GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 07-24-2015, 03:26 AM   #57
maskari_gti
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK4 & MK6 GTIs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmack View Post
So my take aways so far are:

3. DSG tunes without improved clamping pressure are likely not the best choice for aggressive K04 and bigger turbo applications unless you have a tuner that can/will modify your tune should slipping occur and clamping forces need to be increased.

Great info!
I totally agree with this. I'm not a believer on of the shelf tunes no more. Either its an ECU or TCU tune. Even a Stage 2 DSG tune couldn't eliminate my clutch slippage but after getting a custom ECU tune I got it all working well. Lowered the boost and enhanced timing.

Quote:
So my take aways so far are:

4. Since the amount of clamping pressure increase is limited there is likely little risk of causing any significant issue with heat or damage to the tranny by doing so.

Great info!
I'm wondering about this as it's too hot almost everyday of the year here. Too much clamping pressure in 45C+ isn't a good thing..
K04 Club Member #63
My Build Thread
maskari_gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #58
Charlotte CC
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 VW CC r-line
Quote:
Originally Posted by valj View Post
Arin, could you kindly advise which groups in VCDS to log in order to check this.

I'm on the Revo K04 high boost file and and I'm experiencing really strange DSG behaviour if I begin rolling immediately after start the car (without giving it time to warm up a bit). It will initiate 1st gear, but when it goes into 2nd the revs shoot up and the car stops pulling. Downshifting it into 1st will make it pull again.

Warming the car up for a couple of minutes fully solves the problem. VCDS doesn;t register any faults, the DSG shifts perfectly.

I had this happen a couple of times on a fully warmed up car as well.

It seems as if the gearbox disengages the clutch beacuse of the elevated torque.

My DSG software is stock.
Why do you think you have increased clamping pressure from stock DSG software?
Old 07-27-2015, 03:27 AM   #59
valj
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf 6 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte CC View Post
That's not what I'm thinking. ! I'm trying to figure out whether it's the clamping pressure which is causing my issue
k04 REVO st3 98 oct file / Unitronic CAI with AEM filter / Ultimate Racing catless dp with custom 76 mm catback exhaust / Neuspeed TOP / Forge turbo discharge pipe / GFB DV+ / KONI Yellows with H&R springs / R8 coils / Iridiums / Whiteline engine mount insert / TT-RS lca bushings / R32 BBK with EBC turbogroove rotors and Ferodo DS Performance pads / R18 Detroits on Michelin PSS / Unitronic intercooler / ETON soundsystem with HELIX DSP
valj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #60
ryanbmk6
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI REVO stg1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte CC View Post

He thinks his lack of clamping pressure is the problem.

I'm also Revo stage 3 k04. I feel like I could really use a dsg tune. I don't think I'm having any slipping issues. But the trans isn't as smooth as it was when I was stage 2.
ryanbmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:20 PM   #61
tsmack
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2014 GTI Driver's Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbmk6 View Post
He thinks his lack of clamping pressure is the problem.

I'm also Revo stage 3 k04. I feel like I could really use a dsg tune. I don't think I'm having any slipping issues. But the trans isn't as smooth as it was when I was stage 2.
I am extremely happy with the UM DSG tune so far. I was finding that with the K04 the only real option was M mode as the D and S modes just were not shifting at the right times. Also, with the ECU tune the redline is adjusted so even in M mode the DSG would shift too soon. I was finding myself just about to shift on a run, the DSG would shift just as I was requesting an upshift, which would result in a double shift, not what I wanted to say the least.

With the DSG tune, all modes now match properly with the K04 and ECU tune. D mode will hold in the proper gear driving around town, S mode has launch control and is aggressive yet usable, and M mode is quicker and allows for better control. Also the kickdown is removed so you can mash the throttle and not have to worry about hitting the kickdown accidentally. The other nice thing is that the DSG downshifts more appropriately to match revs and load, so there is little to no hesitation when you want to get on the throttle again. Stock the downshifting was terrible to the point the DSG wouldn't downshift at all unless you were almost stopped.

I will be running some logs soon to look at clamping pressure as UM sells that it is increased to hold more torque.
14 DE GTI DSG, APR K04, APR IC, APR V3.1, APR stg 1&2 intake, TOP&TBP, GFB DV+, R8 coils, CTS Catless DP, Stoptech ST-40, UM DSG, H&R front&rear SB, P3Cars, Blk Ch LED tails, smoke sm, ext pdl shifters, Neuspeed insert, 034 billet mounts, Volk ME 19s, Koni Coils, CTX tint, LED reverse and footwells
tsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:28 AM   #62
valj
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf 6 GTI DSG
Quote:
I am extremely happy with the UM DSG tune so far. I was finding that with the K04 the only real option was M mode as the D and S modes just were not shifting at the right times. Also, with the ECU tune the redline is adjusted so even in M mode the DSG would shift too soon. I was finding myself just about to shift on a run, the DSG would shift just as I was requesting an upshift, which would result in a double shift, not what I wanted to say the least.

