GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Linear springs on koni coilovers

upon31

Passed Driver's Ed
Really nice work. Those top hats are probably the one item preventing me from going to a linear setup on my car.

ChrisChen1990

Ready to race!
Hello, I wanted to go very low but that plan was thrown out the window when the 7inch 350# springs left me at 24.5ftg. After leaving them at the setting I initially installed them at (all the way down), I started getting clunks. Everything was tight but what I soon came to realize was that the springs had no pre load on them so when i hit a big dip and the suspension would rebound the top hat adapter was not settling onto the shock mounts. In order to have pre load on full droop ( car is in the air and wheels are not touching the ground) I had to spin the coilovers up about 1 inch worth of threads. I now have zero noises when cruising and moderetly driving at a fast pace. But say i hit a dip going very quick mid corner, it seems as if the spring coils are coming in contact with each other in the front. If i were to do this all over again i would use 8 inch springs in the front and 9 inch for the rear. But im tired of getting my car aligned so im leaving it at this setup.

I have v2 koni coilovers with hyperco springs using an eibach top hat adapter from the r series coilovers.
350# 7inch fronts
350# 8 inch rears
My Fender to ground all around is 25.25 inches. The linear spring install without helpers are for performance and not lowering your car. YOU NEED PRELOAD with these springs or else you will get sounds.

I was looking at this thread for a while and I am thinking if it is possible to add a spring helper just like the KW V3 coilovers. And Swift is selling the helper springs and adapters that can be sandwich between the linear springs and helper springs. Do you think that is a good idea from dismounting the springs from perch when going big bump?