GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #463
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Driver
 
sterkrazzy's Avatar
 
Drives: mk6 gti
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf33 View Post
I dont have slotted rotors but I installed stoptech street pads and the tyrol sport brake stiffening kit about 3 weeks ago. Im not sure how much of an increased feel the slotted rotors give but the brake stiffening kit doesnt make a world of difference. They feel a little tighter and stronger but nothing crazy. I heard someone say it gives you a renewed confidence in the brakes and thats a good way to put it. I did a fluid flush with OEM fluid as well and I bet that made more of a difference then the stiffening kit. Definitly worth it for the price though.
I talked to my mechanic about the stiffening stuff when I was having new rotors and pads installed. He pretty much said something along the lines of, if you need to add that stuff for a better brake feel then something else is wrong. I thought my brakes felt fine so I didn't bother with it. I feel like my brakes do feel better after the new rotors/pads though, and I'm not sure the stiffening kit would have been worth it at all.
__________________
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #464
mamock116
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
mamock116's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI MT
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 592
The stiffening kit made a very noticeable difference to me. The brakes felt less mushy after laps at the track. Same rotors, same pads, only change was the Tyrol caliper stiffening kit.
mamock116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:57 PM   #465
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver
 
whitewolf33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,455
The stiffening kit makes a difference if the bushings (or rubber grommets or whatever) on your brakes are already shot. Those dry out and deteriorate over time and they allow the pad to flex and I guess feel mushy. My car had 45k, the bushings were fine and the pads still had 50% life left so the stiffening kit didnt drastically improve my brake set up. I dont track the car though so I cant speak to that perspective. I bought it for $95 shipped though and it was definitly worth it for the price for the upgraded bushings.
__________________
Revo Stage 2 // ARM Catted DP // Neuspeed P Flo // DG Springs // Depo LED Tails // OEM Lip // 35% Tint // DeAutoLED's // Rokblokz // VAG
whitewolf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:08 PM   #466
St3ph3nsvw12GTI
Touring Car Newbie
 
St3ph3nsvw12GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 blk GTI DSG
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Up State New York
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep.mit View Post
The brake-stiffening kit from Tyrolsport is a must for our cars. That alone does wonders to the feel/bite

I am running the same Stoptech Street pads with Stoptech slotted rotors. This combo of three is perfect for street use.
Thinking about doing the stiffening as well. The new slotted rotor and street pads are great! But still feel that brake pedal travel some



Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
St3ph3nsvw12GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #467
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver
 
dafuture's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 GTI, '95 Volvo 850
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,349
I've decided to try and part out a couple things, but I'm still looking forward to adding the bushings in. Glad to hear you guys like them so much!

I'm going to throw an auto switch on as well, just for convenience.
__________________
GIAC Stage 204 | Neuspeed | H&R | VWR | Tyrolsport | Dieselgeek | AWE Tuning | OEM+ | My Build
dafuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #468
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver
 
dafuture's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 GTI, '95 Volvo 850
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,349
So I haven't updated in a long, long time. Unfortunately, this won't be a post about something new going on the car.

As of last Tuesday (11/7/17), I am no longer a GTI owner. It makes me kind of sad to think about, as I was pretty much forced out of the car due to spine/knee issues. I had no plans to give up the car any time soon which just made things more difficult. I pulled whatever I could off the car to recoup some money, but other things (downpipe, coils, sways) I didn't have time to grab. Suffice it to say the next owner is getting quite a surprise! I will still be posting occasionally until the parts I have left are sold, but otherwise I'll probably be spending more of my time on the 4Runner frorums.

I am going to miss the car and this community. 5 1/2 years dedicated to GTIs is a long time when you're my age. It truly has been a lot of fun owning this car. I still have my Dad's MK5 GTI to drive a bit when I get nostalgic, but it just won't be the same.

