GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JOM Coilvers Review

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all, i just wanted to give an initial opinion on the JOM Blueline coilovers that ECS sells. I had trouble finding info on these myself, so maybe it will help someone else. I'll preface this with saying that I was extremely skeptical of "entry level" coilovers at first, but I had purchased these when ecs had a sale for $350 shipped and figured if it didnt work out, I could recoup money or eat the loss :iono:. Also, I have driven on real coilovers (k-sports, with 32 way damping adjustment) so I know what can be expected from a "quality" set. For reference, car is a 2012 golf base, 5mt.

That being said, I installed these over the weekend and barring a small issue with an end link needing to be replaced, it went smoothly albeit slowly. I measured up the front coils to the same height (2 inches of room from the bottom, no major slammage here):sm3:, and set the rear perches so that they were only threaded on slightly, perhaps 2 or 3 full rotates on the collars. This left the car just below stock height, to where I would assume stock GTI height sits.

To my surprise, these coils are not that bad at all. As expected with any aftermarket suspension, you do feel the road more and get some more noise when hitting bumps on crappy roads. However, these aren't the firmest coils I've ever ran, they are in no way going to cause me or my passengers to bounce out of the open sunroof. For everyday driving, they are pretty comfortable, and do stiffen up cornering and reduced body roll a decent amount. While I can't speak for the longevity of the product, I can say that at this ride height the ride is pretty nice. I will likely lower it a little more, just to remove some more wheel gap so the cool kids of the internet will not complain about failing the "shoe test". And, as always, quick shipping and great experience from ecs. I originally had the FK streetlines ordered but they were on backorder for some time and one of their reps had recommended these instead.

edit:these coils come in polished steel for the front set, which I painted over to help prevent any future rust issues, as well as coating the threads liberally with anti-seize. I would recommend that anyone else with these do the same.

You may now commence with your regularly scheduled hating and "gti is better" commentary! :dnftt:

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, and one other note, I had to cut off the corner of the locating tab because the way it sat when fully seated into the hub, the tab was in the way of the bolt holes. Others may need to do the same.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Thanks, and one other note, I had to cut off the corner of the locating tab because the way it sat when fully seated into the hub, the tab was in the way of the bolt holes. Others may need to do the same.

The (newer) FK Streetlines are like that too -- gotta trim the tab a little so the strut bolt can slide thru