GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying my first GTI.

Flight_Medic

Hi folks!

Here's the deal. I've picked up a new job that comes with a 45 mile commute. I only own a beater Z71 currently, and that ain't gonna cut it. I have 20,000 cash to spend. My buddy has a '12 model GTI that I've driven several times and I figured if I have to buy an "economy" car, why not buy something a little sporty and euro. Here is the link. I'm wondering what kind of price I should expect, what arguing points are there, and stuff like that. I like the car, but I like my money too.

Thanks

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Just so you know that is a base 2011 which came with the standard radio and no steering wheel controls. The price point isn't horrible and the miles appear to be reasonable for the age of the car.

Depending if you wanted a car with more options you might be able to find one in your area but at that price point it might be a 2010. Overall it doesn't look like a bad deal especailly being certified.

You said that your commute was 45 miles, is that one way or round trip? If one way you might want to consider a TDI as they are close in sportiness to the GTI in terms of suspension but just lack the overall power. That is a trade off for greater fuel economy.

Something that might also help is over the life of my car (3 years) I have averaged 28mpg with 75% highway.

Flight_Medic

Yeah, I noticed the stereo and steering wheel. Not really important to me. Every one I've found that has the upgrade is more than I want to spend. This one will have Bluetooth ( for music, not just phonecalls) and key less entry though, right? The commute is 45 miles one way. I don't want a diesel model.

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
So Flight_Medic.. what is it you do for work, lol. Anyway I would strongly consider the GTi for your next car. I picked up mine in 2010 for about 24K brand new. It is a base model but came with lots of goodies like touch screen radio, bluetooth, headed seats, etc. I have been extremely happy with the overall mix of economy / sportiness of the car vs other vehicles in its class. And I'd suggest the GTi over the TDI for certain with a total commute distance of 45 miles. Even though you weren't considering the TDi.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
My 2009 has been solid to 44k miles so far. However if I had a 45 mile commute I'd probably go for something more reliable. I enjoy all of the features and benefits of the car and it makes it a fun commute but I can't see racking up miles on the car at that rate. It seems like it COULD be a nightmare in the future considering. If money isn't an issue for repairs and maintenance then def. go for it. To keep the car reliable there a lot of little things you need to keep up with.