GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 07-06-2017, 11:40 PM   #1
DSquad48

Drives: GTI
Best performance/handling upgrade for tuned car on the track?

I have been interested in taking my mk6 gti to the track to run some solo events. I have been scouring the forum these past couple of days reading up on various handling and performance upgrades that can be made to the car for track events specifically. The problem is that there are so many available upgrades that I don't know where to begin!

So, my questions is, what sort of upgrade is the best "bang for the buck" in terms of increasing performance? I plan on doing some autocross and short track time trials, so it seems like handling would be of primary concern over any potential power gains, at least for the time being.

My car is currently APR stage 1 tuned with grippy summer tires, stock everything else.

I am really new to the art of tuning/upgrading, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
DSquad48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:40 AM   #2
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2008 MKV EFR7163
Best item to purchase initially is an LSD. It is expensive but probably single most effective thing you can do. it was one of the last things I did for the track, it should have been the first. It is transformative for the track. Without it you can't lay down the power in right hand turn exits.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
red_stapler
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSquad48 View Post
So, my questions is, what sort of upgrade is the best "bang for the buck" in terms of increasing performance? I plan on doing some autocross and short track time trials
Downgrading the tune back to stock and running in stock class is probably your best bet. After that, autocross focused tires like Bridgestone RE71Rs or BfGoodrich Rival S 1.5s are going to show the biggest improvement in laptimes.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
If you're doing SCCA you'll want to run the stock tune for events so you can run in the street (or stock) category. With that your upgrades are limited. Run the stickiest 200 tread-wear tires you can, upgrade your dampers to a set of Koni Sports, upgrade the rear swaybar to a stiffer adjustable one, and maybe upgrade the brake pads to something that has better initial bite.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:29 AM   #5
ebuuz
Autocross Champion

Drives: Mk6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
Best item to purchase initially is an LSD. It is expensive but probably single most effective thing you can do. it was one of the last things I did for the track, it should have been the first. It is transformative for the track. Without it you can't lay down the power in right hand turn exits.
What kind of lap time decreases did you see with an LSD?

Right now I am debating between LSD and upgrading suspension. I'm leaning towards suspensions because I feel like its more bang for buck...

Your thoughts?
2012 CW 6 speed. F23T on APR k04 v3.1, APR Carbonio, CTS turboback, Clutchnet 6 puck disc, 034 Street Density motor and transmission mounts, Hawk HPS 5.0, Motul RBF600, Newsouth boost gauge, DieselGeek SS

Dyno vid of my car
ebuuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
zef
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuuz View Post
What kind of lap time decreases did you see with an LSD?

Right now I am debating between LSD and upgrading suspension. I'm leaning towards suspensions because I feel like its more bang for buck...

Your thoughts?
Since your car is a 6 speed I would say LSD first. It's only really expensive for the DSG guys. For a DSG trans it's a $3000+ job but for a MT it's easily half that.
'13 GTI CW 2 DR (DSG) - Eurodyne Stage 2/HPA DSG Tune | Cobb TBE | IE CAI | IE FDS IC | 034 CC | VWR Subframe Pucks | 034 SD Mounts | MSS SPRING KIT (learn more here) | 034 Pendulum Mount | Supaloy Control Arms | B6 Passat Front Spindles | Koni Yellows | RSE10 | more to come! Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
mounts, anti lift kit, suspension, a rear sway are all great places to start.

Seat time is by far the most important over any mods.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:12 AM   #8
ebuuz
Autocross Champion

Drives: Mk6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
mounts, anti lift kit, suspension, a rear sway are all great places to start.

Seat time is by far the most important over any mods.
Agreed on the seat time. I'm about two seasons into tracking. After all the newbie gains I hit a plateau in lap times after about 10-15 events. My times have the same for the past year but in that time I've been learning to read my car, understand when my tires/brakes are too hot, and being able to adjust accordingly. Of course I am trying to be more consistent by using more fixed reference points.

If I slow down and focus on refinement and consistency I might be able to do it

More satisfying than adding mods but I definitely want more consistent tires. These super sports are starting to chunk on the outside though so that will have to be soon.
2012 CW 6 speed. F23T on APR k04 v3.1, APR Carbonio, CTS turboback, Clutchnet 6 puck disc, 034 Street Density motor and transmission mounts, Hawk HPS 5.0, Motul RBF600, Newsouth boost gauge, DieselGeek SS

Dyno vid of my car
ebuuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #9
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuuz View Post
Agreed on the seat time. I'm about two seasons into tracking. After all the newbie gains I hit a plateau in lap times after about 10-15 events. My times have the same for the past year but in that time I've been learning to read my car, understand when my tires/brakes are too hot, and being able to adjust accordingly. Of course I am trying to be more consistent by using more fixed reference points.

If I slow down and focus on refinement and consistency I might be able to do it

More satisfying than adding mods but I definitely want more consistent tires. These super sports are starting to chunk on the outside though so that will have to be soon.
I pm'ed you
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
performance, track, tune, upgrade