GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Visceralsoup's Golf R build

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
So I pulled the trigger and got a Golf R. After some number crunching I decided it would be better financially for me to start with a k04 platform to meet my goals, so the GTI had to go.

So after a few months of car watching while I was on deployment, a CW 2012 Golf R with 34,000 miles popped up. I was going to be home from deployment in about a week so I contacted them and showed my interest. The day after I returned I was driving home in my new Golf.

As the car sits it's completely stock except for the LED tails I pulled off my GTI. Im picking up a VWR intake this weekend so I will do a review if I can. Following the intake I'm heading over to FourSeasons Tuning in Orange, CA for a UM stage 1 tune. Write up for that will be done as well.

The paint has a couple of rough spots from someone who got handy with a paint pen. I'll work through that down the road.

Also props to ModdedEuros for the free air freshener!!!

UPDATED MOD LIST

United Motorsport stage 2 tuned at 88 octane (cali craptane gas)
Godspeed downpipe
Neuspeed P-Flo intake
Autotech hpfp
Eurojet intercooler
ST suspension
AUtuning TTRS clutch
Evolution motorsport engine cover
P3 V.I.D.I.

Dyno'd 262 whp 325 tq

1/8th mile
8.1 at 86.3 mph
1.85 60'
0-60 at 3.89 seconds

Last edited:

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
First impressions:

Overall I love the car. AWD is so great.
I can definitely feel a drop in power from my stage 2 GTI but that will change soon. The k04 loves to run high RPMs and it doesnt fall on its face. AWESOME!

On the downside the power isnt as immediate as the GTI and I have to occasionally downshift to overtake quickly on the highway.

The leather is ok but I do miss the plaid.

The sound of the engine is definitely throatier but I havent found a soundaktor yet or am even sure that it has one.

Navigation is a huge plus that I didnt have in my previous car. Love having this.

I think I will grow fond of this car more and more as I learn about the R platform and progress with the build.

Green_GTi

Ready to race!
Do you find that you lose much headroom with the Sunroof?

Sent from the ether.

Locke

Ready to race!
Nice! It's always fun to learn about GTI/R differences, as I'm sure most of us lust after AWD and that bigger turbo

tjasko

Go Kart Champion
Do you find that you lose much headroom with the Sunroof?
I didn't notice any difference coming from a GTI with no sunroof to my R that does have one. It's possible you loose a bit, but I definitely didn't notice it.

Says the guy who has his seat all the way up because of "short" people problems... :bellyroll:

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
The sound of the engine is definitely throatier but I havent found a soundaktor yet or am even sure that it has one.

passenger side of the engine bay, pop the trim and unplug it. wrap the connector in a bag. all set. i've heard they're kind of a pain to remove completely.

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
Over the weekend I picked up a Neuspeed P-flo and got a fully loaded United Motorsports tune. The response and power are great!

I'll be uploading photos later and I will do a review in a seperate thread once I get dyno'd.

tjasko

Go Kart Champion
Installed a godspeed downpipe. Not impressed with the fitment. Welds look ok though. Definitely opened the car up more.

Before and after 0-60 times
Stage II+ gives that fast 0-60 times? Geesh, totally wasn't expecting it to be that quick.

What made you not impressed with the fitment? It's totally normal for the downpipe's flex pipe to be close to the driveshaft btw.

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
Stage II+ gives that fast 0-60 times? Geesh, totally wasn't expecting it to be that quick.

What made you not impressed with the fitment? It's totally normal for the downpipe's flex pipe to be close to the driveshaft btw.

Im still UM stage 1. I did try the no lift shift this time. Maybe it was the main difference.

The downpipe wasnt physically long enough to meet the slip joint on the axle-back portion. I actually had to get an additional couple of inches welded on for it to work. Forward of that the fitment was great.