Thanks to all of you who have made this such a great ride!
__________________
GIAC Stage 204 | Neuspeed | H&R | VWR | Tyrolsport | Dieselgeek | AWE Tuning | OEM+ | My Build
dafuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #469
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver
 
whitewolf33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,455
Ive been curious what you got. Good luck with the new truck, Ill be going back to one when life forces me to. Did you trade the GTI in or sell it? Definitly some nice suprises for the next owner. Hopefully theyll be on this forum soon posting about the car they bought that already has a downpipe and coils. Come down a little on that catback
__________________
Revo Stage 2 // ARM Catted DP // Neuspeed P Flo // DG Springs // Depo LED Tails // OEM Lip // 35% Tint // DeAutoLED's // Rokblokz // VAG
whitewolf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #470
George11
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: VW GTI 2011
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 528
Always followed your thread, at one point we were updating our cars and at similar cross roads with upgrades. Sorry about your personal health causing this change.
__________________
My Build Thread ⧸ APR Stage 2 ⧸ RSR Clutch ⧸ Wavetrac LSD⧸ 42 Draft Design downpipe ⧸ Koni Coilovers
George11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #471
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver
 
dafuture's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 GTI, '95 Volvo 850
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf33 View Post
Ive been curious what you got. Good luck with the new truck, Ill be going back to one when life forces me to. Did you trade the GTI in or sell it? Definitly some nice suprises for the next owner. Hopefully theyll be on this forum soon posting about the car they bought that already has a downpipe and coils. Come down a little on that catback
Thanks man, it's much appreciated. The GTI got traded, the dealer gave me a decent number for it plus the tax credit from the state. I hope they do come on the forum and take care of it! Best I can do is $450

Quote:
Originally Posted by George11 View Post
Always followed your thread, at one point we were updating our cars and at similar cross roads with upgrades. Sorry about your personal health causing this change.
I appreciate it man. I remember reading your thread too and always being interested in how we were handling the same problems differently. Always valued your thoughts too.
__________________
GIAC Stage 204 | Neuspeed | H&R | VWR | Tyrolsport | Dieselgeek | AWE Tuning | OEM+ | My Build
dafuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #472
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion
 
deep.mit's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI 6MT 2dr
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
So I haven't updated in a long, long time. Unfortunately, this won't be a post about something new going on the car.

As of last Tuesday (11/7/17), I am no longer a GTI owner. It makes me kind of sad to think about, as I was pretty much forced out of the car due to spine/knee issues. I had no plans to give up the car any time soon which just made things more difficult. I pulled whatever I could off the car to recoup some money, but other things (downpipe, coils, sways) I didn't have time to grab. Suffice it to say the next owner is getting quite a surprise! I will still be posting occasionally until the parts I have left are sold, but otherwise I'll probably be spending more of my time on the 4Runner frorums.

I am going to miss the car and this community. 5 1/2 years dedicated to GTIs is a long time when you're my age. It truly has been a lot of fun owning this car. I still have my Dad's MK5 GTI to drive a bit when I get nostalgic, but it just won't be the same.

Thanks to all of you who have made this such a great ride!
Sad to see your GTI go Hope you have a great time with the 4Runner! Stay in touch buddy
__________________


My Build Thread
Instagram
deep.mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #473
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver
 
dafuture's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 GTI, '95 Volvo 850
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep.mit View Post
Sad to see your GTI go Hope you have a great time with the 4Runner! Stay in touch buddy
Thanks man! Will do!

Congrats on the Crosstrek btw, love that color! I've been looking at having my sister get one next.
__________________
GIAC Stage 204 | Neuspeed | H&R | VWR | Tyrolsport | Dieselgeek | AWE Tuning | OEM+ | My Build
dafuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:42 AM   #474
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion
 
deep.mit's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI 6MT 2dr
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
Thanks man! Will do!

Congrats on the Crosstrek btw, love that color! I've been looking at having my sister get one next.
Definitely recommend that car! Love how versatile it is for such a small footprint. Obviously not as capable as a 4Runner, but good enough for those dirt-track runs
__________________


My Build Thread
Instagram
deep.mit is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.