GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flush kit wheel spacers and highway driving. Bad idea?

McGuillicuddy

Passed Driver's Ed
My '13 GTI is 100% factory now but I would love to add a flush kit (10mm front, 15mm rear) to tweak the look just a little bit - otherwise I love it as-is. The thing is I do about 20K miles per year, mostly on the highway. I understand (and it makes sense intuitively) that spacers can accelerate wheel bearing wear. Am I just asking for trouble putting spacers on a vehicle that does this much highway mileage? Or are 10/15mm flush kit spacers small enough that it doesn't really affect the bearings significantly?

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
I was curious about this as well. I was thinking about an 8mm/12mm set up

CHerna

Ready to race!
I ran the same thickness spacers on my MK4 for like 10-12k miles with no issues. I've since sold it - being in touch with the current owner, no bearing issues to report.

BuiltforSin

Ready to race!
My '13 GTI is 100% factory now but I would love to add a flush kit (10mm front, 15mm rear) to tweak the look just a little bit - otherwise I love it as-is. The thing is I do about 20K miles per year, mostly on the highway. I understand (and it makes sense intuitively) that spacers can accelerate wheel bearing wear. Am I just asking for trouble putting spacers on a vehicle that does this much highway mileage? Or are 10/15mm flush kit spacers small enough that it doesn't really affect the bearings significantly?

In reality, it's no different than running a low offset wheel. You'll be fine.