GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

rough idle?

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
Not sure if I should call it a rough idle because I believe that definition is used when your idle rpm's are jumping up and down, but has anybody else noticed when you get to a stoplight, the idle is so smooth but then suddenly rough little spots appear? they are definitely noticeable, it's like if you're driving through a road made of silk and there are some rocks here and there, sorry that's the best explanation i could find :lol: I switched to only tier1 gas thinking that was the problem but it's still the same

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to bump an old thread, but..

Mine does this. Have you taken it to the dealership? I don't get any CELs, the engine has intermittent shaky spots at idle. Drives fine otherwise.

Last edited:

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I've been having some idle problems too a few times randomly. It dips to 600 and stays until I tap the throttle. Then it idles normally. What's up?

dbest6808

Ready to race!
I've noticed this as well, mostly when starting up the car in the morning on a cold start. it kinda twitches a few times randomly then smooths out. I don't think its any problem if your revs are dropping though that may be an issue but I experience this with steady rpms.

FeatherRuffler

Ready to race!
Not sure if I should call it a rough idle because I believe that definition is used when your idle rpm's are jumping up and down, but has anybody else noticed when you get to a stoplight, the idle is so smooth but then suddenly rough little spots appear? they are definitely noticeable, it's like if you're driving through a road made of silk and there are some rocks here and there, sorry that's the best explanation i could find :lol: I switched to only tier1 gas thinking that was the problem but it's still the same

I've had this happen twice and both were completely my fault. First was the scariest... stalling and low RPMS. Turns out my BSH stage 2 pipe was disconnect toward the back heading to the turbo.. (kinda sucks cuz you are clamping 2 rubber hoses... one wants to slip out or buckle). Ok, second problem was my boost gauge. I didn't buy one of those nice boost taps I just bought the standard kit... well the rubber hose from it touches my carbonio intake and melted a boost leak into it. Just fixed that the other day... good luck those have been my 2 scares.

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
chapusin & johnny_p:

Did you ever find out the cause of the rough idle problem you posted about back in 2015?

I have a similar issue with my 2013 GTI. Mine is 100% stock and only 17k miles (27.5k km). During idle, normally when the engine is warm, sometimes the engine 'stumbles' every few seconds, as if a cylinder didn't fire correctly. But there are no MILs lighting up on the instrument cluster. However, sometimes the engine runs perfectly smooth as well. The dealer did a 'scan' and reported "no codes stored".

BlueE30

Ready to race!
chapusin & johnny_p:

Did you ever find out the cause of the rough idle problem you posted about back in 2015?

I have a similar issue with my 2013 GTI. Mine is 100% stock and only 17k miles (27.5k km). During idle, normally when the engine is warm, sometimes the engine 'stumbles' every few seconds, as if a cylinder didn't fire correctly. But there are no MILs lighting up on the instrument cluster. However, sometimes the engine runs perfectly smooth as well. The dealer did a 'scan' and reported "no codes stored".

Likely coils that are on their way out.... I believe most rough idles are coils or carbon build up... Replace your ignition coils with R8 ones and you'll never have to worry about it.