GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any DIY Suspension Install guides?

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
Ordered coilovers, going to do the install with jackstands so can someone link me to an install guide if any are out there?

SworksR20

Passed Driver's Ed
With such a complicated procedure...do you really want to do it yourself? I always trust suspension installs to professionals.

drhiggens

Ready to race!
For me this is one of those things that if I didnt have access to a lift I would have someone else do it. that said.

this should get you started. ;)
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126937

if you are feeling brave you can replace the bushings as well you will be happy you did. If you dont have a whole crap load of miles you may not even need a blow torch to get them out either. just my 2 cents

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
With such a complicated procedure...do you really want to do it yourself? I always trust suspension installs to professionals.

complicated? nah man. I've done plenty of VW installs, this is my 6th VW. Just wanna make sure the install tech write up is similar to the others.

Thanks for the links.

trigger_storey

Ready to race!

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
Identical for mine. Now I don't have the auto leveling headlights or whatever so I have no idea about that. Mine was the exact same as the MKV platform though.

drhiggens

Ready to race!
should be about 99.9% the same so close the the only thing with be the placement of the mounting points in mm. should be good we used that as a reference for my buddies mkvi GTI.

:)

webcrawlr

Ready to race!
The install I linked is the install I followed for my spring install on my R. All the steps are the same except for one, the xenon leveling arm.

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. Car has less than 500 miles on it, may just spend $250 and do the H&R Super Sport springs rather than going ballz deep into $1200 coilovers. How harsh are those springs on the stock struts? I'm never fond of doing a spring on OEM stock install however assuming the car is right out of the factory .... ?

drhiggens

Ready to race!
my understand is the euro cars run a bit lower so if your not putting on the race springs then you should not have a lot of trouble (not more then normal wear an tear) on the stock struts.
I am no expert by any means so please someone step in and correct me if im way off base.

webcrawlr

Ready to race!
Euro R's have a spring with the same spring rate but about 1/2 inch lower ride height. Euro OEM R springs is what I installed as I didn't want a large drop and wanted just enough to close about 1 inch of wheel gap. Which when combined with 235/35/19 tires they did.