GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Boost Gauge Wiring Issue

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Alright, I have my AWE boost guage installed in the vent pod and ready to get pushed back into the vent but the damn thing just will not work correctly. I have it wired up exactly as the manual states but I get no backlighting, the gauge goes crazy when I move the dimmer, and it re-sweeps when I turn off the headlight switch.

The manual specifies the following:

• Red Gauge Wire to Purple/Black Harness Wire - Multimeter reads as Ignition switch on/off
  • Green Gauge Wire to Gray Harness Wire - Multimeter reads as Headlight Switch On/Off (with dimmer)
  • White Gauge Wire to Red/White Harness Wire - Multimeter reads as CONSTANT 12v+ (I am assuming this is the issue)
  • Black Gauge Wire to Brown Harness Wire - Multimeter reads as Ground

I know the connections are not the problem as I am getting the multimeter at the gauge harness plug right where it plugs into the gauge. Anyone have any idea what I need to do in order to get this gauge working properly? I would give AWE a call tomorrow but I'm sure they are closed.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Anyone? Trying to get this all buttoned up.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
I'm thinking bad gauge as well, but I'm not sure why the gauge requires a constant 12v+ connection.

converging26

Passed Driver's Ed
That's the correct hook-up according to AWE

http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/installation_instructionsAWE_mk6_ventboostgauge_2.pdf

Color blind or bad gauge I'd guess..

Yeah I just installed mine last week and you have everything hooked up properly. The troubleshooting solutions on the instructions deal with incorrect/bad wire connections, but they aren't even close to the issues you are having. I would guess it is a bad gauge too, so you will most likely have to talk to AWE about it. Good luck!

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Yeah I just installed mine last week and you have everything hooked up properly. The troubleshooting solutions on the instructions deal with incorrect/bad wire connections, but they aren't even close to the issues you are having. I would guess it is a bad gauge too, so you will most likely have to talk to AWE about it. Good luck!

Just went out for a short test drive and it seems that as long as the headlight switch is turned OFF the gauge functions properly.

As soon as I turn the headlight switch to ON the needle freezes wherever it's at and won't move again until I turn the switch OFF.

When the switch is turned OFF again, the gauge sweeps again and starts functioning.

If the switch is ON and I mess with the dimmer it just keeps sweeping constantly.

Weird issue. I have installed a ton of boost gauges and never seen anything like this. I gave AWE a call and left a message so hopefully they give me a call back Monday.

I almost want to have AWE send me a mechanical gauge as a replacement anyway. The smoothness of this electric gauge is nice, but I like the quick snap of mechanical boost gauges.

converging26

Passed Driver's Ed
Just went out for a short test drive and it seems that as long as the headlight switch is turned OFF the gauge functions properly.

As soon as I turn the headlight switch to ON the needle freezes wherever it's at and won't move again until I turn the switch OFF.

When the switch is turned OFF again, the gauge sweeps again and starts functioning.

If the switch is ON and I mess with the dimmer it just keeps sweeping constantly.

Weird issue. I have installed a ton of boost gauges and never seen anything like this. I gave AWE a call and left a message so hopefully they give me a call back Monday.

I almost want to have AWE send me a mechanical gauge as a replacement anyway. The smoothness of this electric gauge is nice, but I like the quick snap of mechanical boost gauges.

That is really weird that it isn't working when the lights are on. Im kind of a noob with boost gauges, but I know that there were three plugs on the back of the gauge, are you positive it is plugged into the correct position? Hopefully AWE gets this all worked out. I know how much it sucks when you are in the middle of a project and something goes wrong like this. It is really frustrating!!!

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
That is really weird that it isn't working when the lights are on. Im kind of a noob with boost gauges, but I know that there were three plugs on the back of the gauge, are you positive it is plugged into the correct position? Hopefully AWE gets this all worked out. I know how much it sucks when you are in the middle of a project and something goes wrong like this. It is really frustrating!!!

Yep, 100% positive it is installed correctly per the instruction manual. Although, if this gauge is anything like other boost gauges that I have installed the plug on the other side of the middle plug is just a mirror image. I just sent the AWE rep on here a PM so hopefully he sees it today/tomorrow. Otherwise I guess I just wait until Monday.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
The more I think about it, the more it HAS to be a short within the gauge to make it behave like it is. Between my call to AWE, my PM to 2 AWE employees on here/mkV, and my support form to AWE I'm sure they'll get me all squared away on Monday.

Vdiggy

Passed Driver's Ed
I have mine hooked up to work with the headlight dimmer. But now when my system is hooked up my battery drains after sitting for 12 hours.. Anyone know why this is happening?

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
I have mine hooked up to work with the headlight dimmer. But now when my system is hooked up my battery drains after sitting for 12 hours.. Anyone know why this is happening?

Have you tested the wires at the gauge harness plug? If so and they are all clean connections it is likely that you have a short in the gauge as well. Mine didn't seem to drain at all overnight though. Was kind of hoping someone from AWE would have seen my PMs today, but I can wait until tomorrow.

crew219

Banned
It's a bad gauge of course. It happens . . . a lot.

The gauges don't have a very good track record for longevity either.

Dave

Joe/AWE1

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright, I have my AWE boost guage installed in the vent pod and ready to get pushed back into the vent but the damn thing just will not work correctly. I have it wired up exactly as the manual states but I get no backlighting, the gauge goes crazy when I move the dimmer, and it re-sweeps when I turn off the headlight switch.

The manual specifies the following:

• Red Gauge Wire to Purple/Black Harness Wire - Multimeter reads as Ignition switch on/off
  • Green Gauge Wire to Gray Harness Wire - Multimeter reads as Headlight Switch On/Off (with dimmer)
  • White Gauge Wire to Red/White Harness Wire - Multimeter reads as CONSTANT 12v+ (I am assuming this is the issue)
  • Black Gauge Wire to Brown Harness Wire - Multimeter reads as Ground

I know the connections are not the problem as I am getting the multimeter at the gauge harness plug right where it plugs into the gauge. Anyone have any idea what I need to do in order to get this gauge working properly? I would give AWE a call tomorrow but I'm sure they are closed.

PM sent.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....

Joe,

Thanks for the PM. I will check the harness when I get home tonight at 7. I'll shoot you another PM with the results.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Well, it seems like this was a Quality Check issue at AWE. The harness I was shipped with my gauge was pinned incorrectly.

It is supposed to look like this:

but mine had the green/black wires reversed. It was an easy enough fix, but kind of surprised a company with a reputation like AWE let this through.

Props to Joe, Todd, and Chris from AWE for suggesting I check the pin order on the harness.