GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

F23T Technical Info Compilation Thread

MelowGTI

Ready to race!
Not even sure if Revo software plays "nice" with the F23.

As far as COBB or Eurodyne it really depends who is going to tune it for you and what is accessible to you.

I like a lot of things about both.

Having multiple tunes on a COBB AP and having that with me would be awesome. It also uses the 3 bar map sensor....though you can tune around it...

If you buy the Eurodyne Maestro suite the logging is hands down the easiest out there. One push start no entering blocks like Vac Com. Everything can also be graphed easier. Also Eurodyne you can also run an aftermarket intake manifold. Eurodyne has DSG software for people that want it.

In the end though it's all about who is doing the tuning and what they want to use. Lots of people will push one or the other.

I've been Eurodyne F23 longer than anyone, probably drive more miles as well. A good tuner will make or break your car and drivability.

I'm starting to lean towards Eurodyne, since I've put a large sum of money into buying a turbo, I feel like it doesn't make sense for me to cheap out on a tune and use a k04 tune just to get by. Maybe the Revo's software will work just fine, but I feel like if you're going to spend the money on a turbo you might as well tune it to its maximum capabilities, rather than paying less for something that'll "work"

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I'm starting to lean towards Eurodyne, since I've put a large sum of money into buying a turbo, I feel like it doesn't make sense for me to cheap out on a tune and use a k04 tune just to get by. Maybe the Revo's software will work just fine, but I feel like if you're going to spend the money on a turbo you might as well tune it to its maximum capabilities, rather than paying less for something that'll "work"

I agree completely. If you can tune yourself or you have someone who can tune on Eurodyne I think you will be very happy with it. If however you intend on calling/emailing Eurodyne to work through issues in a timely manner outside of a file request then you will probably be disappointed. I don't have any regrets but if I were shopping again I would consider Cobb based on the fact that there are more tuners available they have a much wider market so it's not fair to compare the two apples to apples necessarily but rotary made a great point that if you want to run an aftermarket intake manifold then Eurodyne is currently your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nezoid

Ready to race!
Just adding my .02, and I agree with others. The stock F23 Eurodyne tune works.. But just that. Doug (Frankenturbo) and Chris? (Eurodyne) both gave me pointers on what should be adjusted with the tune. Neither went out of their way to ensure my F23 tune was running optimal, but I didn't push it either.

Andy from (tunemasestro.com) did work with me (I donated what I felt was fair, and he seemed genuinely thankful for the donation. I'm currently happy with the car/turbo.)

Nobody around me is familiar enough with Eurodyne to tune it, but I'm thinking about doing a dyno run or two and log it and provide Andy with the info for him to do his magic.

If I had to do it over and pick either COBB or Eurodyne, I would shop around more and see who provided the best support to either and go with that. If I couldn't find support with either, I would pick Eurodyne again because honestly I can't really fault it. Then again I haven't used COBB so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

//Eurodyne Customer Service
Just a note with Eurodyne, I've always had every email answered back. (plus) They seemed to never provide all the answers to the questions I asked (negative) But in the end I'm satisfied.(neutral) If you want to experience their +/- customer support, just send them email with any questions you may have and see how they reply. Then you can decide if it is good enough or not for you.

Last edited:

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Just adding my .02, and I agree with others. The stock F23 Eurodyne tune works.. But just that. Doug (Frankenturbo) and Chris? (Eurodyne) both gave me pointers on what should be adjusted with the tune. Neither went out of their way to ensure my F23 tune was running optimal, but I didn't push it either.

Andy from (tunemasestro.com) did work with me (I donated what I felt was fair, and he seemed genuinely thankful for the donation. I'm currently happy with the car/turbo.)

Nobody around me is familiar enough with Eurodyne to tune it, but I'm thinking about doing a dyno run or two and log it and provide Andy with the info for him to do his magic.

If I had to do it over and pick either COBB or Eurodyne, I would shop around more and see who provided the best support to either and go with that. If I couldn't find support with either, I would pick Eurodyne again because honestly I can't really fault it. Then again I haven't used COBB so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

//Eurodyne Customer Service
Just a note with Eurodyne, I've always had every email answered back. (plus) They seemed to never provide all the answers to the questions I asked (negative) But in the end I'm satisfied.(neutral) If you want to experience their +/- customer support, just send them email with any questions you may have and see how they reply. Then you can decide if it is good enough or not for you.

This is pretty much how my support experience has worked. Issue with the flash process I have an email back within 24 hours. Ask more than one question the one that can be answered in the fewest words is typically answered. Ask for something really crazy like "Hey no one outside of AUTuning is giving me feedback about tuning my car any chance I could bring it directly to you for a tune?" And I get nothing back, same when I requested access to idle warmup so Andy could try to fix my lean at idle condition that occurs every 10 miles or so. Eventually I gave up and just turned off the MIL indicator for that code. But I think that it is fair to point out explicit issues with their service rather than making a blanket statement that it's poor.

FriggenT1

Banned
This is pretty much how my support experience has worked. Issue with the flash process I have an email back within 24 hours. Ask more than one question the one that can be answered in the fewest words is typically answered. Ask for something really crazy like "Hey no one outside of AUTuning is giving me feedback about tuning my car any chance I could bring it directly to you for a tune?" And I get nothing back, same when I requested access to idle warmup so Andy could try to fix my lean at idle condition that occurs every 10 miles or so. Eventually I gave up and just turned off the MIL indicator for that code. But I think that it is fair to point out explicit issues with their service rather than making a blanket statement that it's poor.