With the DSG tune, all modes now match properly with the K04 and ECU tune. D mode will hold in the proper gear driving around town, S mode has launch control and is aggressive yet usable, and M mode is quicker and allows for better control. Also the kickdown is removed so you can mash the throttle and not have to worry about hitting the kickdown accidentally. The other nice thing is that the DSG downshifts more appropriately to match revs and load, so there is little to no hesitation when you want to get on the throttle again. Stock the downshifting was terrible to the point the DSG wouldn't downshift at all unless you were almost stopped.

I will be running some logs soon to look at clamping pressure as UM sells that it is increased to hold more torque.
I'm curious to see your logs.

Another issue I'm experiencing is a hesitation during a paddle upshift in manual mode from 5th to 6th gear at WOT closer to the redline. It feels as if it cuts torque and then reengages it. Shifts in all other gears are quick and smooth.
k04 REVO st3 98 oct file / Unitronic CAI with AEM filter / Ultimate Racing catless dp with custom 76 mm catback exhaust / Neuspeed TOP / Forge turbo discharge pipe / GFB DV+ / KONI Yellows with H&R springs / R8 coils / Iridiums / Whiteline engine mount insert / TT-RS lca bushings / R32 BBK with EBC turbogroove rotors and Ferodo DS Performance pads / R18 Detroits on Michelin PSS / Unitronic intercooler / ETON soundsystem with HELIX DSP
valj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #63
tsmack
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2014 GTI Driver's Edition
I have been playing with the VCDS software since getting my cable. I was reviewing the transmission logging options. For those in the know, I am wondering which lines to log as there are more than one. Also, do I log this in a certain gear from like 2000rpm to redline or through the gears up to redline?
14 DE GTI DSG, APR K04, APR IC, APR V3.1, APR stg 1&2 intake, TOP&TBP, GFB DV+, R8 coils, CTS Catless DP, Stoptech ST-40, UM DSG, H&R front&rear SB, P3Cars, Blk Ch LED tails, smoke sm, ext pdl shifters, Neuspeed insert, 034 billet mounts, Volk ME 19s, Koni Coils, CTX tint, LED reverse and footwells
tsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #64
RGTI13
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 D.E. DSG GTI
So what ever happened here? Where is the guy from South Africa with his custom DSG tune logs?

I confirmed my clamping pressure with my HPA software (off the shelf) is increased to 14BAR in 5th gear (where it was slipping). So it looks like HPA customizes OTS software per user based on your logs.

Clamping pressure on drive is OEM which is why it's so smooth.

Looks like APR was incorrect. AGAIN. I would like to see APR back in here.
RGTI13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #65
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
I could have sworn that someone from APR mentioned the new DSG tune would increase clamping or clutch force/pressure. I definitely notice the car being more grabby from Stage 1 DSG to Stage 2 DSG tunes (IHI K03 -> BW K04).
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #66
RGTI13
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfleck View Post
I could have sworn that someone from APR mentioned the new DSG tune would increase clamping or clutch force/pressure. I definitely notice the car being more grabby from Stage 1 DSG to Stage 2 DSG tunes (IHI K03 -> BW K04).
Arin made it SUPER clear that APR does not increase clamping pressure... and then tried to tell us all that nobody can... UNI chimed in with their logs immediately lol.

I confirmed my clamping pressure is definitely increased with HPA.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #67
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
He never said that. He just said if any other tuner is doing it, ask for proof. So either they are doing it and no one else is, or no one at all is doing it. I think they figured out how to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
There's a lot of misconception, that's all. Logging clamping pressure it really easy to do, so proving it should be easy. I'm surprised after all these years no one has. Just try it out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@Unitronic View Post
We do not increase the clamping pressure on our standard [production] performance software for the DSG. However, to achieve beyond 500 Nm, clutch pressure must be increased above the stock pressure limit.

Here is a quick picture of a log for reference of a DSG equipped vehicle making 650 Nm using our Performance Software for the DSG.

Clutch Pressure vs Clamping Pressure
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #68
John@Unitronic
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: MK3 TTRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfleck View Post
Clutch Pressure vs Clamping Pressure
Sorry for the difference is utilized terminology... but the picture posted is pretty self explanatory.
John@Unitronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #69
madmycal
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 5858 DSG GLI
Quote:
Sorry for the difference is utilized terminology... but the picture posted is pretty self explanatory.
So yeah John, I'm going to need this soon
Old 09-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #70
RGTI13
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Yeah - it's just terminology though. What I was saying was APR made it clear that clutch pressure is not increased in their tunes multiple times in other posts.

After logging my HPA tune, clutch pressure has been increased. I'll start saying clutch pressure instead of clamping pressure.

Tags
dsg, k04, tune