GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 GTI Autobahn - walked out of the deal

220volt

Ready to race!
I was at the dealer today and I saw they had GTI Autobahn for $29,240 on sale. I've driven a different Autobahn at the same dealership few months earlier and I loved it. Of course I've negotiated a bit, and he was able to get it down to $28,850 plus taxes and title (no other fees). I think it could have gone down to $28,500 but the manager said that is the absolute best price for autobahn they can do right now.

So I was happy with it and ready buy it on the spot. We filled out the paperwork, pulled credit, negotiated down payment and other administrative things. So we walked out to the car to double check everything and he turned it on and told me there are 660 miles on it. I immediately told him that was deal breaker for me. That is a used car territory now we're talking, but was still interested if he would come down on the price. He brought out the manager (again), but manager did not budge. So I've thanked him for their time and walked out. Manager came after me and asked me how much of a discount I was thinking. I told him $28,000 even. He said "I'm sorry but I cannot do it." Again, I thanked him for their time and walked out for good this time.

My credit score is 810 and I was giving them $17k down payment, plus my car ($3,000) one owner, clean title, and rest to finance. Which I would pay off in about year. So I was a perfect customer on a perfect day (30th of the month at the end of the year). But they lost it. Even after the slow month and needing to move cars quickly. I've been following their GTI stock which hasn't moved in about 3 months now. So I though I could make the deal today (on a perfect buy day), but nope. Did not want to budge.

If he met me in the middle $28,400 I would have accepted it, but did not even tried to counter it. He was thinking little bit and said "I really can't do it". Now, even if he calls tomorrow with little bit better offer, I will stick to my original $28,000. Honestly it's not about the money, but the principle in this case. But life goes on, I am in no hurry.

220volt

Ready to race!
He just texted me (like two seconds ago) stating that he was sorry we could not make the deal and hoping that we might in the near future. But did not mention anything for a discount or price. So I texted back thanking him for his patience and time, reiterating my offer.
They have 4 GTI's that has been sitting there for at least 3 months (that I know of). We'll see if that Autobahn moves quickly.

marsh1665

Ready to race!
a few years ago i bought a Touareg that the dealer had to "trade" with a dealer in Indiana. I specifically asked then to put it on a truck to get it here, but they decided to drive it instead, putting a little over 400 miles on the clock. When i was taking delivery I brought this up and began to walk like you did. I eventually got them to knock 1500 off the price, but i think selling a '10 Touareg to make room for the new redesign was important to them.

If i were you, id revise my offer to 27,500. I'm sure you can get that deal somewhere else.

220volt

Ready to race!
a few years ago i bought a Touareg that the dealer had to "trade" with a dealer in Indiana. I specifically asked then to put it on a truck to get it here, but they decided to drive it instead, putting a little over 400 miles on the clock. When i was taking delivery I brought this up and began to walk like you did. I eventually got them to knock 1500 off the price, but i think selling a '10 Touareg to make room for the new redesign was important to them.

If i were you, id revise my offer to 27,500. I'm sure you can get that deal somewhere else.

Not sure if I can get Autobahn for $27,500, but I'll be happy with $28,000 even. That's a "really" good price for Autobahn edition. If manager cannot get it down in price, they could give me $800 for my trade in and call it a day. They have options on either end.

660 miles is not a whole lot of miles, but it is not a "brand new" car miles and I am not paying the brand new car price. It's as simple as that.

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
Not sure if I can get Autobahn for $27,500, but I'll be happy with $28,000 even. That's a "really" good price for Autobahn edition. If manager cannot get it down in price, they could give me $800 for my trade in and call it a day. They have options on either end.

660 miles is not a whole lot of miles, but it is not a "brand new" car miles and I am not paying the brand new car price. It's as simple as that.

Hey man if you're set on brand new then more power to you, but just think you could probably find a 2012/13 Autobahn CPO with under 10,000 miles for $23-24k relatively easy. Your warranty gets extended and the extra $4k could get you a lot of nice mods.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
660 miles... will take you what 2 weeks to accumulate ?! :laugh: good luck finding another autobahn. They are rare as hell right now.

Cbax38

Ready to race!
The dealer here in NC said they can sell a car with up to 10,000 miles as "new" as long as it is the first time a title is transferred to an owner. (I would never take more than 100-200 miles) I am surprised they didnt take your offer, I got a much better deal on mine a few months ago (msrp 31,800) along with 0% for 72 mos.

Fyi the dealer does not care how much you put "down" but they will be calling your phone tomorrow morning for sure.

georgy

Ready to race!
The dealer here in NC said they can sell a car with up to 10,000 miles as "new" as long as it is the first time a title is transferred to an owner. (I would never take more than 100-200 miles) I am surprised they didnt take your offer, I got a much better deal on mine a few months ago (msrp 31,800) along with 0% for 72 mos.

Fyi the dealer does not care how much you put "down" but they will be calling your phone tomorrow morning for sure.

What he probably meant was that it qualifies for new car financing, which is true.

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

220volt

Ready to race!
Hey man if you're set on brand new then more power to you, but just think you could probably find a 2012/13 Autobahn CPO with under 10,000 miles for $23-24k relatively easy. Your warranty gets extended and the extra $4k could get you a lot of nice mods.

I am not set on brand new, but I would like to see 2013 Autobahn edition for $23-$24 with less than 10k miles. 2011, yes, but 2013, almost impossible. But if you have a link let me know.

220volt

Ready to race!
What he probably meant was that it qualifies for new car financing, which is true.

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

They can't do 0% financing once you used up all VW incentives, which I did. So they had to resort to in house or bank financing, but with 810 credit score they said I could pick any rate they offer. Which on a new car I assume will be 0.9% or 1.9% tops. Which is ok, since I am planning to pay the car off by the end of the year= so interest rate (one percent up or down is irrelevant)

220volt

Ready to race!
Gonna follow this. Curious if you get a call tomorrow to try and close the deal

I am curious myself too actually, especially since tomorrow is the last day in the year and they are closed on January 1st. But I kind of doubt it.