Overall Satisfaction

• Love it, perfect, no complaints

Votes: 38 92.7%
  • Wish I had gotten something else

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I picked this car up at 9500 miles with this clutch already installed. It's AWESOME.

Vehicle: 2013 Golf R
Mileage when installed: 17
Mileage on kit now: 11009
Current mods: APR Stage III - 93oct w/LPFP
Would buy again?: Y
Compared to SB,CM,Sachs you previously owned: Had an FX400 on a previous car, which is a far cry from stock pedal feel and actuation. This drives like a factory clutch in all respects.
Daily Driver? Do you Track?Y, N

--Matt

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
So my RSR is now slipping... car currently has 43,xxx miles on it.

RSR has around 19,000 miles on it.

RSR has around 19,000 miles on it.

24,405- RSR installed
24,852- Unitronic Stage 2 flashed (non HPFP file)
39,903- HPFP built and UM Stage 2 Loaded Flashed- set to 28 PSI
43,xxx- RSR now slips

The RSR never slipped at all. I have launched the car only 5 times when on the Uni file, and not once on the UM file because i was worried about clutch and trans. I have never tracked the car, nor am i down at H20i with you clowns. I drive the car fast often going WOT and enjoy the power it has. I have a buddy with an RSR and APR 2+ who pulled on me when we raced and his RSR is completely fine.

It does not slip in 1st, 2nd, 3rd at any speed or throttle input. Immediately slips in 4th at 4k RPM when WOT. 5th and 6th are even worse as expected.

Kinda bummed this clutch can't seem to hold the torque. Due to the short gearing in the R i often find myself in 4th even around town and now when i go to switch lanes i have to worry about this. I cannot believe there are stage 3 and other BT golf Rs out there running the RSR without issue. Obviously i can turn down the boost of my tune, but that isn't the point. I want to be able to use the full potential. Why do the clutches on these cars suck so much?

Any input or assistance from HSTuning would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Something has to be wrong with one of the components or the friction material has gotten contaminated somehow. I have never heard of and RSR clutch slipping and many high powered GTI's and Golf R's use the RSR. Call HS Tuning and ask for Jeff.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
I sent them an email. but yea i keep hearing how many powerful Rs have them and no issues. Car has no codes and no other issues.

Something has to be wrong with one of the components or the friction material has gotten contaminated somehow. I have never heard of and RSR clutch slipping and many high powered GTI's and Golf R's use the RSR. Call HS Tuning and ask for Jeff.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
HSTuning is awesome!

First off, I cannot say enough great things about the guys at HSTuning. Back when i was looking to get the RSR last year and during the entire ordering process they were beyond helpful. I will not hesitate to buy anything from them again and would highly recommend them. I already would have prior to this RSR issue.

I spoke with Jeff for about 45 minutes about the clutch. He is very knowledgeable about it, and you can tell they really did research the setup for a long time and have come up with an awesome solution.

As it turns out, the clutch disk was heavily worn and has scorch marks. We concluded that it was due to installer error last June. Shortly after it was installed my pressure plate bolts had backed out. This effectively told the pressure plate's self adjuster that the disk had worn and it adjusted as such. It only adjusts one way. When the PP was reattached and torqued properly, the PP was now clamping the disk at a much higher rate. This led to much faster wear and my current situation. This is my conclusion, and HS seemed to agree, although obviously they can't say for certain if that was the cause. It does make the most sense.

They offered to help me in any way possible and without saying too much, I am beyond thrilled at the outcome, and will have a working RSR back in my car installed properly. If anyone is following the thread on Golfmk6 about piecing together a kit, i highly recommend buying a complete kit from the guys who originally put it together. I plan to take my business to HSTuning at any opportunity.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
First off, I cannot say enough great things about the guys at HSTuning. Back when i was looking to get the RSR last year and during the entire ordering process they were beyond helpful. I will not hesitate to buy anything from them again and would highly recommend them. I already would have prior to this RSR issue.

I spoke with Jeff for about 45 minutes about the clutch. He is very knowledgeable about it, and you can tell they really did research the setup for a long time and have come up with an awesome solution.

As it turns out, the clutch disk was heavily worn and has scorch marks. We concluded that it was due to installer error last June. Shortly after it was installed my pressure plate bolts had backed out. This effectively told the pressure plate's self adjuster that the disk had worn and it adjusted as such. It only adjusts one way. When the PP was reattached and torqued properly, the PP was now clamping the disk at a much higher rate. This led to much faster wear and my current situation. This is my conclusion, and HS seemed to agree, although obviously they can't say for certain if that was the cause. It does make the most sense.

They offered to help me in any way possible and without saying too much, I am beyond thrilled at the outcome, and will have a working RSR back in my car installed properly. If anyone is following the thread on Golfmk6 about piecing together a kit, i highly recommend buying a complete kit from the guys who originally put it together. I plan to take my business to HSTuning at any opportunity.

Glad you got it all worked out man.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
I am as well. Obviously hadn't planned on replacing it a year later, but this time it will be done right, and ill be back in business. At least there was an obvious reason for slip and the issues, and not an issue with the RSR design. Hence going with an RSR again. I really do love it.

Glad you got it all worked out man.

GEARHEAD916

First I would like to say thanks to all the info here, it helped me find what clutch suited me best.

I would tend to agree with all the statements made here on the RSR clutch. I had one installed about 500 city miles ago. At first it was a very low and stiff engagement. By about 60 miles it started feeling like the oem clutch just a little stiffer. Now at 500 miles it just feels slightly heaver and slightly very slightly lower engagement. I would say for some reason right at 500 miles it felt like it was broken it (or maybe I broke in :) ).

I drive for about an hour of city driving every morning. My first two weeks, by the end of my commute I would feel it in my leg some towards the end of my drive, not terrible I could just tell I've been pushing down on a harder pedal. This week( my 3rd week) the clutch feels pretty normal to me, currently really liking this clutch as it feels very OEM, but with more grab.

I need my car to be reliable and quiet that is why I picked the RSR and overall I am happy.

Last edited:

jackhossross

Ready to race!
Hi guys and gals -

thanks for all the great info, this was a great thread to read through.

I will most likely be going this route as well, 32k on my Stage 1 HPFP + Intake APR tune. The clutch hasn't slipped on me yet but I am planning on Stage 2 this calendar year.

Are there any promotions going on for this clutch kit? I priced out from Euro direct and was quoted this:

Thanks

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Well it's not an HS Tuning RSR if that's what you are asking which is a little confusing since this thread is specifically for that clutch kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk