GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Indirect TPMS reset button retrofit wires

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I'm trying to install the TPMS reset button but when I wire it up I just can't get it to function correctly, either the ESP switch doesn't work and the TPMS button lights up or the ESP button does work and the TPMS lights up but not with the rest of the lights?! Does anybody know the order in which the ESP wires need to be connected to the TPMS loom? The few pictures I've seen have different coloured wires going to the ESP switch, I have a 2010 GTI with these four wires going to the ESP button,

I've searched extensively for an answer to this but I've had no luck,
This is the loom I have,

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Has anyone had any experience with fitting this button?? What was the wiring sequence??

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
resurrecting this thread... I'm attempting to do this, using the same button as op. any insight is appreciated.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
resurrecting this thread... I'm attempting to do this, using the same button as op. any insight is appreciated.

I got it working, I had to swap two of the wires around and it works perfect, I’ll see if I can get a picture of the wires for you, but it’s dark here now so it’ll have to be tomorrow.

I used ELSAWIN to locate the pin I needed in the abs controller, I’m not 100% sure now but but I think it was pin 27, my car is 6MT, the pin is different for DSG I believe,

You also need to code the instrument cluster, I can’t remember if I had to code the abs controller or not!

Last edited:

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
@Carlosfandango

much appreciated, I will give that a try. I'm 6MT as well.
would you mind confirming if pin 27 is indeed the correct one on the abs module? (if it's not too much of a pain) or a link to that info?
glad you got it working!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
ELSAWIN shows mine as pin 35! I really can’t remember now and I’m not going to remove the battery and abs connector to look, sorry! I think this is the correct terminal as it does ring a bell, but only if you have the 47 pin plug, there is also a possibility you have a 26 pin plug (abs) instead as there were different version of abs controller, in which case for your year it would be pin 7, my controller is the MK60EC1 version with the 47 pin plug, it may become more obvious once you look at the plug as one of the possible options may already be populated and therefore not the TPMS pin, I’m pretty sure that is how I worked out the correct allocation on mine if I remember correctly! Worse case you can always swap the wire to the other pin number if it doesn’t work first time, if you get stuck with the button wires I’ll dismantle mine and get a picture of the correct connections.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
A simple google search does bring up a wealth of info! Just found this,
https://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28955

Not that I found this first time around though! It was even the first result!!

EDIT: I now see that the post linked was published several months after my initial request for help here so that explains that!!!

Last edited:

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
@Carlosfandango

I've certainly done a lot of searching, but hadn't found that one. thanks again! think I have enough info to finish this up.

one more thing... the actual physical location of the abs controller in question is under the battery? I've had all that out when installing my motor mounts and don't recall seeing it. but if that's where it is I'll find it.

thanks for the help!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
@Carlosfandango

I've certainly done a lot of searching, but hadn't found that one. thanks again! think I have enough info to finish this up.

one more thing... the actual physical location of the abs controller in question is under the battery? I've had all that out when installing my motor mounts and don't recall seeing it. but if that's where it is I'll find it.

thanks for the help!

Really it’s behind the battery rather than under it! I’m RHD so maybe a bit different to you?!? But whichever side it’s on on your car you’ll find It on the underside of the ABS pump next to the firewall.

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
update on this. the button wiring instructions posted above are incorrect. if you look at the pins, there are only 4 used. the instructions call for pins 1 and 2 to be used, but they are blank, both grey wires are in a pin, both brown in another, both b+w, in one, and the long red has one.
I spliced the grey, brown, and black / green from the ESP button to the new buttons grey, brown, and black / white. everything functions as intended (so far).

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
update on this. the button wiring instructions posted above are incorrect. if you look at the pins, there are only 4 used. the instructions call for pins 1 and 2 to be used, but they are blank, both grey wires are in a pin, both brown in another, both b+w, in one, and the long red has one.
I spliced the grey, brown, and black / green from the ESP button to the new buttons grey, brown, and black / white. everything functions as intended (so far).

Ive gotta say I did have to swap the wires around when I fitted mine, but it was just luck for me as I had no guide to follow anyway!

zrickety

The Fixer
Great info, I have the same button and harness just never got around to the install. Thanks guys.