GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Euroswitch on '13 Wolfsburg GTI

KGBKnishWorm

Passed Driver's Ed
2013 GTI Wolfsburg, which euro switch is compatible? Its Cdn car, has the LED DRL's so I am assuming this isnt "auto headlamps" but want to make sure...

The 2 options are auto headlamps or standard...

Thanks.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Well it depends what you want. Both are compatible.
The auto one without adding a light sensor module will give you full lights on (same as low beam position) in the auto position and the lights will turn off when your shutdown the car. That's all you get without the sensor.
If you don't want that or want to get a light sensor module (cheap one from China) you should just the standard non-auto one.

You may also want to add the trigger wire (for both) to enable parking lights only in the parking lights position.

KGBKnishWorm

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for reply...

The issue is, I have this switch...

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Lighting/Switches/ES2730457/

...i had a 2011 MK6 w/o LED DRL's and it came with the trigger wire and everything worked fine...sold the car and took the switch out but forgot to take the trigger wire...

I put this switch in the 2013 with LED DRL's and all the lights worked fine but there was no difference, it was as if there was no euroswitch...

My question is do I need to get a different switch than the one above, or do I just need to get the trigger wire?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Thanks for reply...

The issue is, I have this switch...

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Lighting/Switches/ES2730457/

...i had a 2011 MK6 w/o LED DRL's and it came with the trigger wire and everything worked fine...sold the car and took the switch out but forgot to take the trigger wire...

I put this switch in the 2013 with LED DRL's and all the lights worked fine but there was no difference, it was as if there was no euroswitch...

My question is do I need to get a different switch than the one above, or do I just need to get the trigger wire?

You have to disable your DRL's through vag com in order to see any difference using the euro switch. You also need to use the trigger wire.

KGBKnishWorm

Passed Driver's Ed
You have to disable your DRL's through vag com in order to see any difference using the euro switch. You also need to use the trigger wire.

So assuming I get the trigger wire, install it and disable DRL's than the 3 modes on the switch would be....

Default - No head lights, No DRL's and unable to use fogs
Turn 1 to the right - DRL's, No Head lights and able to use fogs
Turn 2 to the right - DRL's, Head lights and able to use fogs

Under this scenario you would never be able to use Fogs w/o DRL's or Headlights...am I understanding this correct?

Also you have been very helpful, thank you.

On ECS website, they do sell the trigger wire, but they say it is only for rear fogs...is this accurate??

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
get the auto switch!!!! even without the light sensor it still works great. if you leave the switch in auto the lights automatically turn on when the car is on. that way you dont have to mess with the switch every day.

KGBKnishWorm

Passed Driver's Ed
get the auto switch!!!! even without the light sensor it still works great. if you leave the switch in auto the lights automatically turn on when the car is on. that way you dont have to mess with the switch every day.

Already have the Standard Switch, but it didnt do anything when I put it in....which made me wonder if the switch wasnt compatible...

The Neutral position had the DRL's on, the second position had DRL's, Headlamps on but the fogs wouldnt come on, and the third position had the DRL's, Headlamps and would let me put the fogs on....it was strange.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Already have the Standard Switch, but it didnt do anything when I put it in....which made me wonder if the switch wasnt compatible...

The Neutral position had the DRL's on, the second position had DRL's, Headlamps on but the fogs wouldnt come on, and the third position had the DRL's, Headlamps and would let me put the fogs on....it was strange.

did you code your car and install the yellow trigger wire?

spiker369

on air, don't care
So assuming I get the trigger wire, install it and disable DRL's than the 3 modes on the switch would be....

Default - No head lights, No DRL's and unable to use fogs
Turn 1 to the right - DRL's, No Head lights and able to use fogs
Turn 2 to the right - DRL's, Head lights and able to use fogs

Under this scenario you would never be able to use Fogs w/o DRL's or Headlights...am I understanding this correct?

Also you have been very helpful, thank you.

On ECS website, they do sell the trigger wire, but they say it is only for rear fogs...is this accurate??

the trigger wire for the rear fog is the same as for the city lights for the euro switch.

But if you want to keep your LEDs as DRLs you can just install the wire and then your lights should work like this:

switch off = LED DRLs, no tail lights, no fogs
switch first position = LEDs (as city lights so dimmed like with low beams), tail lights, optional fogs
switch second position = LEDs (dimmed) + low beams, tails, optional fogs.

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
the trigger wire for the rear fog is the same as for the city lights for the euro switch.

But if you want to keep your LEDs as DRLs you can just install the wire and then your lights should work like this:

switch off = LED DRLs, no tail lights, no fogs
switch first position = LEDs (as city lights so dimmed like with low beams), tail lights, optional fogs
switch second position = LEDs (dimmed) + low beams, tails, optional fogs.

^^this is correct.

I like my LED drl's so see no reason to bother coding them out. It really just depends on what lighting options you want, but either way, you do not need a new switch. Just the trigger wire, which by the way, any local VW dealer will have. I can't remember it now, but I'm sure somebody here will have the part number (or try googling it).

edit: trigger wire VW part # 000 979 009

spiker369

on air, don't care
^ There you go. Do that. ECS will rape you with shipping if you don't plan on buying anything else to reduce the costs.

relicstrat

Passed Driver's Ed
Last edited: