GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof won't close on its own. How to manually close?

AXO

Go Kart Champion
My a sunroof on a 2011 GTI 19,500 miles would not close all of the way. I get the roof to close by turning the Sunroof switch all of the way open and then all of the closed several times. I plan on completing my 20,000 mile service next week, so I will post what the dealer did to repair it.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
For anybody dealing with this in a 2012 this solves it. This occurs when Pinch Perfection is activated. By pulling down on the back of the knob, you override the pinch perfection momentarily. I dug around for a while before I was going to take it to dealership and it was not entirely clear...so there you go.

This saved me! I was stuck in the parking lot for 15min trying to get this bastard to close!

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Happened to my wife's mkv. The plastic trim on the sunshade was hanging too low and would get caught coming out of the roof. It broke several of the clips, dealer replaced the trim under CPO warranty. I. Don't use the sunroof in my car other than in vent mode so I haven't experienced this.

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
I have never checked a mk6 but there should be a little allen key attached to the door of the fuse box on the side of the dash. You pop down the sunroof control panel and there is a hole to put it and crank it closed.

This ^^ in the MKIV the tool was located under the panel for the sun roof. This is just one of the reasons I did not get a sun roof this time around.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
My a sunroof on a 2011 GTI 19,500 miles would not close all of the way. I get the roof to close by turning the Sunroof switch all of the way open and then all of the closed several times. I plan on completing my 20,000 mile service next week, so I will post what the dealer did to repair it.

I had my 20k service done. The dealer said my sunroof switch which was not calibrated. So they calibrated it. They also cleaned and lubed the sunroof track. So far it has been working fine! :thumbsup:

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
This just happened to me yesterday... I ended up using a 4mm allen wrench to close it... but you have to put alot of force to close it

So now that it is closed... is the pinch protection reset again so this doesn't happen again? or should I just not open my sunroof again...

ghotch

MKVI Owner
Does anyone know if there is a VAGCOM fix for this issue? My sunroof is not closing tonight after a short drive. What a PITA!

Pryme

Ready to race!
This just happened to me today. I think the cover got pushed too far and would go in with the sunroof. I guided it forward when It would get close to closing and that work. Im afraid to open it again

twistid

Ready to race!
Mine has started doing this. It tries to close and when it gets to the very last bit it just opens up all the way again.

I've tried pushing down on the rails right before it pinches my fingers and pulling down on the knob while I turn it to the close position, neither one works....

Fucking VW pos

Brawn80

Ready to race!
Mine has started doing this. It tries to close and when it gets to the very last bit it just opens up all the way again.

I've tried pushing down on the rails right before it pinches my fingers and pulling down on the knob while I turn it to the close position, neither one works....

Fucking VW pos
Hope your sunroof isn't still open.. but heres my observation on fixing this.

Sunroof problem just happened to me too, first "hot" day, outside temp like 80-85. As best I could tell, you can't turn it from (open) to (close) and immediately (pull down). It only worked when I finally stopped and let the sunroof cycle through once.

So to make it clear:

1. Turn from (open) to (close)
2. Allow it to malfunction and retract back into the open position
3. With the button still in the (close) position, just pull down and it should close

I was only able to do this once because it no longer malfunctioned after I did this so I don't know if the dial has to be held down, or just briefly pulled down (my best guess, held down. It doesn't hurt to just hold it down till close)

McQueen77

Banned
this bullshit just happened to me tonight.. im still under CPO warranty so i guess im bringing it in.

McQueen77

Banned
Had the dealer fix this under cpo waranty. Actuator switch and other shit. Hundreds of dollars it would have cost. Shit piece

ferrari101

Hope your sunroof isn't still open.. but heres my observation on fixing this.

Sunroof problem just happened to me too, first "hot" day, outside temp like 80-85. As best I could tell, you can't turn it from (open) to (close) and immediately (pull down). It only worked when I finally stopped and let the sunroof cycle through once.

So to make it clear:

1. Turn from (open) to (close)
2. Allow it to malfunction and retract back into the open position
3. With the button still in the (close) position, just pull down and it should close

I was only able to do this once because it no longer malfunctioned after I did this so I don't know if the dial has to be held down, or just briefly pulled down (my best guess, held down. It doesn't hurt to just hold it down till close)

Thank you! The sunroof issue happened to me this weekend. By doing these three steps it saved me from going crazy. Problem solved.

DasAuto1295

Go Kart Champion
This just happened to me today. I didnt realize it happened yesterday at school too. Thank god it didnt rain...

Gonna try the pulling the knob down trick (thats what she said).

Will report back. This is all part of owning a fucking VW :rolleyes: :mad0259: