GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 04-13-2016, 12:48 AM   #1
kbrett11
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 VW GTI 4dr 6MT
Apr stage 1 w/ downpipe question

As the title states, I'm about to be running that setup with a currently installed cai. My concern is that I'm running on a stock clutch (currently 50k on clutch) and I've been tuned since day 1. After adding the downpipe and updating my Apr file to the new stage 1 low torque file, will my clutch last? Should I start saving for new clutch? Thoughts on this and any suggestions?
kbrett11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Do you have any signs of slippage? I would still save up for a clutch as it will go out eventually anyways regardless of tune.. yes the tune is going to speed up the process but it would still go out on a stock car eventually.

Also once you save up and get the clutch done you can move on to stage 2 and get a decent bump in power over the stage 1 low output.

So short answer No and yes. If you arent getting any slippage with the current tune than the downpipe isnt gonna make it slip unless you up the powers by moving to stage 2 (proper tune for a downpipe). But yes you need to start saving for a new clutch preferably a aftermarket clutch. The clutch is a wear and tear and it will go out eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
franco516
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: gti
I ran a downpipe on stage1 for a month. Clutch never slipped till i went stage2, you should be good, dont WOT in the higher gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
kbrett11
Touring Car Newbie

That's good to hear. The only thing is I'll be on this clutch for another year or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by franco516 View Post
I ran a downpipe on stage1 for a month. Clutch never slipped till i went stage2, you should be good, dont WOT in the higher gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APR tuned // Unitronic intake // TSW Bathurst 18x8.5 ET 43 // Koni yellows // DG springs // conti dws // CTS Turbo 3" catless downpipe // stock unresonated catback // R8 coil packs // NGK plugs// Depo tail lights // Rokblokz mudflaps // PIAA ion yellow fog lights & headlights // Lamin-x fog & headlight covers // Deautokey LED interior/exterior swap
Old 04-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
Stinger
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: stick 4d CSG '11 Mk6
Yeah, i didn't have to change my clutch for ... about a week after going Stage 1.

Read the multiple threads on the consequences of going Stage 1, from those who did or did not have to upgrade their clutch.
APR Stage 1 (V2.1)::RSR-like clutch::Magnaflow catback::Sigma 6 SS::Bilstein B14 PSS::H&R 26mm fsb, 22mm rsb::Tyrol sub frame kit and front brake stiffener kit::UB UNIbrace::R8 coilpacks::LED taillights::Michelin PSS 235/45 on JNC 17x8 et30::
Audio - Eonon GA5153F::Focal Integration Plug & Play::JL Stealthbox 10TW3::JL XD 700/5 amp
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
kbrett11
Touring Car Newbie

Wow sorry to hear that. Mine has been stage 1 since day 1 and no issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Yeah, i didn't have to change my clutch for ... about a week after going Stage 1.

Read the multiple threads on the consequences of going Stage 1, from those who did or did not have to upgrade their clutch.
APR tuned // Unitronic intake // TSW Bathurst 18x8.5 ET 43 // Koni yellows // DG springs // conti dws // CTS Turbo 3" catless downpipe // stock unresonated catback // R8 coil packs // NGK plugs// Depo tail lights // Rokblokz mudflaps // PIAA ion yellow fog lights & headlights // Lamin-x fog & headlight covers // Deautokey LED interior/exterior swap
Old 04-14-2016, 02:45 AM   #7
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Buy new clutch, install, and drive the car normal or hard (your choice)

problem solved

Tags
apr, cts, downpipe, stage, tune