GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

time for a new clutch

Joe/AWE1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all,

As a long time supplier of South Bend Products, we are here if you have any questions.

Joe/AWE1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Joe,

Have you driven a TSI with the southbend clutch disc upgrade?

-s

I personally have not driven a TSI with a South Bend Clutch yet, but after talking to many that have upgraded to the South Bend TSI package, I've heard nothing but good things.

The South Bend TSI package comes with everything you need to perform the upgrade; flywheel, pressure plate, alignment tool, new bolts, etc. The TSI package also is designed specifically for TSI cars to eliminate clutch chatter to ensure a smooth OEM feel.

djmslash

Ready to race!
I personally have not driven a TSI with a South Bend Clutch yet, but after talking to many that have upgraded to the South Bend TSI package, I've heard nothing but good things.

The South Bend TSI package comes with everything you need to perform the upgrade; flywheel, pressure plate, alignment tool, new bolts, etc. The TSI package also is designed specifically for TSI cars to eliminate clutch chatter to ensure a smooth OEM feel.
Joe, im looking at your website and not seeing any clutches for gti mvi

Larry70454

Ready to race!
if stock clutch lasts me 30k, how much would you say a sb stg 2 kit would last?

That's not a fair question, you should instead ask what's the warranty on their stage 2 clutch kits. That's a question that he can confidently answer without saying things like "should", "might", or "could".

Joe/AWE1

Passed Driver's Ed
if stock clutch lasts me 30k, how much would you say a sb stg 2 kit would last?

The South Bend stage 2 TSI package is build to withstand the added abuse that a higher power car demands. It depends on the driver, and how the car is driven.

That's not a fair question, you should instead ask what's the warranty on their stage 2 clutch kits. That's a question that he can confidently answer without saying things like "should", "might", or "could".

Thanks for the assist Larry! Here is the warranty information listed on South Bend's website:

South Bend Clutch, Inc. warrants that our Clutches are free from defects in workmanship and material under normal use and service. The obligation of South Bend Clutch, Inc. under this warranty is limited to repair or replacement of the defective products, which fails within 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first) after sale (invoice date) South Bend Clutch, Inc. inspection shall disclose to its satisfaction that the Clutch is defective. Buyer must not return the defective parts without the consent of the seller. South Bend Clutch, Inc. shall not be liable for any special, direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages, including, but not limited to, claims for delay, loss of profits, or for labor. No express warranties and no implied warranties either of merchantability or fitness for any particular use or purpose or otherwise, other than that expressly set forth above which are made expressly in lieu of all other warranties, shall apply to clutch products sold by South Bend Clutch, Inc.

The Limited Warranty will not be valid under the following express conditions:
  • When Flywheel was not replaced or resurfaced to specification.
  • Clutches which have been altered, improperly installed, or damaged by accident, negligence or misuse.
  • Burned Clutches.
  • Not installed by a certified mechanic.
  • PRODUCTS USED FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE AND/OR RACING PURPOSES WHICH WERE NOT DESIGNED ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
The South Bend stage 2 TSI package is build to withstand the added abuse that a higher power car demands. It depends on the driver, and how the car is driven.

well lets say the sb kit will be driven exactly the same at the stock clutch...how much "stronger" is it designed to be. i know sb puts out numbers like 70% more clamping force, but what about the disk compound over stock disk compound? whats a average lifetime for these kits that you have seen?

drogersbruh1

Ready to race!
Simple.

1. Get up to 25mph.
2. Put the car in 5th gear.
3. Roll into the gas, don't stomp it.
4. You should be full throttle at around ~30mph.
5. If the RPMs raise faster than normal your clutch is slipping.

doing this wont hurt the clutch more in any way?

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
^^^^I think he's just recommending as a test to see if your clutch is slipping. I don't think it is something you should do regularly, as it probably does wear down your clutch a bit if it is slipping.

Larry70454

Ready to race!
doing this wont hurt the clutch more in any way?

A perfectly healthy clutch won't slip and that won't do much if any damage to it. Just gotta make sure you apply torque in a linear fashion as sudden increases in load is what kills clutches the fastest. Ex: Mashing the go pedal in 6th gear below 1500 RPM will wear your clutch down fast, that's why downshifting is recommended.