GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick question about Golf R LEDs: when braking, are all 4 supposed to light up?

masmole

Passed Driver's Ed
or is it just the outer two (and not the portion mounted on the hatch door) that light up brightly when brakes are applied?

Unfortunately, I seldom get to actually admire the lights away from the driver's seat, but today when I was following my gf as she drove the GTI, I noticed only the outer lights would brighten with the brakes applied. Is this normal or is this potentially a VCDS coding issue?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Only the outer lights illuminate when the brakes are applied.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I believe there is but VW designed their cars with only 3 of 5 lights illuminating when braking. I assume this is done for safety reasons so I'll stick with their logic.

masmole

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe there is but VW designed their cars with only 3 of 5 lights illuminating when braking. I assume this is done for safety reasons so I'll stick with their logic.

Makes sense. LEDs are quite focused, very bright, and potentially blinding. Since the outer lights are less directly focused to a following driver's line-of-sight, they would be less blinding than the inner ones. That's my theory at least.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
My thinking is having the variation of light (outers brighter than inners at braking) allows those behind to better tell the brakes are applied. Almost every Euro has separate lights for braking.