GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Underboost code P0299 - Turbo?

alecglessner

First of all I apologize in advance. This post may go all over the place...

2010 DSG, all stock, 94K miles.

I've been getting an P0299 code for a while. If I drive mellow and don't get into the boost, it eventually goes away. Or if I clear it, and drive mellow, the CEL stays off. My DV has already been replaced and is the plunger type. I got under the car this weekend to have a look, and verify the DV hasn't come loose. That was all good. Also, checked various plumbing for any bad connections, and all looks good.

I had called the dealer awhile back and asked them about smoke testing, and the service advisor told me "100%, the turbo is bad". So I stopped by a local indy and he said with my mileage (94K miles) that the turbo is probably bad. But reading the forums, I get the feeling that may not be true. I don't drive my car hard very often, and perform oil changes around 7500 miles with Liquimoly and OEM filters.

When I was looking at the DV, I did notice an oil film coming from above it. I couldn't quite see the source, but it is near the turbo. My oil level has never fluctuated though, and there was not enough to cause any drips in the garage. I have heard that when these turbos do go bad, it is the wastegate area? Could that be where the leak is coming from, and indeed the turbo is bad? I couldn't see the waste gate mechanism, so hard to tell.

Lastly, if the turbo is bad, what route should I take? The K04 is intriguing, but do to life changes, I may be tracking this car soon, and I have read (in the Track forum) that stock, or stage 1 might be better for that. It's looks like it's $1600-ish for a new K03 and install, versus close to double that going K04. Opinions?

thanks!

One last thing, if anyone has a solid recommend for a shop in Austin area, please let me know.
You might have to look through the whole turbo assembly and see if a hose came loose like mine did

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
Typically when a part number ends in X it means that its re-manufactured. Mk6 GTI turbos are the following:

CBFA turbo: 06J 145 713F

CCTA turbo : 06J 145 713K

If hes quoting you a part number of 06J 145 713KX, it leads me to believe hes quoting a re-manufactured turbo. Which is normal because i don't think they sell brand new CCTA turbos anymore. But, if you were to go with the 06J145713KX turbo you'd be getting the same turbo (old style waste gate)

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...manufactured-k03-turbocharger/06j145713kx~kt/

The picture you provided does not make sense in my opinion. Side by side they seem to be completely different turbos.

Dan, sorry to bring this old thread back up. It has been confirmed my Turbo is failing. The light first appeared and went away. It became more and more frequent, and is now every other day or so coming on. Along with some strange jerking under moderate acceleration.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-borgwarner-parts/k03-turbocharger-06j145713k/06j145713k-space-~bwt/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ihi-turbo-parts/k03-turbocharger/06j145713k-space-~hud/

If you look, those turbos have the SAME part numbers, but 2 different waste gates... I do not disagree that they almost look like completely different turbos. My shop is saying to only get the BorgWarner version, not to bother with the IHI.

Thinking of doing this myself in the coming weeks, not sure if anyone else has tried the BorgWarner, modified wastegate turbo. I know most people just go K04, but I am not interested in going down that rabbit hole (another $500 flash, intercooler, downpipe, etc.) At 106,000 miles, she just needs to get me to 150,000 - not start making more power.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Im at > 130k miles and went stage 2 at 100k. Had 0299 code after tune once it started getting hot as balls outside. Dont know if it makes a difference but it just went away..i am no turbo pro but im pretty sure mine is on its way out. I think my shaft is getting a bit of wiggle and burning oil. I have already upgraded everything just need k04 or gtx and a tune. Yes, i drive the piss out of it.

chc29

Ready to race!
On these supposed wastegate failures, are you guys noticing any noise or other symptoms other than the underboost code?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Also my car used to throw P0299 a lot with the Eurodyne Stage 1 base file. With the Stage 2 it didnt. It had no boost leaks either, it often happened when going WOT, especially at the 1/4 mile track here. It was 100% the tune, that was 2 years ago and ive since long moved on from that Stage 1 file and have never seen that code again.