2012 Jetta GLI vs 2012 Golf GTI

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
2012 GLI with Nav Auto
Total price $27,545 *

2012 GTI Autobahn 4 Door Auto
Total price $31,635 *

$4090

That's a big chunk of change... Does anyone know if VW is changing their strategy anytime soon? It seems foolish for anyone in say 2012/13 to go with the GTI for just the bodystyle...

You get the same engine/transmission/interior
The jetta gets the Fender Audio with the sub and the auto climate control that everyone here is drooling about... yet the GTI get the better headlights

:mad0259::mad0259:

Will VW go for volume on the golf also in the near future and bring out a much cheaper model? That seems like the direction they are headed with the Jetta/Passat already cheapened...

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
The GTI also has full leather, but I agree $4k is s big chuck. It was enough of a chuck that I didn't feel the extra money for the autobahn was worth it over my w/sunroof model. Just wanted leather and had that put in myself for $1k.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The GTI also has full leather, but I agree $4k is s big chuck. It was enough of a chuck that I didn't feel the extra money for the autobahn was worth it over my w/sunroof model. Just wanted leather and had that put in myself for $1k.

The regular base jetta is a POS, with

1. The nasty steering wheel
2. Non IRS rear suspension
3. Cheapened MFD/Dash
4. Incredibly bad stereo

etc etc the GLI fixes every single gripe ppl had with the Jetta minus the fact that its made in mexico :yikes:

C4L

Banned
$4k is silly for the premium on the GTI now...

GTI
+ REAL Leather ($500) - I actually prefer leatherette
+ Xenons ($500)
+ Dual Exhuast ($500) - form over function piece

GLI
+ Fender Audio ($500)
+ Climatronic ($500)

Based on that, the GTI should only cost $500 more then the GLI, not $4,000 more...hahah

Dynamically speaking I actually see the GLI having an advantage too.

GLI should have a lower center of gravity then the GTI.
GLI has a wider track then the GTI.
And they even weigh almost the same too (4-door GTI vs. GLI)

I am a big fan of the GLI. I would consider getting rid of my GTI for one. A Frost Silver Metallic GLI Autobahn DSG.

McQueen77

Banned
I'd kill a man for the Fender Audio in my GTI

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
GLI also has hard door plastic panels still.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I'd kill a man for the Fender Audio in my GTI

Add a JL audio Stealthbox ;) Its better than both the dynaaudio and the fender :23:

b00stinmk6

Ready to race!
I just noticed that the GLI comes in 5sp manual as opposed to the GTI's 6sp manual. Why is that? Why would they change gearing? Is the DSG on the GLI also only 5sp? or is it 6sp?

Thanks.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I wouldn't drive a new GLI if you held a gun to my kid's head and forced me to choose between them...

My son is a huge Dub fan and Top Gear Fanatic; he'd totally agree with my choice :cool:

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
I just noticed that the GLI comes in 5sp manual as opposed to the GTI's 6sp manual. Why is that? Why would they change gearing? Is the DSG on the GLI also only 5sp? or is it 6sp?

Thanks.

Everything I've read, and the one I've seen in person at the Chicago Autoshow, shows them to have the exact same options GTI's have: M6 or DSG (6spd).

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

Thanks.

What are you talking about?
Only the SE comes with the 5 speed stick every other model has 6 speed.

2.0T, 200 hp TSI® engine, 6-speed manual transmission
2.0T, 200 hp TSI® engine, 6-speed automatic transmission with Sport mode (DSG)

I wouldn't drive a new GLI if you held a gun to my kid's head and forced me to choose between them...

My son is a huge Dub fan and Top Gear Fanatic; he'd totally agree with my choice :cool:
:iono:
What does your son have to do with this thread? And what does Top Gear have to do with GLI/GTI?

sense<<<<<<<>>>>>>>yourpost

Everything I've read, and the one I've seen in person at the Chicago Autoshow, shows them to have the exact same options GTI's have: M6 or DSG (6spd).

Yes that is correct.

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
Seeing as how my baby brother just bought a 2012 GLI maybe I can help clear things up. In comparison to the GTI, I would actually consider switching to the GLI but I think the GTI is just so much more of a nimble vehicle and satifying for that matter. But back to the GLI. It still has the 6MT or 6sp DSG, My bro has the 2012 autobahn, Platinum gray. Here are my pros n cons

GLI

+Stock exhaust note is very nice IMO
+Fender audio pretty decent but nothing to be crazy over
+climatronic
+sleek styling
+appears to have a lower stance but this is arguable (if that makes sense lol)
+price

the bad
-Leatherette is cheap as hell
-no bi-xenons
-driving wise, just doesnt have the feel of the GTI
-no dual exhaust

Considering all this, the GLI isnt a bad buy. For me the GTI wins hands down but you do pay a price to have one compared to the cheaper price or the GLI with the same options. Very nice car in and a great job by VW, but like I've said before, there is just something about the Golf/GTI the Jetta/GLI just doesnt have. Here is my .02 take for what its worth