GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Locke's build thread

Locke

Ready to race!
3/7/15: First water pump replacement. 12.8k miles on the car.

Replacement parts:
1 06J-121-026-BG Water Pump
2 WHT-002-001 Seal Ring
1 WHT-006-407 Seal Ring
G-013-A8J-1G Coolant added

I forgot to ask if they vacuumed out the coolant system. Faaack. Oh, and they performed a 35! mile test drive after the switch. Wut.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
35 mile test drive! That's mental. Never seen more than 5 myself. They Ferris Beullered it

You got that sorted quickly.
BG is a new water pump revision. AT was the last one I got and the BB seemed to be the latest I have seen - until your BG.
My first went at 4k miles.

Locke

Ready to race!
6/13/15: Fastivus in Fontana CA at Auto Club Speedway.

Event was awesome. Left SD at around 5:30am to get there early for the AM track session. First time on the track, got in three 20 min sessions. Car felt great. Got her up to 130mph and the car still felt composed, although the tires couldn't hold that speed on the big sweeper. Definitely hoping to do another track day soon.

Great showing of VWs at Fastivus. Recognized a handful of cars from this forum. The drift demonstration was short but sweet. And the vendors brought some sick cars with them.

Last group in the parade lap

Car cooling off

Caliphotos pictures

Locke

Ready to race!
Miscellaneous sunset shots from late May

Locke

Ready to race!
Mid-May autocross school. Got a ton of seat time with an instructor and definitely improved over the day. Also got to ride in my instructor's 2015 STI. Made me lust for AWD.

Mid-June autox

7/19/15
Found a place with 100 Octane fuel in Pacific Beach. Had to try it out, regardless of the steep $9/gal price. Switched my tune file and I can definitely feel the difference. Second gear has become even more fun hehe.

Street Blaze. lol.

Locke

Ready to race!
Plenty more autocross. 8/15/15

And the ever popular Harbor Freight jack hard at work:

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
Awesome build so far!

Im in San Diego as well. I recently sold my GTI to get a Golf R but maybe you've seen it around.
There are a lot of weekly meets here with a ton of cool people too.

Locke

Ready to race!
Visceral- I don't think I've seen you around yet, I'd remember seeing a tornado red R. Car looks great!

Skyline- I've enjoyed the BFG rivals, and I've put over 90 autox runs on them now. Plenty of dry grip. I don't really have anything else to compare them to, but I've been completely happy with my purchase.

Pics from back in late September. Shout out to Jake for helping me out! Installed a Eurojet catted downpipe and a Unibrace UB. I went APR stage 2 the next week.

I'm loving stage 2. Sure you lose that torquey spike in 2nd, but the car pulls harder throughout the rev band, and 3rd gear is damn strong. And the noise is beautiful. I've been very impressed with the minimal drone with this downpipe, and I'd recommend it to any prospective buyers. I can smell the exhaust with the windows down, but I've already gotten used to it. The Unibrace makes the car feel more composed, it's tough to describe the feeling.

George11

Ready to race!
@Locke - Have you bought a catch can? I thought you bought a spulen used, right?

@ visveralsoup - love the Blue Mountain State quote best binge watched netflix show.

Locke

Ready to race!
Yeah George I have that Spulen catch can still hanging out in my house. Hoping to install that next weekend when the college football regular season has concluded.

George11

Ready to race!
Yeah George I have that Spulen catch can still hanging out in my house. Hoping to install that next weekend when the college football regular season has concluded.

Nice, I just ordered mine. I felt I should do something nice for my motor.