommend our intake but others with good trims/flow will work.

Its a our tune only works with our intake, because of the increased diameter of the housing and that they accounted for it in the tuning process.

Unless im completely wrong but that seems the impression they are leaving.

I just gave a big middle finger to VWVortex forum. Yesterday was a thread started by "MAPerformance" and they posted REAL dyno numbers of Cobb Stage1 93oct tune

I was rude, as i swore it said Stage2 93oct. So I questioned it

Today -- thread is gone.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I saw the thread it was like 240/275 wheel or something like that they claimed stage 1 93octane

But then never came back when people were asking questions

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks for the logging clarification. What about the other two questions?

Sorry about that! We may be offering Accesstuner Race in the future, though I haven't seen an ETA yet. Our typical release strategy is to let Protuners use the software for a period of time before releasing it to the general public. This way, any potential issues are encountered in a controlled environment and we have a direct line of communication to help the Protuner sort through and address those issues.

While we do recommend having other tuning solutions removed before installation, we have tested a few internally that we are able to overwrite during the Install process.

Would Jr be able to do a custom K04 tune at P&L?

Yes, absolutely.

Many of us are already tuned with other companies' OTS tunes. If we were interested in switching to your platform, will we need to have our car's ECU flashed back to stock by a shop, before using your Accessport?

While we do recommend having other tuning solutions removed before installation, we have tested a few internally that we are able to overwrite during the Install process.

Welcome to the club guys!

Tell us about protuning. Specifically how your AP handles the plotudinous box codes and software revisions for these cars. If, say, I wrote a conservative (OTS-friendly) k04 tune on my 1K0-907-115-AT S0010 ECU, will I be able to give it to my buddy to load onto a gen 1 EA888 with a different box code?

This is REALLY great logging capability for the platform. What's the export file format? txt, csv, other? Care to share a sample file so I can poke around?

The Accessport does differentiate between box codes. So, a 115-AT file would not be compatible with a 115-AS ECU.

The data log export file is in .csv format. Shoot me an email (marshall@cobbtuning.com) and I can share a few sample data log files.

Welcome. Is there any plans for an OTS low ethanol blend tune? Like E20-E30?

It has been discussed. We are obviously just getting started with this platform so expect to see regular updates with new features and map support for additional parts and configurations.

are there plans to release accesstuner race in the future?

We do not yet have an ETA for releasing Accesstuner Race.

What are the gain numbers for 91 octane?

As a rule of thumb, we typically remove 5% from the 93 octane gains.

So anytime you would change something with a bolt on performance part you will have to go in and adjust the tune from the videos I have watched? Also only are scaled to Cobb's performance parts? Yeah APR and Unitronic and others may be more expensive but they adapt to whatever performance parts are on your car right? I'm still in the dilemma of what tune to go with bur I'd like to wait and see what Cobb comes out with. I'd rather pay more and have professionals do it and will still be tailored to your climate, octane, and the modification parts that are already on my car. Plus, companies like Uni design their program to work like the factory ecu which is always changing all the engine dynamics as you're driving.

You are correct in stating that the ECU is always making small adjustments while the car is being driven. This is true for essentially every closed-loop fueling vehicle in existence. The car makes minor changes to fueling, timing, and much more based on feedback from sensors. With that said, this doesn't give the car the ability to adapt to any parts you throw at it. Those parts will need to be properly calibrated for so that the factory systems are still able to function as they are intended.

Yeah not liking the fact you guys use a different maf size and scale everything to it. Forcing everyone to buy your intake because it wont work with the standard or oem maf housing.

Bit disappointing that you guys come into a market that has been open for 7 years and now decide to write tunes above stage 1 with hardware only you supply to force people to spend more money and changing what they already have, since atleast 80% of the people on here have a intake..and they all use the oem unit or same size as oem, if they want stage 1+ or higher.

Cobb has said its not advisable and other have pointed out that it is a 3" housing now and that cobb tuned for the larger housing.

Is there any way you can data log and see if there are any issues with using a more standard intake(AKA ever other intake in the market)?

See your not seeing the issue.

They changed the MAF size and only their tune accounts for the increased MAF housing size. So if your not using the larger 3" housing(aka their intake) its not working properly.

They didnt tune using the oem maf housing(like every other tuner) They built their intake with a larger housing and scaled their tune to work exclusively with that larger housing. (for 1+ and up) Stage 1 uses stock maf.

Its not just a simple we recommend our intake but others with good trims/flow will work.

Its a our tune only works with our intake, because of the increased diameter of the housing and that they accounted for it in the tuning process.

Unless im completely wrong but that seems the impression they are leaving.

The Stage1+ and Stage2 calibrations are designed (scaled for) the COBB Intake. We have not tested against other manufacturers intakes. If the tubing size and filter element are similar, chances are you wont have issues.

As a note; we are already designing and planning to release an additional intake option that utilizes the factory MAF housing. Once that part is available, we will also offer OTS map files that suit that intake and likely any other intake that utilizes the factory MAF housing.

Marshall@COBB

mamock116

Ready to race!
As a note; we are already designing and planning to release an additional intake option that utilizes the factory MAF housing. Once that part is available, we will also offer OTS map files that suit that intake and likely any other intake that utilizes the factory MAF housing.

Marshall@COBB

Good deal, thank you.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
The Stage1+ and Stage2 calibrations are designed (scaled for) the COBB Intake. We have not tested against other manufacturers intakes. If the tubing size and filter element are similar, chances are you wont have issues.

Marshall@COBB

Thanks for clarification.

I'm currently on Stage 1+ with an ECS Intake. If I'm not knocking and my A/F ratio is good then I should be okay until the new maps come out correct? Should I flash back to Stage 1 high boost instead? Please let me know what my safest bet is.

rasetsu

Ready to race!
I don't see the big deal in Cobb releasing a Stage 1+ map that only supports their intake at launch. This product literally JUST launched. Cobb has had no issues releasing updates down the line to accommodate for other popular intakes later on for other platforms and the beauty is that you can perform the upgrade in your garage as the new files will be downloadable for free. Why shouldn't they want to sell their own stuff first at launch? If anything, that tells me that they rather put out a package they can confidently stand behind instead of just wanting to grab the most customers possible.

If you want to be an early adopter to try the Cobb AP but don't want to purchase another expensive intake which is very understandable, then just put the stock box back on and run the stage 1 map. If you don't want to bother with that, then just wait or go with another tune.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I may have slightly over reacted at first. I blame it on the skip of my morning coffee today.

See the second signature of mine to understand Volkswagon Forum Mentality lol.

I am glad that they will be accommodating additional intakes/oem maf in the future. Just through me off at first read.

I sorry Cobb

*Edit*
I noticed in your Faq it mentions windows 8.1 im assuming it will work well with windows 10 also?

Last edited:

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
It has been discussed. We are obviously just getting started with this platform so expect to see regular updates with new features and map support for additional parts and configurations.

Marshall@COBB

Thanks for the answer Marshall. I'll be waiting patiently for the MK7 release.

Spyder368

Ready to race!
Keep in mind as well that the protuners just got access to this as well and now need customers to test and create maps that can be shared in the future. Looking forward to what Justin Brasil aka Freektune comes out with after testing on a few VWs.