GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you’ve installed a 42DD down pipe on your MK6 R, I could use your help.

bebersol

Ready to race!
If you’ve installed a 42DD down pipe on your MK6 R, I could use your help.

I installed the 42DD downpipe on my R this past weekend. I have a few odd rattles that I would like to not have. At first I thought I didn’t tighten down the bolts that hold the center u-joint in place enough because there was a bumping noise right under the driver’s seat. I put the car on a lift the other day and the center brace is tight, but the cat looks a little close to the heat shield that covers the center brace. I’m now thinking I have the third pipe installed wrong and it’s pushing my exhaust too close to the heat shield and I’m getting a little bumping against the heat shield.

As you know the pipe comes in 3 pieces.

The front piece is a no brainer it can only connect to the turbo one way. The second one’s easy too, the o2 bung is behind the cat and on the passenger side where the sensor wire is located.

Draft Designs didn’t index the third pipe, so it could be installed in 6 possible positions 5 of them being wrong. I have a resonator in my third pipe. I looked at Draft Designs web site and it looks like the short section goes forward and the longer section goes rearward. That cuts me down to 3 choices or a 33% chance of getting it right. There’s a slight curve in the longer section, now here’s where I need the help. The OEM pipe has a curve on the top of the pipe, I think I installed it with the curve towards the driver’s side, and I think it’s supposed installed with the curve towards the passenger side.

Thanks in advance

skinnyr

yea its the heat sheild i just pushed it away from the dp and was carful not to make it rub on the drive shaft

bebersol

Ready to race!
here's the answer if anyone wants to know

B,

Thank you for your email! If you look at the inside of the flange on the resonator section there should be a stamped T to represent the top. This is also stamped into its mating piece.

If you can send me some pictures I can recommend some fitment adjustments.

Also attached I have put some pictures of the correct orientation.

If you have any other questions please let me know!

Thanks,
-John @ 42DD

bebersol

Ready to race!
The resonator pipe was installed incorrectly, fixed it this weekend and it fits perfect now. I had also not tightened the front exhaust bracket all the way and it was rattling.
The exhaust sounds great and the turbo spools faster in the lower RPM ranges.
My MPG is up too, I’m running 26-29 up from 23-24.

bebersol

Ready to race!
John at Draft Designs was great. I'd defiantly recommend the DD42 downpipe, the quality is first rate and so is the support. The hardest part of the job was removing the OEM pipe.