GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrading the 2.5L Brakes

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
nope.. still weak in my opinion. BBK it is then..

Yes, a BBK will be much better, but for value, you can't beat the GTI/HPS combo.

I had Boxster brakes, ss lines, and hps pads, and the braking was insane. Now I am back on the stocks with HPS and its pretty good for just a pad upgrade.

I had no trouble with stock brakes slowing down my STG 2 GTI from triple digits. Repetition is where they suffer though. The HPS pads, ss lines and fluid are a great, cheap upgrade, and will take anything but the harshest abuse (road course, ohio 555 etc).

Just my opinion though.

intanetfreak

Go Kart Champion
I'm looking at this as well... sorry to hijack OP...

what's the max rotor size a 16" can handle? ECS has 288mm as the stock, an option for 312mm and also 345mm... any ideas? I run 18" on my summers but use stock 16" for my winters.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
stoptech > Hawk pads, imho and typically dust more. Can also try the posi-quiets as i believe they dust less.

I'd recommend doing stoptech pads front and rear, check part#'s, then look on ebay or carpartkings.com , get them for like $120 or less shipped (probably for both). Do those and possibly lines and fluid, but may not even be needed. OEM fluid is already a pretty damn good DOT4 rated fluid - not many know this, so perhaps bushings would be smarter in this case. With just going to Stoptech Street Performance pads all around you should see and feel a huge difference.

ModBargains

Ready to race!
I have plenty of places I could spend money on my car, but the one aspect of my car that's bugging me the most is the quality of the brakes. I've had a few close calls and the brakes have always felt kind of weak.

I'm thinking I'd be happy with just upgrading to the GTI brakes, but I'm unsure if I'll end up paying a bunch for a marginal difference.

If i was willing to budget $300 for brakes, including labor, do you guys have any better suggestions?

Go with the Stoptech pads with the stainless steel brake line, you should feel the difference . Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions :)

Paul122157

I got StopTech pads with Powerstop rotors. Did the trick. I think I definitely paid over 300 lol but it stops on a dime, probably better than a GTI.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Like others have mentioned blanks are the way to go. I've had slotted/drilled and honestly don't feel much difference compared to blanks. They look much nicer if your wheels allow a nice view but that's about it. I picked up 4 centric rotors and a set of stoptech pads for 265 on autoanything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubeofsoup

Like others have mentioned blanks are the way to go. I've had slotted/drilled and honestly don't feel much difference compared to blanks. They look much nicer if your wheels allow a nice view but that's about it. I picked up 4 centric rotors and a set of stoptech pads for 265 on autoanything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone here believes the Engineering Explained YT channel, he has a video about the pros/cons of the different rotor styles. A TLDW would be: vented will be the best bet for non-track applications that want maximum stopping power and pad life.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
If anyone here believes the Engineering Explained YT channel, he has a video about the pros/cons of the different rotor styles. A TLDW would be: vented will be the best bet for non-track applications that want maximum stopping power and pad life.
Welcome to the Forum!

TLDW ?????

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Too Long Didn't Watch :thumbsup:
Noticed that you're Upstate NY, are you near Watkins Glenn? It's one of my favorite Tracks, getting there can be fun as well. :D Better than Mosport.

Stay with stock solid brake rotors, upgrade the pads (Stop Tech or Hawk HPS). Adding more mass to the package slows the Golf down, if you track the car and all things being equal you'll notice the difference at the end of the straights.

Last edited:

Staver

Passed Driver's Ed
I have plenty of places I could spend money on my car, but the one aspect of my car that's bugging me the most is the quality of the brakes. I've had a few close calls and the brakes have always felt kind of weak.

I'm thinking I'd be happy with just upgrading to the GTI brakes, but I'm unsure if I'll end up paying a bunch for a marginal difference.

If i was willing to budget $300 for brakes, including labor, do you guys have any better suggestions?

I worked with a VW shop local to me and talked to them about brake options. I was encouraged to check out the Tyrolsport master cylinder bracket. The mechanic suggested to me that it is at least 4X as effective as a brake line upgrade. I got one installed and am really happy with the results.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I worked with a VW shop local to me and talked to them about brake options. I was encouraged to check out the Tyrolsport master cylinder bracket. The mechanic suggested to me that it is at least 4X as effective as a brake line upgrade. I got one installed and am really happy with the results.
Hmmm, I may try this !