GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reduce exhaust sound, need help

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
The ticket I received talk about the article 258 which is:

258. Every motor vehicle must be equipped with an exhaust system that conforms to the standards established by regulation.

And the standards established by regulation is... Hmm, they are not very clear and they give no link about these standards.

I did some research and I found this: Regulation respecting safety standards for road vehicles

And on this chapter, there is the article 94:

No component of the exhaust system shall be replaced, modified or removed so as to cause the system to be noisier than the one originally installed by the manufacturer on the road vehicle.

They talk about components of the exhaust system. What if I changed the whole exhaust system ? I haven't modified, removed or replaced a components of the exhaust system since a replaced the whole exhaust system...

Seriously it sucks...

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Where do you bought the axle back ? 40$ is a pretty cheap price ;) So you kept the stock exhaust with all the stock components except for the axle-back ?
Correct, I like the look of the rear of the GTI and the GTI suitcase flows better.

EDIT: My friend bought the entire GTI muffler system for $100, as the mid muffler on his 2006 A3 rusted out. He cut the mid muffler out installed it on his A3 and sold me the GTI suitcase muffler. Lots of GTI owners have upgraded their exhaust systems, they are out there for sale but some have kept the old GTI system to reinstall when they sell the car.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Correct, I like the look of the rear of the GTI and the GTI suitcase flows better.

EDIT: My friend bought the entire GTI muffler system for $100, as the mid muffler on his 2006 A3 rusted out. He cut the mid muffler out installed it on his A3 and sold me the GTI suitcase muffler. Lots of GTI owners have upgraded their exhaust systems, they are out there for sale but some have kept the old GTI system to reinstall when they sell the car.

You did get a really good and friendly price, the GTI rear muffler is 336$ US new and the lowest I have seen on used is 135$US and they don't ship to Canada :(

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
If you still have your old VW 2.5 exhaust system you could install the mid muffler instead of the Borla, it would sound like this video of a 2.5 with the rear suitcase delete.
https://youtu.be/VPWLKd1kdMM

I'm not sure if it would sound like this. I still have my old VW 2.5 Exhaust, but I might sell my borla cat-back and put back my old exhaust, cut the rear muffler and put a GTI rear muffler. Because of the downpipe, it would sound louder and I would not be legal, since I modified / removed a component.

With the GTI rear muffler I would be legal since are all my components would be OEM ;)

Do you have a video of your car's sound, would be interested to hear it

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm not sure if it would sound like this. I still have my old VW 2.5 Exhaust, but I might sell my borla cat-back and put back my old exhaust, cut the rear muffler and put a GTI rear muffler. Because of the downpipe, it would sound louder and I would not be legal, since I modified / removed a component.

With the GTI rear muffler I would be legal since are all my components would be OEM ;)

Do you have a video of your car's sound, would be interested to hear it
Sounds like the stock muffler but flows alot better with a 5 to 10 percent bump in milage.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
I put back the stock exhaust and I'm already missing the borla tone, does anyone know where I could get the borla muffler of this exhaust system:

http://techtonicstuning.com/main/in...id=303&zenid=18d254f5394d507c5f7914c3f68129bd

I read that the version with 2 borla muffler is quiet and have a good sporty tone. I'm looking for a muffler which reduce the sound without affecting the tone of my single borla muffler.

Edit:

Do you think this muffler could fit at the rear : http://www.jegs.com/i/Borla/157/40364/10002/-1 ?

Last edited:

Yanik

Wait a minute....where in Canada do you live that they can arrest you for an exhaust? I've heard of impounding, towing, ticketing etc....but never have I heard of anyone being arrested for a noise ordinance infraction. What were you arrested for? Trespassing? Disturbing the peace? What city/province are you in with such draconian lawmakers? Was it RCMP that arrested you?

Jus curious....

slap a suitcase muffler on that bad boy and i'm sure it'll silence right up

Depends on how many times you get pulled for the same offence... or just forward thinking

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Went to an exhaust shop, the guy told me that any of the borla muffler wouldn't fit without a lot of works. The length of all the muffler case are 14 inch which doesn't fit my exhaust piping without cutting and adding extra pipe.

He told a muffler of 8 inch would fit but the only thing I found is a magnaflow street series muffler for 220$ CAD instead of 180$ for a 14inch borla. I don't know how it would sound with my borla muffler and I'm not sure if it would make my car more quiet, I could take the risk of adding it or I could keep my exhaust like that, the price of adding the magnaflow is the same than 2 tickets so maybe I will just take the risk of getting ticketed 2 times. Also geeting a magnaflow is not risk-free, my sound would still sound louder than stock...