GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Front splitter - thoughts?

I am pretty new to this forum, but have found a lot of useful information here for helping with my GTI that I picked up earlier this year. I have been wanting to add a front splitter, possibly some skirts and maybe tweak the rear valance when I find time for it. I started playing with a splitter idea last weekend, but I cant decide if it works or if it borders on ricer look.

This one is made from some simple ABS plastic, but I am thinking I may try to make one from foam and fiberglass instead and add some more detail to it.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Great start and motivation to do something! Personally I think the splitter lacks a certain element of.. finesse? Its definitely a great start but seems to look like a prototype for something more refined. +1 for the fins though, good idea.

Possibly try heating the ABS plastic to add some curvature?I personally feel like if left AS IS, the result would lean toward rice — since the lip is so accentuated or exaggerated in size, then I think some of the curves and dips should reflect that as well. If you keep it flat, then maybe resize a bit more to be a little more subtle? Just my 2¢ though! Good luck!

Thanks! I am excited to finally have a GTI in the garage, and slowly starting some small mods here and there. I grew up in Sweden, and have always been a fan of racing - no matter if it's tarmac, gravel or snow.

I appreciate your thoughts and I have already started trimming the splitter and working on forming it to better follow the shape of the bumper. Definitely more of a weekend project, which between work and family is hard to get around to. I'll post some more pictures as I get further along.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77578&page=56 couple pictures of mine. i need to get some longer studs so it doesnt wave. its massive but it goes out as far as the fenders which are about 4 inches wider all around. ill be sanding it a little and then making it out of carbon!

Dang, your car is looking pretty sweet! The wheel wells are out of this world :clap: I keep debating whether to go fiberglass, cf or cnc cut aluminum once I have figured out a look I'm pleased with. Definitely like the lightness and rigidity that could come with aluminum at a fraction and time of what it would mean to make one in cf.

cosmo10292

Ready to race!
Dang, your car is looking pretty sweet! The wheel wells are out of this world :clap: I keep debating whether to go fiberglass, cf or cnc cut aluminum once I have figured out a look I'm pleased with. Definitely like the lightness and rigidity that could come with aluminum at a fraction and time of what it would mean to make one in cf.
Thanks! Look into alumalite as well. Super light and extremely rigid. That's what my sideskirt extensions are made of

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk