GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

questions about led tails

nature boy

Ready to race!
ugh, i just went outside and tried 04, 15, and 22, and i still get the bulb out error. i checked to see what code is being thrown and it said it is the reverse light. there is an led in there but i thought coding for led tails would include the reverse light?

at least i'm more proficient with the vcds now lol

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
ugh, i just went outside and tried 04, 15, and 22, and i still get the bulb out error. i checked to see what code is being thrown and it said it is the reverse light. there is an led in there but i thought coding for led tails would include the reverse light?

at least i'm more proficient with the vcds now lol

Take the LED out and put a w16w incandescent bulb in then try again, the led is probably the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nature boy

Ready to race!
%$#&*!#$%# that was it... luckily i had a spare incandescent sitting in this bag of bulbs in my car.

so is there a way to code the car to accept led's? i have these generic bulbs for my license plate too that i don't use because of the error, but if i can code it away then i would.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
%$#&*!#$%# that was it... luckily i had a spare incandescent sitting in this bag of bulbs in my car.

so is there a way to code the car to accept led's? i have these generic bulbs for my license plate too that i don't use because of the error, but if i can code it away then i would.

You can’t code out the reverse or turn light error but you can use a CANBUS version, not many work error free but I found these for the back up light and they work very well without error

http://s.aliexpress.com/MFVjIfAr

As for the licence plate it depends on your BCM version and vehicle year, as you’re a 2010 it will likely not take the code even though the option is shown in VCDS (09 central electronics),

I use some in-line error decoders for my genuine licence plate led’s, I’ll try and find you a link.

nature boy

Ready to race!
You can’t code out the reverse or turn light error but you can use a CANBUS version, not many work error free but I found these for the back up light and they work very well without error

http://s.aliexpress.com/MFVjIfAr

As for the licence plate it depends on your BCM version and vehicle year, as you’re a 2010 it will likely not take the code even though the option is shown in VCDS (09 central electronics),

I use some in-line error decoders for my genuine licence plate led’s, I’ll try and find you a link.

thanks man, i appreciate it.

so... turns out it wasn't the bulb. i just got back from lunch and driving there was fine, but when i reversed out of my spot the bulb out light went off again. I wonder if the previous owner of the tails did some hackjob to clear the errors or something, i did notice some oddly placed electrical tape on one of the wires. just a thought.

i have a whole bag of w3w led bulbs that i was using for my plate but stopped because of the codes and stuff. if i'm getting an error regardless i just might throw them back in.

ugh, i didn't think a simple taillight swap would turn into all this lol.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
If it’s the back up wiring you’re referring to The tape could be from where they attached an error canceller, i take it you’ve actually checked the back up light works?, with the right coding you won’t have issues, the backup light will only trigger a fault if you’ve used reverse gear, try the different codes again and make sure the bulb is working and that the error is not for a different bulb.

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
I have the hallogen 2.5L and Im pretty sure I changed my code to 1F. It took out the bulb out error. But if you want to put LEDs for your reverse and turn signals i would check out DEAutoKEY. I have not purchased from them but a lot of people on this forum swear by them. I just used the regular lights for my turn and reverse.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Just use the regular filament bulbs while your coding then think about LED’s later if you want them once you know your coding is correct.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I have the hallogen 2.5L and Im pretty sure I changed my code to 1F. It took out the bulb out error. But if you want to put LEDs for your reverse and turn signals i would check out DEAutoKEY. I have not purchased from them but a lot of people on this forum swear by them. I just used the regular lights for my turn and reverse.

The OP has a fog light by the sounds of it so I doubt 1F would work!

nature boy

Ready to race!
If it’s the back up wiring you’re referring to The tape could be from where they attached an error canceller, i take it you’ve actually checked the back up light works?, with the right coding you won’t have issues, the backup light will only trigger a fault if you’ve used reverse gear, try the different codes again and make sure the bulb is working and that the error is not for a different bulb.

i don't know if there was an error canceller put in at all, it looks like the tape was just wrapped around the wires for some strange reason. i guess i could pull it off to see what's under there. i attached a pic of it.

the reverse light works for sure, both the led and incandescent. and after i swapped them out and changed byte 18 to 15 (as it is now), i doubled checked all the lights and everything is working as it should. but still a darned bulb out error...

Attachments

• 2017-11-01 14.12.58 (768x1024).jpg
    2017-11-01 14.12.58 (768x1024).jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 73

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
i don't know if there was an error canceller put in at all, it looks like the tape was just wrapped around the wires for some strange reason. i guess i could pull it off to see what's under there. i attached a pic of it.

the reverse light works for sure, both the led and incandescent. and after i swapped them out and changed byte 18 to 15 (as it is now), i doubled checked all the lights and everything is working as it should. but still a darned bulb out error...

As it has tape on the yellow and brown wires I would think it has had a canceller taken off and some tape stuck on!

Try some different codes and see what happens,

This link may help,

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=597793&postcount=87

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I’ve just thought! Did your car have a rear fog from factory or did you have two back up lights? Could be a factor if the car thinks the fog is a reverse light and finds it is led!

I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread so you may need a euro switch to remove the error.

Last edited:

nature boy

Ready to race!
no rear fog from the factory, and changing byte 18 is supposed to clear that up (that's why there is a rear fog option and non-fog option). i think i'll just change it back to 22 and hope for the best. if it is still on then whatever, at least the lights all work and look awesome lol.