Custom tuning is relatively new to these cars, and of course there are no real ots solutions for the f23 like the k04 or ihi, however, there has been thousands of hours spent on all of those files and though more power can be extracted from our turbo, that hasn't reflected at the track at this point for whatever reason. I wish it did, but I'm not seeing high 11 and low 12 second runs at 112+ mph

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Andy does think my car can pull an 11 with slicks and a proper launch. I'm not sure that slicks will take a full second off of my best time but I do experience loss of traction in 1st,2nd, and just a bit in 3rd. So maybe the issue is driver or torque related. Perhaps the extra flow of this over the k04 just can't be taken advantage of with street tires? I know Rotary's car has me beat by at least a tenth thinking his run was 12.87 but he was also in CA in the middle of the day and very well may have been in temps over 100* we also may just need more people to track these turbos to see what they're capable of.

FriggenT1

Banned
Andy does think my car can pull an 11 with slicks and a proper launch. I'm not sure that slicks will take a full second off of my best time but I do experience loss of traction in 1st,2nd, and just a bit in 3rd. So maybe the issue is driver or torque related. Perhaps the extra flow of this over the k04 just can't be taken advantage of with street tires? I know Rotary's car has me beat by at least a tenth thinking his run was 12.87 but he was also in CA in the middle of the day and very well may have been in temps over 100* we also may just need more people to track these turbos to see what they're capable of.

Yes, we definitely do

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I'm a big fan of this turbo and despite some of the ups and downs in finding a tuner it's been reliable for me. I don't work on the car unless I want to and although I do have a boost leak I need to address the car runs strong and has no signs of a leak. For ~$2k I got this turbo, the install kit, the FTop, and Eurodyne Maestro suite. Add a set of summer tires and I was able to officially break into the 12s while running my AC :)

This video is of a "big turbo" GTI the video stated GT2871 but it's on the GTX2867 product page. Capable of 475 hp at $2300 without software or all the required components to install it and he runs 12.4xx with slicks.

https://youtu.be/49Ju0EI-Jc8

Seems like we can argue that bang for the buck is still great even if it doesn't live up to all the expectations.

FriggenT1

Banned
I'm a big fan of this turbo and despite some of the ups and downs in finding a tuner it's been reliable for me. I don't work on the car unless I want to and although I do have a boost leak I need to address the car runs strong and has no signs of a leak. For ~$2k I got this turbo, the install kit, the FTop, and Eurodyne Maestro suite. Add a set of summer tires and I was able to officially break into the 12s while running my AC :)

This video is of a "big turbo" GTI the video stated GT2871 but it's on the GTX2867 product page. Capable of 475 hp at $2300 without software or all the required components to install it and he runs 12.4xx with slicks.

Seems like we can argue that bang for the buck is still great even if it doesn't live up to all the expectations.

Well you didn't say you were running your ac lol, that took off about 20 hp.

12bluemk6

Ready to race!

That's also an atp kit, wonder if it's actually running well lol.. even if it were pulling timing a 12.4 is pretty damn good

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JohnoBurr

Ready to race!
So I'm looking to go F23T and have some general questions about the process, I figured this is the best place to ask.

1. Is a 3 bar MAP sensor required?
  2. Does this ECS install kit (https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Volkswagen_MKV_MKVI_Golf_Jetta_GTI_20T_FSI_TSI_Engine_Frankenturbo_F23T_Hybrid_Turbo_Upgrade_Kit_Tune_Direct_Fit_2006_2007_2008_2009_2010_2011_2012_2013_2014_2015/ES2702503/) include everything needed for an F23 install?
  3. I have an aftermarket TOP (Arm Motorsports), will that fit or is there a specific TOP needed for the F23?
  4. Is a boost controller only needed if not using an F23-specific tune?
  5. What's the most OTS-like tuning solution for the F23? Eurodyne? I have no experience with custom tunes, so this will be new to me.
  6. Does the DV+ play nicely with an F23?

If there's anything else you guys can think of, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

I should mention I'm not trying to wring everything possible out of the turbo and engine. I'd like to go for a nice mix of power and reliability.

Nezoid

Ready to race!
So I'm looking to go F23T and have some general questions about the process, I figured this is the best place to ask.

1. Is a 3 bar MAP sensor required?
  2. Does this ECS install kit (https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Volk...2009_2010_2011_2012_2013_2014_2015/ES2702503/) include everything needed for an F23 install?
  3. I have an aftermarket TOP (Arm Motorsports), will that fit or is there a specific TOP needed for the F23?
  4. Is a boost controller only needed if not using an F23-specific tune?
  5. What's the most OTS-like tuning solution for the F23? Eurodyne? I have no experience with custom tunes, so this will be new to me.
  6. Does the DV+ play nicely with an F23?

If there's anything else you guys can think of, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

I believe I can help with a couple of those.

1. No 3 bar is not required and don't believe it will work out of the box.
2. I believe the TSI install kit from frankenturbo includes a block off plate. Something like https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Block_Off_Plate/ES17602/
3. It comes with a new TOP... frankenTop
4. Only required if not using an F23 tune.
5. I believe COBB might offer something now? I and most other use Eurodyne. Well because that was the only one that offered support for the F23. You'll hear a lot about them good/bad.. But it does work. The stock f23 tune is a lil rough and will benefit greatly from some tweaks.
6. Dunno on this one.

JohnoBurr

Ready to race!
Thanks for the response! I'm currently looking at a used F23, and he does not have the frankenTOP, I'm hoping that can be purchased separately. I'd assume it comes with the block off plate though.